Thug-registry push in NY

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
ALBANY -- Murderers, muggers and even simple barroom brawlers will find their names on the same kind of public listings now required for pedophiles, rapists and other pervs if the state Senate gets its way.

The Republican-controlled state Senate voted overwhelmingly yesterday to force violent felons to register their names and whereabouts annually with local law enforcement and on an Internet database accessible to the public.

The law would apply to anyone convicted of a crime classified as violent under current state law, ranging from murder to robbery to assault, and would last 10 years from release unless lifted by a court.
Read more: State Senate passes bill to require all violent felons to be listed on a registry after they leave prison - NYPOST.com

Love this idea. Comments?

What exactly would this list accomplish other than make some people "feel good"? Ok, put a violent offender on a list then he goes out and commits another violent felony so what got accomplished?

ALBANY -- Murderers, muggers and even simple barroom brawlers will find their names on the same kind of public listings now required for pedophiles, rapists and other pervs if the state Senate gets its way.

The Republican-controlled state Senate voted overwhelmingly yesterday to force violent felons to register their names and whereabouts annually with local law enforcement and on an Internet database accessible to the public.

The law would apply to anyone convicted of a crime classified as violent under current state law, ranging from murder to robbery to assault, and would last 10 years from release unless lifted by a court.
Read more: State Senate passes bill to require all violent felons to be listed on a registry after they leave prison - NYPOST.com

Hey, wasn't that what ACORN worked on...except they called it 'voter registration.'

What exactly would this list accomplish other than make some people "feel good"? Ok, put a violent offender on a list then he goes out and commits another violent felony so what got accomplished?

That depends. If they're smart, they make it like the sex offender registry where it is a searchable database available to the public online. Then again I think it should include anyone convicted of a violent crime (felony or misdemeanor) and/or a property crime (burglary, grand theft, etc...). Make it searchable by name, address, etc... so people can find out what violent offenders live in their neighborhood; or any neighborhood they might be thinking of moving into. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of me not having to shoot a neighbor while he's trying to break into my apartment.

OK - everybody get your pitchforks, your torches, your ropes and pick axes and meet me on the town hall steps at midnight. We'll march over there and teach that bastard a lesson he'll never forget!

Governments, either national or local, putting people on "lists" leads to loss of rights.

What happened to the good old days when Republicans were against Big Government?

What happened to the good old days when Republicans were against Big Government?

Republicans are against Big Government only as to CERTAIN THINGS, doncha know?

OK - everybody get your pitchforks, your torches, your ropes and pick axes and meet me on the town hall steps at midnight. We'll march over there and teach that bastard a lesson he'll never forget!

Which is preferable to a distraught mother standing in front of a television camera saying.... "If we'd known that people like Mr. Baker lived in this neighborhood we would never have bought a home here and our little girl might still be alive right now." so far as I'm concerned.

Governments, either national or local, putting people on "lists" leads to loss of rights.

These people are criminals. They don't deserve Rights. They have proven an unwillingness or inability to live within proper societal limits and they don't deserve to get the benefits of this society if they can't exist within those limits. Oh, and YES, I understand this is the first step towards "You are Prisoner #24601 not Jean Valjean."

That's the problem with Republicans: You don't know which ones are against big government and those who say they are frequently lie. With Democrats, you know what you're getting.

Government has a proper role and place in society. What Conservatives (not necessarily Republicans) are against is allowing Government to exceed that proper role and place. Inside that role and place Government's power should be very broad and extensive. Enforcing a proper society and culture in this country should definitely be part of that role.

Government has a proper role and place in society. What Conservatives (not necessarily Republicans) are against is allowing Government to exceed that proper role and place. Inside that role and place Government's power should be very broad and extensive. Enforcing a proper society and culture in this country should definitely be part of that role.

хороший пост, товарищ :thup:

I would be willing to help finance your move to Iran where perhaps you would be more comfortable with the judicial system.

Where I live the local newspaper runs a police report every week that lists every single person who was arrested for any crime. I doubt we're unique. So the list is already out there, but I don't think the government should be the one producing it.

I would be willing to help finance your move to Iran where perhaps you would be more comfortable with the judicial system.

We've discussed this before. Get them to allow private gun ownership and I'd be there in a heartbeat. Hell, you might even be able to convince me to convert to Islam.

Where I live the local newspaper runs a police report every week that lists every single person who was arrested for any crime. I doubt we're unique. So the list is already out there, but I don't think the government should be the one producing it.

Ok. So if I'm going to move into town, I need to get the last 25 years worth of newspapers to find out who the bad people in my neighborhood might be? Kind of seems to be pretty unrealistic if you ask me. Also pretty worthless if the police blotter is more than a year or two old with the way people move around.

Ours too. And I have used the NJDOC Offender Registry myself. It looks like NY has one also. Hmmm. The law may be unnecessary. It seems all they will add is the address. Considering how often some of these losers move, it might be impractical.
Inmate Information»NYS Department of Correctional Services

хороший пост, товарищ :thup:

What is that Del, Armenian??? :eek: Are they in solidarity with the proposal? :eek:

Ever read the book "1984"?

This is one of the dumbest ideas in a long time.

I will repeat once more, for the cheap seats;

Republicans are not conservatives!

do they get number also?

Forum List

Back