Three Things Colleges Don't Want Us to Know

Two I forgot:
How some athletes can pass enough classes to be eligible to play.

How a kid with no money going to school on a Division I athletic scholarship can afford to drive a new $60,000 SUV.

We need to start viewing colleges as places of learning again rather than just a place to get a degree needed for a good job. Only then will they start teaching again.

Learning can happen for free in a public library. Those who go to college need to master a skill or a profession in order to justify the time and expense.

Now we know that 'learning' didn't happen for you anywhere.

By Richard Vedder @ Three Things Colleges Don't Want Us to Know

Universities are in the knowledge business, and the creation and dissemination of it is at the very core of what colleges do. Yet some forms of knowledge about higher education itself are either unknown, or hidden from the public. Why? Release of the information would prove embarrassing and possibly even costly to the school.

1. What Are the Teaching Loads?
2. How Do Pell Students Do?
3. How Much Do Students Actually Learn?

:mad:

Add to that:

4 most of what is taught in college can be learned at a library for free.

No it can't.

Two I forgot:

How a kid with no money going to school on a Division I athletic scholarship can afford to drive a new $60,000 SUV.

How clumsy, uncoordinated losers can be petty, bitter, and envious.

Two I forgot:

How a kid with no money going to school on a Division I athletic scholarship can afford to drive a new $60,000 SUV.[/QUOTE]

they earned the money working at their part time job sweeping floors in the field house ;)

Last edited:
I have been to 4 different colleges/universities. I found them to be a money sucking joke for a higher education.

Sounds like you majored in failing. No, but you go ahead and blame the schools. I'm sure that's much easier to accept........ :eusa_whistle:

Yeah, I started noticing in high school that a lot of people with college degrees weren't really to[sic] impressive.

I suppose that is part of why we don't have a national recommended reading list. I think a lot of kids really want to learn especially6[sic] in early grade school years. But years of boredom and idiotic busy work kill that.

So it is curious that so many people on the Internet complaining about the schools are not providing some serious sources of information.

................................ :rolleyes:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI]Picard's Epic Double Facepalm - YouTube[/ame]

Pell grants come w/ strings attached, the primary one being that a minimum G.P.A. be maintained. Otherwise the Grant will not be renewed.

Ensuring that if you have a Pell Grant, then you'll work your finger's to the bone weaving baskets underwater, and not learning Calculus or Physics.

everyone isn't like you, octoboy

:eusa_hand:

Enough of your jealous whining!

:cool:

By Richard Vedder @ Three Things Colleges Don't Want Us to Know

Universities are in the knowledge business, and the creation and dissemination of it is at the very core of what colleges do. Yet some forms of knowledge about higher education itself are either unknown, or hidden from the public. Why? Release of the information would prove embarrassing and possibly even costly to the school.

1. What Are the Teaching Loads?
2. How Do Pell Students Do?
3. How Much Do Students Actually Learn?

:mad:

Add to that:

4 most of what is taught in college can be learned at a library for free.

No it can't.

Only if you don't know how to read.

Any text book based class can be self taught unless of course you are a complete idiot.

While there are, I am sure, classes in colleges which are based heavily in text reading, I would like to think that they also have some measure of assessed responses which can't be done without a teacher. Other classes which use text reading as a springboard for discussion and group investigation can't be approximated by a lone person in a library. Can information be gleaned by reading a broad based selection of books (in order to balance opinion and confront one text's version with that of another text)? Sure. But a college course isn't just about memorizing facts. It is about building ideas and testing them against the ideas of others in a live (and I hope lively) dynamic fashion.

So could I have gotten all the information from the Intro to Psych class by just reading the book? Much of it but I wouldn't have had a chance to discuss implications or see methods in practice.

Compared to regular school teachers college professors have it made.

On the other hand, they are required to do research and have articles published regularly. This is a big part of their evaluation.

If Pell students aren't doing well the people that hand out the grants and the way it operates needs to change.

In college students are on their own. They can't be herded like third graders. How much the student learns is up to them in most cases.

It is getting so ridiculous in education, I can see it coming where colleges are held accountable for students cutting classes.

Failure to learn never falls on the student anymore.

Pell grants come w/ strings attached, the primary one being that a minimum G.P.A. be maintained. Otherwise the Grant will not be renewed.
And, for most universities, that is keeping a 2.0 or more. Woo. Hoo.

No it can't.

Any text book based class can be self taught unless of course you are a complete idiot.

Maybe someday you'll go to a college and understand why that line you ripped off from a bad movie is wrong.

I have 3 degrees and I got a lot of my credits via the CLEP tests. But you are obviously one of the morons who needs to be spoon fed information so as to regurgitate back on a test that will be graded on a curve only to retain none of the info the next day.

While there are, I am sure, classes in colleges which are based heavily in text reading, I would like to think that they also have some measure of assessed responses which can't be done without a teacher. Other classes which use text reading as a springboard for discussion and group investigation can't be approximated by a lone person in a library. Can information be gleaned by reading a broad based selection of books (in order to balance opinion and confront one text's version with that of another text)? Sure. But a college course isn't just about memorizing facts. It is about building ideas and testing them against the ideas of others in a live (and I hope lively) dynamic fashion.

So could I have gotten all the information from the Intro to Psych class by just reading the book? Much of it but I wouldn't have had a chance to discuss implications or see methods in practice.

So you have to pay tuition to talk to people about psychology?

In my experience the the first year or sometimes two of especially a liberal arts curriculum can be self taught.

Even subjects such as mathematics and physics and basic chemistry.

Lab experience is tough to duplicate but anyone can teach themselves the principles via textbooks.

Maybe someday you'll go to a college and understand why that line you ripped off from a bad movie is wrong.

I have 3 degrees and I got a lot of my credits via the CLEP tests. But you are obviously one of the morons who needs to be spoon fed information so as to regurgitate back on a test that will be graded on a curve only to retain none of the info the next day.

I took CLEP tests while in the military, then attended U of Arkansas after discharging(tee-hee) er, being discharged from the Army.. They were not transferable according to them or my previous military education and physical ed.This was 1988

Forum List

Back