Thumbs up for a democrat!

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2jMAv3Twgs]YouTube - Specter slams 'death panels' as malicious, vicious rumor[/ame]

While these hometowns have shown a passion on the healthcare issue on both sides, I think it worth pointing out that Sen. Specter has shown a great respect for all views and a great deference for the 1st Amendment in this townhall. While many have placed the mark of unAmerican on these people speaking out, Mr. Specter at least has shown that he does at least respect the rights of those that wish to speak to have a voice. While not his biggest fan, this is an example of a Sen. that at the very least understands the citizens are who he works for. While I could not disagree more with his position on the healthcare issue at least the Sen. seems to have some respect for all those he represents and not some. Next time , perhaps Mr. Specter would do better than passing out 30 question cards and perhaps come up with a better solution to avoid anyone using the biasd finger.

After Specter last debacle of stating that sometimes there isn't time to read a bill, he knew he had to face his constituents or face a for sure political death. Doing another town-hall he had to come across passive and concerned in any hope to keep his seat. We will see how he votes.

Well said Terry, but I do give the Senator much praise for the respect he did appear to show to those that did not agree with his position. At the very least this sort of thing would go a long way in opening up a good debate on the issue, so that perhaps we can get to the business of actually addressing healthcare costs and making it affordable rather than the throw it on the wall and see what sticks approach.

Thumbs up for a democrat.......Republican........democrat. I just know that's what you meant to say huh Navy? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well said Terry, but I do give the Senator much praise for the respect he did appear to show to those that did not agree with his position. At the very least this sort of thing would go a long way in opening up a good debate on the issue, so that perhaps we can get to the business of actually addressing healthcare costs and making it affordable rather than the throw it on the wall and see what sticks approach.
Navy, the man had no choice but to be respectful. He learned his lesson the first time...are we seeing a new and improved Specter....I say a big NO

*laughs* well I did point out that it was in this townhall, and Willow and Skull far be it from me not to address the good Senator is a politically correct manner * laughs* . However one of the main reasons I started this thread was to show that when a Senator or for that matter any figure that represents us allows all those to speak even though he or she may not agree at the very least it can be done without placing a logo on them of unAmerican. Now I do understand that the Senator does understand that people vote for him and that he does have to respond to the voters wishes or be out of a job, and I see nothing wrong with that, in fact if the voters by their actions cause the Senator pause and force him to recognize who he actually works for and to change his way's then thats a good things on both parts.

Note also that the people in the audience treated Specter with respect and got it back from him (well, except for the one guy that was mad because he didn't get a number). It works both ways.

*laughs* well I did point out that it was in this townhall, and Willow and Skull far be it from me not to address the good Senator is a politically correct manner * laughs* . However one of the main reasons I started this thread was to show that when a Senator or for that matter any figure that represents us allows all those to speak even though he or she may not agree at the very least it can be done without placing a logo on them of unAmerican. Now I do understand that the Senator does understand that people vote for him and that he does have to respond to the voters wishes or be out of a job, and I see nothing wrong with that, in fact if the voters by their actions cause the Senator pause and force him to recognize who he actually works for and to change his way's then thats a good things on both parts.
You are right but I'm cynical in believing Specter can change or any political leader for that matter. They reap what they sow.

He admits he hasn't read the House bill, yet vehemently denies this issue. I watched this entire town hall meeting live on TV, the person cited the exact spot in the House bill where this is. Specter just relied on the ol talking points memo to "slam" this.

Otherwise, it was a well run and very good town hall meeting, where Specter got booed alot, mostly for failing to answer the questions and spewing the spoon fed talking points instead.

he admits he hasn't read the house bill, yet vehemently denies this issue. i watched this entire town hall meeting live on tv, the person cited the exact spot in the house bill where this is. Specter just relied on the ol talking points memo to "slam" this.

Otherwise, it was a well run and very good town hall meeting, where specter got booed alot, mostly for failing to answer the questions and spewing the spoon fed talking points instead.
bingo

YouTube - Specter slams 'death panels' as malicious, vicious rumor

While these hometowns have shown a passion on the healthcare issue on both sides, I think it worth pointing out that Sen. Specter has shown a great respect for all views and a great deference for the 1st Amendment in this townhall. While many have placed the mark of unAmerican on these people speaking out, Mr. Specter at least has shown that he does at least respect the rights of those that wish to speak to have a voice. While not his biggest fan, this is an example of a Sen. that at the very least understands the citizens are who he works for. While I could not disagree more with his position on the healthcare issue at least the Sen. seems to have some respect for all those he represents and not some. Next time , perhaps Mr. Specter would do better than passing out 30 question cards and perhaps come up with a better solution to avoid anyone using the biasd finger.

I disagree. Specter's response was essentially dishonest. While it's true that this woman and many who oppose the House bill have misstated or overstated the effect of sec. 1233, they are not so far from wrong about the intent of sec. 1233: the intent is to persuade seniors with terminal illnesses to choose less expensive palliative care in a hospice rather than more expensive intensive care in a hospital, to change the prevailing presumption that everyone wants the more expensive care unless they have otherwise stated their preference for hospice care. Once Medicare gets doctors into the business of talking up hospice care as an alternative to hospital care years before the issue arises, would it be such a big step for Medicare to state that it will only pay for hospice care unless the patient specifically demands hospital care? Would this qualify as "writing off seniors"?

It's true that the woman was tactless and foolish in personalizing her question and it appears Specter may have taken the reference to his age and usefulness as an insult, but do we really want Medicare to try to persuade seniors to die quietly and inexpensively instead of fighting to live longer? The American people deserve straight talk from their politicians on this issue, not the brush off they are getting from Specter and other Dems.

While you would find me as not in favor of this healthcare bill, the point of the thread was to point out that Specter was recognizing the ability of Americans to voice their displeasure and if his last townhall resulted in a knock on the head to get him to understand the simple fact that he represents all those in his district republican and democrat alike then so be it. I was recognizing that Specter in my opinion in this meeting has at least given those who disagreed with him the ability to speak out and not be forced to have the label of unAmerican put on them by the very people who represent them.

There was a live thread on this in current events, I watched most of the meeting.

Arlan talks a good game, let's see how he votes.

While you would find me as not in favor of this healthcare bill, the point of the thread was to point out that Specter was recognizing the ability of Americans to voice their displeasure and if his last townhall resulted in a knock on the head to get him to understand the simple fact that he represents all those in his district republican and democrat alike then so be it. I was recognizing that Specter in my opinion in this meeting has at least given those who disagreed with him the ability to speak out and not be forced to have the label of unAmerican put on them by the very people who represent them.

Specter may have been less rude to this woman than Pelosi or some other Dems might have been, but he still refused to address her concerns about sec. 1233 honestly and respectfully and, imo, that puts Specter in the same place as Pelosi.

"Why is Congress increasing Medicare costs by providing end of life counseling about hospice care at a time when it is cutting hundreds of billions of dollars from Medicare? Isn't this just a soft sell approach to rationing health care to the elderly, Senator Specter?" Regardless of how the woman stated her concerns, this is the question Specter should have heard and should have addressed.

Specter may be more artful in brushing off these questions than Pelosi or some other Dems might have been, nonetheless the fact that he brushes them off is the salient point for me.

Forum List

Back