Thugs

gaffer

Mar 31, 2004
Ohio
Lurking in the back of my mind was something about the radical islamists and another bit of history that I could put my finger on. It flashed out at me tonight. Naturally I don't have time to do any research on it and find some good links I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow.

In the 1800's the british purged India of a religious sect known as the thugs or thugees. These were made up of muslum and hindu men who murdered travelers in India for religious reasons and robbery. They worshiped Kali the goddess of destruction in the Hindu religion. It is estimated they killed up to 2 million people. Their method of killing was strangulation. Their operation is very interesting. They would join in with the travers and wait for the opportunity to strike. Then kill everyone in the group. They had secret signs to identify each other. Only men were allow to take part. Wives and mothers were never told anything about it. They had people who would set up the travelers, others would case out the route, others would pre-dig graves and a select few would do the actual murders.

There are some very interesting parallels here. I remember reading about them about 20 some years ago, inspired by the movie Gunga Din. Could warrant some new research.

Forum List

Back