Tim Pawlenty is IN.

So??​

"As CNN reported, thanks to Pawlenty’s refusal to even consider raising revenue, he left office “with a $6 billion deficit and higher unemployment than when he became governor.” In fact, Pawlenty’s deficit was “one of the highest in the nation as a percentage of the state’s general fund, only slightly trailing California’s massive gap,” the Los Angeles Times noted."

He's obviously another....

Tim Pawlenty is pretty boring. I don't care who the GOP runs, they will all turn out to be the same pliable, empty suit they always run.

Nobody over there is exciting or smart.

He was a decent governor. If I remember right he had DFL majorities in both chambers during his terms, so he's definitely familiar with having to compromise and cooperate--even though there was a government shutdown a few years ago.

He's got the resume for focusing strictly on the budget, for better or worse. Early on he was all about expanding Minnesotacare, but then later on in his final term his budget pretty much gorged public-funded health care and a bunch of free clinics had to shut down. Similar story for universities and tuition.

It's disappointing to see him back off from his previous environmental policies. He was a big supporter of ethanol (lots of corn here), and there's tons of state-funded wind farms in southern MN built in the past decade.

Following my gut I think it's going to be sad to watch him walk away from some of his positions and his history of being a relatively-rational center-right politician and become a fiery ideologue to farm votes from the GOP primary base. Hopefully I'm wrong on that.

Tim Pawlenty is pretty boring. I don't care who the GOP runs, they will all turn out to be the same pliable, empty suit they always run.

You're saying Ron Paul nor Gary Johnson is smart? GTFO. Paul and Johnson are smarter than any Dem and Republican in Washington (tied with Kucinich).

He was a decent governor. If I remember right he had DFL majorities in both chambers during his terms, so he's definitely familiar with having to compromise and cooperate--even though there was a government shutdown a few years ago.

He's got the resume for focusing strictly on the budget, for better or worse. Early on he was all about expanding Minnesotacare, but then later on in his final term his budget pretty much gorged public-funded health care and a bunch of free clinics had to shut down. Similar story for universities and tuition.

It's disappointing to see him back off from his previous environmental policies. He was a big supporter of ethanol (lots of corn here), and there's tons of state-funded wind farms in southern MN built in the past decade.

Following my gut I think it's going to be sad to watch him walk away from some of his positions and his history of being a relatively-rational center-right politician and become a fiery ideologue to farm votes from the GOP primary base. Hopefully I'm wrong on that.

He and Bobby Jindal were both hopefuls back in '08. Good to hear about his finer points from someone who knows. The GOP needs to allow their candidates to be themselves, there are a few who could be good at this.

May 05, 2011 06:49 PM
First Republican Presidential Debate:

The Republicans are holding their first presidential primary debate tonight in South Carolina and apparently a few of the participants didn't mind doubling down on the torture card. Chris Wallace asks for a show of hands and who would be willing to continue the Bush administration's use of waterboarding. Herman Cain, Tim Pawlenty and Rick Santorum all raised their hands.

First Republican Presidential Debate: Raise Your Hand if You Support Torture | Video Cafe

20541.jpg

Can someone list his stances on the big issues? Based on what I seen from him in the first GOP debate, he is just more of the same status quo.

Nobody in the race is standing up for civil liberties except for the two Libertarians running! And you know who they are.

Pawlenty is the most viable anti-Romney candidate in the race now and, if Bachmann doesn't get in, the leading candidate to win the Iowa caucuses.

He and Bobby Jindal were both hopefuls back in '08. Good to hear about his finer points from someone who knows. The GOP needs to allow their candidates to be themselves, there are a few who could be good at this.

The way things are shaping up it looks like it will be tough for any Republican governor from a historically liberal state, because their track records will have some moderate policies that won't jibe with this rabid hunt for ideological purity. It's kind of like dating... do you wait around for the perfect person and reject anyone who doesn't live up to your fantasy? That's the recipe for permanent single status.

Are we talking about the same Timmy? The one in Minnesota entered to a "historic" 4 billion dollar deficit. He exited with a 6.25 billion dollar deficit. He used every accounting gimmick known to man and still managed to kick all the problems various distances down the road.

He was a strictly "no new taxes" guy but didn't mind raising "fees" by billions of bucks. Property taxes went out of sight during his term.

As he became closer and closer to running for president, he became less and less of a moderate so that by the time he left office he had abandoned all his previous "principles" to the point where he resembles Bachmann.

As for his ability to get along with the other party, he managed set a record for vetoes. One year he completely ignored the legislative budget and instituted his own relying on a statute designed for unfinished business. Unfortunately the budget was finished he chose to ignore it. The Supreme court ultimately found his actions illegal but there were no penalties.

So if you are talking about Pawlenty be sure you know which one you are talking about, The mild mannered moderate who was elected originally or the guy who lost all his beliefs and principles on the path to the white house.

Wow. What an intelligent response...

And Obama is what exactly other than a blowhard with zero message? Pawlenty makes more sense in 5 minutes than Obama has made in 3 years.

