Tiger Stadium

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
Don't know if any of you ever watched a baseball game at old Tiger Stadium, but I loved the place. The new stadium (Comerica Park) is OK, but TS was awesome.

TS was located in the Corktown district of downtown Detroit, with the main entrance at the corner of 2 streets - 'Michigan' and 'Trumbull', hence the name of the poem. It was a really crappy area. Imagine the stereotype of downtown Detroit then put a baseball park in the middle of it, and you've nailed it.

I was watching a Tigers game last year and posted this on the Tigers message board. Amazing how easy it is to write something if you really have a passion for it.

Looking back through the years to days way back when
We have so many memories to treasure
Of great Tiger teams that our parents knew well
And the thoughts of which still give us pleasure
So just one more time let us cast our thoughts back
To the place where these greats would assemble
Men like Ty Cobb and Gehringer, Kaline and Kell,
At the corner of Michigan and Trumbull.

A few beers early, in the ‘Batter’s Box’ bar,
Then the walk ‘cross the road to the turnstiles
Gazing up at the big ‘Tiger Stadium’ sign
That turned anyone’s sadness to smiles.
Then across Tiger Plaza and on up the ramps,
But with sunglasses on you might stumble -
It was dark as the underworld under the stands

Emerging from darkness, the emerald green bluegrass
Was the first thing you’d see when you entered
Three-twenty five to right and three-forty to left
And the flagpole, four-forty, in center.
You’d be transported back to a different age
It was easy to feel very humble
The first time you saw that cathedral of baseball

From a seat up in bleacher beach, sun cream in hand,
It was just the most beautiful sight
Or for something more shady then nowhere was better
Than the couch in the overhang in right
Vendors with sodas and 2 kinds of beer
And then if your stomach should rumble
You could feast on steamed hot dogs, the best in the world,

The pop as the first pitch was caught for a strike
Would echo to all parts of the stands
In brilliant white uniforms with old English D’s:
Detroit’s boys of summer, and their fans.
As a ball was popped foul for a fan’s souvenir
You could hear Ernie Harwell’s voice grumble
“And a young man from Lansing will take that one home”
From the corner of Michigan and Trumbull.

But the memories are fading, just like the blue paint
And someday they’ll tear it all down
Now the Tigers have moved to Comerica Park
And there’ll be no more baseball in Corktown
But we’ll always remember with fondness and pride,
Even when the old ballpark has crumbled,
All our heroes, and the pennants and rings that they won

Very nice. I too remember our city ballpark, they have tried to revive some of that old time baseball in Baltimore and our own new stadium. Today, we have several minor league stadiums that bring back a baseball that is less commercial, a time when the players only drug was a cold beer. Boy, how I loved those dogs at the park.

Very nice. I too remember our city ballpark, they have tried to revive some of that old time baseball in Baltimore and our own new stadium. Today, we have several minor league stadiums that bring back a baseball that is less commercial, a time when the players only drug was a cold beer. Boy, how I loved those dogs at the park.

Most minor league stadiums I've seen are VERY commercial. Not only are they sponsored just like big league stadiums, but usually a minor league outfield wall is nothing but advertisements.

I watched a game at the old Tigers Stadium. We were behind the third base dugout, and my friends seat was directly behind a beam. It was great. Got to chat up the players wives!

I have been to Camden Yards to see the Yankees play the Birds. It is an outstanding ballpark with a great atmosphere. Even though it is relatively new, Camden Yards reminds me a little of Wrigley Field. It is great that the park is located within walking distance of the harbor, which is another attractive area.

Most minor league stadiums I've seen are VERY commercial. Not only are they sponsored just like big league stadiums, but usually a minor league outfield wall is nothing but advertisements.

True, but the commercial is more like the old fields with ads around outfield and not behind the batter electronically changing. Someone's gotta pay the bills.

True, but the commercial is more like the old fields with ads around outfield and not behind the batter electronically changing. Someone's gotta pay the bills.

Doesn't really matter where the ads are. Commercial is commercial. You can watch a minor league game on TV, and just like big league games, there will even be commentator talking points that are sponsored. you know, like "Today's Chevrolet Keys to the Game".

I believe that that was the plan in Detroit (to make it somewhat 'old time'). If so, it failed. It's nice enough, but there's so much less atmosphere (or rather there was before the '06 season).

Never been to Camden Yards, but as I'm now moving back to the US I'll get to as many parks as I can over the next several years. Already got my season tix for the Tigs this year.

Incidentally, the first ball I ever caught at a ballpark was hit by an Oriole - Brady Anderson.

being a royals fan I went to the final series to watch the final series played there before they closed it. Great for me that it was against the royals.didnt see the final game but got to go in the stadium to see of the series finals played there before they shut it down,great experience.Comerican park sucks,blow that place up.:sad: Im going to yankee stadium this year to see yankess stadium before they close it down this year.

being a royals fan I went to the final series to watch the final series played there before they closed it. Great for me that it was against the royals.didnt see the final game but got to go in the stadium to see of the series finals played there before they shut it down,great experience.Comerican park sucks,blow that place up.:sad: Im going to yankee stadium this year to see yankess stadium before they close it down this year.

Dude, your punctuation, grammar, and context are ALL messed up. I mean, usually I don't pick on typing, but it's almost impossible to understand what you just said.

I thought it was ridiculous when I heard the Tigers were moving out of Tiger Stadium, but I have to say, Comerica Park is a great place to watch a ball game (with no obstructed views). Still, it doesn't have the atmosphere of TS, and Ruth or Cobb never played there. My roommate is an architect and his firm was hired to design the new development at TS, but with the current economy, who knows if that will ever happen.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back