Tick Removal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zoom-boing, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,122
    Tick removal - Good to know!!

Spring will be here soon and the ticks will soon be showing their heads. Here is a good way to get them off you, your children, or your pets. Give it a try. Please forward to anyone with children... or hunters or dogs, or anyone who even steps outside in summer!!

A School Nurse has written the info below -- good enough to share -- And it really works!!
    I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick. This is great, because it works in those places where it's some times difficult to get to with tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of dark hair, etc.

Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away. This technique has worked every time I've used it (and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic for the patient and easier for me.
    Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way. I even had my doctor's wife call me for advice because she had one stuck to her back and she couldn't reach it with tweezers. She used this method and immediately called me back to say, "It worked!"

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Good Advice! Thanks for posting! My daughter and I love the outdoors, and we love to hike in the woods. I need to pack some liquid soap and cotton balls in my backpack next time we to out!

I also seem to have the mosquitoes go for me, I wonder why that is? They say don't wear any perfume or such when you're outdoors, and I don't. I wonder if it's the soap I use?

3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,922
    damn that was worth paying the 15 bucks for....great advice didnt know that...i guess we are waterboarding the tick

also remember if you are bitten...rocky mountain spotted fever shows in about 3 days...a rash around the ankles (hell i dont know why) and a high fever.

i dont know much about lyme's disease however but someone else does.

4. Agnapostate

Agnapostate BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I assume you use bug spray? I remember a live bite from a mosquito hurt like the deepest circle of hell, and they used to leave my arms looking like the surface of Mars when they attacked me during the night. Bug spray repelled that...to some extent. :lol:

5. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Get some vitamin B. I can't recall off hand what it does but it helps. Garlic pills help also they don't like the smell. I don't go outside in the summer without cutter sprayed anywhere on me that the bugs can get to.

Lyme disease spot...

[​IMG]

6. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Avon Skin So Soft I've heard is excellent mosquito repellent. I've never used it, because I just don't have a huge problem with mosquitoes (and I live in the desert). I know people who've used it on horses, too.

My son is a mosquito magnet. He woke up one morning with 10 mosquito bites on his face alone, and more on his body. Whoever says a mosquito only bites once is lying, because this was obviously a case of one mosquito that bit him over and over. His nose swelled up (2 bites there) as did his eyes and he was pretty low for days.

I bought Burt's Bees herbal insect repellent, because all my kids react horribly to chemical sprays (it burns their skin and doesn't seem to work to keep mosquitoes away). It smells good, it feels good, and he hasn't had a mosquito event since. The house we lived in also had a terrible problem with earwigs coming up from the foundations of the house for about 2 weeks each summer....we had a big fir tree which shed needles all along the house, and those buggers would hatch out and we'd have earwigs all over for a while. Earwigs aren't poisonous and seldom can they even pinch effectively, but believe me it's unnerving to find a half dozen or so in your bed when you pull back the covers. We started shaking out the blankets every single night before bedtime, and I'd cover those kids with burt's bees insect repellent and you know we never had another earwig in the beds...it's pretty pungent and it's oil based so it makes everything it touches smell.

And it smells so good.

7. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,986
    Some of the things you eat attract mosquitoes. Like bananas, mosquitoes love them so if you know you'll be outdoors, don't eat them.

Here is what I was reading recently:

Natural Mosquito Repellents

I have also heard that bees hate the color red. They tend to sting people who are wearing it.

8. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,871
    Granny got her flea an' tick powder out again, goin' after possum...
    :eusa_shifty:
    New Lyme disease estimate: 300,000 cases a year
    19 Aug.`13 — Lyme disease is about 10 times more common than previously reported, health officials said Monday.

9. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,871
    Lyme disease been around for a long time...
    :eek:
    Lyme Disease Bacteria Found in Ancient Amber
    May 30, 2014 ~ Lyme disease - a painful, debilitating disease spread by ticks - was identified only about 40 years ago. But researchers say the bacteria that causes it dates back to the age of the dinosaurs... and those ancient roots may have made it difficult to treat.