:lol:

Pawlenty's fiscal record:
* Pawlenty moved Minnesota govt spending from +20% every two years to +2%.
* Pawlenty vetoed every tax hike sent to him — $7.5 billion in total, set record for one year. He forced Democrats to accept a three-year property tax cap, saving taxpayers $530 million.
* Pawlenty moved MN from #2 highest tax state down to 12th. Brian McClung: Pawlenty left the state a lot better off | StarTribune.com
* Cato Institute gave Pawlenty A grade for lowering taxes, balancing budget. Pawlenty gets high marks from libertarian group | StarTribune.com
* Rejected Obamacare Governor Tim Pawlenty Tells Minnesota Agencies to Reject ObamaCare Funds | LifeNews.com and advocated market reforms: Brian McClung: Pawlenty left the state a lot better off | StarTribune.com
* Grew a $2.2 billion surplus before the Democrats took over the legislature. Minnesota jobs grew during his first four years until Democrats won.

Weekly Standard: “… he has governed his left-leaning state as a fiscal conservative. Pawlenty was one of just four governors to earn an “A” on the libertarian Cato Institute’s most recent biennial fiscal report card.” A T-Paw Party? | The Weekly Standard

Chris Edwards of the Cato Institute: “I actually went into doing this report card sort of thinking [Pawlenty] was mediocre on fiscal policy. I think he’s been superb about the last five years or so. He’s been a veto king.”

Minneapolis Star Tribune: “During the four decades before he took office, Minnesota government spending had grown by an average of more than 20 percent every two years; on his watch it was less than 2 percent…. When Pawlenty took office in 2003, census data ranked Minnesota second-highest in taxes per capita. Three years later, Minnesota moved out of the top 10 states in taxes — a goal previous governors of both parties had failed to achieve — and is now ranked 12th.”
http://www.startribune.com/opinion/...sc8P:Pc:Ug8P:Pc:UiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7

National Review: “He resolved a $4.5 billion deficit in his first term, instituted performance pay for public-school teachers, cut billions from public-employee pensions, and issued 299 vetoes. For his efforts, the libertarian Cato Institute gave him an “A” rating on its biennial fiscal report card.” The Quiet Contender - Robert Costa - National Review Online

Washington Post: “The decades before he took office saw state budgets grow by an average of 21 percent every two years. He brought that to just under 2 percent, and in 2009, he cut real spending for the first time in 150 years. .” Can Tim Pawlenty light a fire with Republicans?

Kudos to him at least for signing into law Minnesota's mandate that all hospitals and health care providers have interoperable electronic health records in place by 2015. Minnesota was ahead of the curve on that one and that's a decent feather to have in one's cap.

Pawlenty's fiscal record:
* Pawlenty moved Minnesota govt spending from +20% every two years to +2%.
* Pawlenty vetoed every tax hike sent to him — $7.5 billion in total, set record for one year. He forced Democrats to accept a three-year property tax cap, saving taxpayers $530 million.
* Pawlenty moved MN from #2 highest tax state down to 12th. Brian McClung: Pawlenty left the state a lot better off | StarTribune.com
* Cato Institute gave Pawlenty A grade for lowering taxes, balancing budget. Pawlenty gets high marks from libertarian group | StarTribune.com
* Rejected Obamacare Governor Tim Pawlenty Tells Minnesota Agencies to Reject ObamaCare Funds | LifeNews.com and advocated market reforms: Brian McClung: Pawlenty left the state a lot better off | StarTribune.com
* Grew a $2.2 billion surplus before the Democrats took over the legislature. Minnesota jobs grew during his first four years until Democrats won.

Weekly Standard: “… he has governed his left-leaning state as a fiscal conservative. Pawlenty was one of just four governors to earn an “A” on the libertarian Cato Institute’s most recent biennial fiscal report card.” A T-Paw Party? | The Weekly Standard

Chris Edwards of the Cato Institute: “I actually went into doing this report card sort of thinking [Pawlenty] was mediocre on fiscal policy. I think he’s been superb about the last five years or so. He’s been a veto king.”

Minneapolis Star Tribune: “During the four decades before he took office, Minnesota government spending had grown by an average of more than 20 percent every two years; on his watch it was less than 2 percent…. When Pawlenty took office in 2003, census data ranked Minnesota second-highest in taxes per capita. Three years later, Minnesota moved out of the top 10 states in taxes — a goal previous governors of both parties had failed to achieve — and is now ranked 12th.”
http://www.startribune.com/opinion/...sc8P:Pc:Ug8P:Pc:UiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7

National Review: “He resolved a $4.5 billion deficit in his first term, instituted performance pay for public-school teachers, cut billions from public-employee pensions, and issued 299 vetoes. For his efforts, the libertarian Cato Institute gave him an “A” rating on its biennial fiscal report card.” The Quiet Contender - Robert Costa - National Review Online

Washington Post: “The decades before he took office saw state budgets grow by an average of 21 percent every two years. He brought that to just under 2 percent, and in 2009, he cut real spending for the first time in 150 years. .” Can Tim Pawlenty light a fire with Republicans?

I am glad the national press (at least some of them) found Pawlenty such a great guy. Not many Minnesotans will say the same. I especially like the above that he "resolved" a 4.5 billion deficit. That he did, mostly by raiding the state's tobacco fund settlement and he then left us with one that was 50% higher. (6,5 billion) That is very close to being the worst in the US relative to our population.

He wrecked our schools. We did have some job growth but they were crummy, low paying jobs. There wasn't a problem that Timmy couldn't find a way to kick it down the road.

Forum List

Back