Tibetan singing bowls give up their chaotic secrets

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Ceremonial Tibetan "singing bowls" are beginning to give up their secrets.

The water-filled bowls, when rubbed with a leather-wrapped mallet, exhibit a lively dance of water droplets as they emit a haunting sound.

Now slow-motion video has unveiled just what occurs in the bowls; droplets can actually bounce on the water's surface.

A report in the journal Nonlinearity mathematically analyses the effect and could shed light on other fluid processes, such as fuel injection.

At the heart of the phenomenon are what are known as Faraday waves, which arise when a fluid such as water vibrates, constrained by a closed boundary such as the edge of a singing bowl.

BBC News - Tibetan singing bowls give up their chaotic secrets

I didn't get a wink of sleep last night, just because I didn't know about this. I tossed and turned wondering how that was done. Now I know and tonight I will sleep the sleep of the dead. I am eternally greatfull.:razz:

I didn't get a wink of sleep last night, just because I didn't know about this. I tossed and turned wondering how that was done. Now I know and tonight I will sleep the sleep of the dead. I am eternally greatfull.:razz:

Well, glad that I could be of service but wouldn't a nine pound sledge have worked better?

Friend of mine owns one of of these bowls.

It is astounding how loud this thing will get as you rub it.

Beautiful tone until your ears star bleeding.

that is beautiful...thanks for posting this.....spect are you slowly becoming an asshole or have you always been one?

Aww come on that was a little bit funny. I've always been an asshole depending on who you talk to, and get this some people actually like me, go figure? Like everyone I have my days.

Forum List

Back