Thrown out lawsuit awards

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
group article

Common Good's First Annual Gatekeeper Awards
The awards highlight the often overlooked role of judges in determining who can sue for what.

In today’s legal climate, not enough judges are acting as gatekeepers. Anyone can sue for almost anything. Legal fear is transforming America from a can-do nation into one where people are nervous about even ordinary daily activities.

The Gatekeeper Awards honor judges whose decisions restore public confidence that reasonable actions will be supported by the courts, even when they result in unintended consequences.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
group article

Common Good's First Annual Gatekeeper Awards
The awards highlight the often overlooked role of judges in determining who can sue for what.

In today’s legal climate, not enough judges are acting as gatekeepers. Anyone can sue for almost anything. Legal fear is transforming America from a can-do nation into one where people are nervous about even ordinary daily activities.

The Gatekeeper Awards honor judges whose decisions restore public confidence that reasonable actions will be supported by the courts, even when they result in unintended consequences.

Several years ago, we had a motivational speaker at the school where I worked who touched on the subject of frivilous lawsuits. He talked to the kids about how, when he was growing up, the American dream was to get an education, get a good job, and have a family. Today, he said, the American dream was to grow up and sue someone!

The speaker, a retired Air Force fighter pilot, was very good at what he did and made many valid points. Wish I could remember his name. Anyone got a clue? He was black, by the way (not that it makes any difference other than it might help identify him).

:D

I'm on the receiving end of this for a living. You can't believe the stuff I see. I would be embarrassed to bring lawsuits like this. But the chance of making money, it seems, wipes away the shame.

DAMN I'm glad some one is covering the rear here. I have been so consumed with terrorists and the media that I forgot about the lawyers !!! They scare me ty

What drives me nuts its that we still pay so that these assholes can go to court. Thank god some judges have common sense. Like the one where the kid was going 75 in a 25 and not wearing a seatbelt. Then he wants to sue the homeowner for putting his flowerbed in the way of his car as he drove it into the guys lawnn!!! WTF is wrong with people.

Originally posted by insein
What drives me nuts its that we still pay so that these assholes can go to court. Thank god some judges have common sense. Like the one where the kid was going 75 in a 25 and not wearing a seatbelt. Then he wants to sue the homeowner for putting his flowerbed in the way of his car as he drove it into the guys lawnn!!! WTF is wrong with people.

Yeah, I remember when I was a kid and a neighbor got sued because the asshole trying to break into his house tripped on a sprinkler head in the backyard and got hurt.

They call that "payback's a bitch" or karma or something, not "right to sue."

Originally posted by nycflasher
Yeah, I remember when I was a kid and a neighbor got sued because the asshole trying to break into his house tripped on a sprinkler head in the backyard and got hurt.

They call that "payback's a bitch" or karma or something, not "right to sue."

Did it get thrown out or was it a crazy judge trying the case?

Originally posted by TN_Independent
Several years ago, we had a motivational speaker at the school where I worked who touched on the subject of frivilous lawsuits. He talked to the kids about how, when he was growing up, the American dream was to get an education, get a good job, and have a family. Today, he said, the American dream was to grow up and sue someone!

The speaker, a retired Air Force fighter pilot, was very good at what he did and made many valid points. Wish I could remember his name. Anyone got a clue? He was black, by the way (not that it makes any difference other than it might help identify him).

:D

Let's see, black, retired Air Force pilot.

Was it Chappy Sinclair?
Name that movie or actor...;)

Damn, 1986 was a good year.

I like the "loser pays" idea. A plaintiff better have a good and solid case. If he loses, he would have to pay all court costs, and perhaps a large portion of the defendant's attorneys' fees. Doing this will discourage any frivolous suits.

Originally posted by mattskramer
I like the "loser pays" idea. A plaintiff better have a good and solid case. If he loses, he would have to pay all court costs, and perhaps a large portion of the defendant's attorneys' fees. Doing this will discourage any frivolous suits.

Another excellent idea. Man your on a roll Matt.

Originally posted by matt
I like the "loser pays" idea.

Walter Olson agrees. Matt, you would like this guy - very sharp libertarian. Runs overlawyered.com. Check it out.

http://overlawyered.com/

Me, I'm not so wild about loser pays. There has to be (choke! can't believe I'm saying this!) some room for lawsuits that fail. What I WOULD do, however, is cut out "pain and suffering" as something you can get unlimited cash for. This is a big part of the problem. Real damages like hospital bills, OK. But most of the time, this stuff's covered anyway. Give 'em a bottle of JD and move on --- not this five million crap. And don't get me started on racial discrimination lawsuits...

Forum List

Back