Thus Spoke Jerome Powell

NightFox

Wildling
Jul 20, 2013
North beyond the Wall
Powell says Fed 'will be patient' with monetary policy as it watches how economy performs

"Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell pledged that the central bank will be watching how the economy performs this year and will adjust policy should growth slow unexpectedly.
Powell along with his immediate predecessors, Janet Yellen and Ben Bernanke, spoke Friday at the American Economic Association's annual meeting in Atlanta.
"As always, there is no preset path for policy," Powell said. "And particularly with muted inflation readings that we've seen coming in, we will be patient as we watch to see how the economy evolves."

Powell says Fed 'wouldn't hesitate' to tweak balance sheet reduction if it was causing problems

"Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell said Friday that the central bank "wouldn't hesitate" to adjust how quickly it lets its balance sheet shrink if it starts to cause problems in financial markets.
"We don't believe that our issuance is an important part of the story of the market turbulence that began in the fourth quarter of last year. But, I'll say again, if we reached a different conclusion, we wouldn't hesitate to make a change," he said. "If we came to the view that the balance sheet normalization plan — or any other aspect of normalization — was part of the problem, we wouldn't hesitate to make a change.
"

Well there it is, the FOMC hasn't used it yet nor have they explicitly said they will use it BUT

They just pulled the FED PUT down from the shelf and dusted it off.

Should be interesting to see what develops from here.

"Tweak balance sheet" = print up more money.

Well we're going to need more after the currency does what fiat currencies inevitably do, after all it's going to take A LOT of dollars to fill those wheelbarrows we'll need in order to buy a loaf of bread.

"I vividly remember paydays… I used to have to accompany the manager to the bank in an open six-seater Benz, which we filled to the brim with bundles and bundles of million and billion mark notes. We then drove back through the narrow streets, quite unmolested. And when the workmen got their wages, they did not even bother to count the notes in each bundle" -- Transport Clerk recalling the Hyperinflation of the Weimar Republic

This nation is doomed unless it gets rid of the Fed.

They haven't increased the balance sheet for over 4 years.
They've been actively "unprinting" money for a while now.

Right, except what Powell is signaling is that the Fed will slow it's pace of "unprinting" money (i.e. "tweaking the balance sheet run off") if it thinks the economic conditions warrant it.

The net effect of which is a larger currency supply than what we would have if they stayed on the planned course, not exactly the same as "printing up more money" but the net effect is the same.

Right, except what Powell is signaling is that the Fed will slow it's pace of "unprinting" money (i.e. "tweaking the balance sheet run off") if it thinks the economic conditions warrant it.

The net effect of which is a larger currency supply than what we would have if they stayed on the planned course, not exactly the same as "printing up more money" but the net effect is the same.

what Powell is signaling is that the Fed will slow it's pace of "unprinting" money

Yes, I agree, slowing the shrinking is not printing more.

Forum List

Back