CDZ Three Hurricanes that will likely be felt in the Northeast

william the wie

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2009
The real danger is that the Northeast hasn't seen anything more dangerous than "Super Storm" Sandy in a very long time.

There is nothing like a hurricane code or one way traffic inland put into law much less practiced at night so the cops and other first responders have the for the emergency.

That means even a single Category one hurricane is likely to mismanaged as badly as Puerto Rico was but with higher population density multiplying bad outcomes.

The utility vehicles will already be busy in the Carolinas so getting the grid back up will be to some degree amateur hour as well.

Short of hoping the models are wrong I don't see much that can go right.

Here they come!

Hopefully the pain isn't too bad.

Just remember though, the mid-west is where real estate should be worth the most in this country. We have the occasional Tornado and there once was an earthquake just before the Brits burnt Washington DC, but we have enough water and the temperature isn't on the ridiculously hot extreme like the south and south west.

Come do some real estate shopping folks!

The real danger is that the Northeast hasn't seen anything more dangerous than "Super Storm" Sandy in a very long time.

There is nothing like a hurricane code or one way traffic inland put into law much less practiced at night so the cops and other first responders have the for the emergency.

That means even a single Category one hurricane is likely to mismanaged as badly as Puerto Rico was but with higher population density multiplying bad outcomes.

The utility vehicles will already be busy in the Carolinas so getting the grid back up will be to some degree amateur hour as well.

I don't know where you get this idea that hurricanes are "unknown" in the Carolinas or on the east coast in general. There's already a long history and lots of experience. Of course you provided no link or any material to support this thesis either.

Hell, I saw hurricanes as a child in Pennsylvania. New England maritimes are well familiar with them and the Canadian Hurricane Center operates out of Nova Scotia. They all have to be prepared.

Only one of the Hurricanes is heading to the Coast, the other two are rolling straight west or curving north into the Atlantic respectively.

Plus the other two are weakening due to going over the same initial waters Florence sucked all the energy out of, plus bad shear conditions.

Florence is going to be a bitch, but the States, Cities, Counties and Feds have plenty of time to get ready for it.

Here they come!

Just remember though, the mid-west is where real estate should be worth the most in this country. We have the occasional Tornado and there once was an earthquake just before the Brits burnt Washington DC, but we have enough water and the temperature isn't on the ridiculously hot extreme like the south and south west.

Naaah. You play down the temperature thing but y'all have ridiculous extremes, and of course part of that feeds the tornado breeding ground. I'll hold here in the oldest mountains in the world, far enough inland and high enough in elevation that the worst I have to look out for is a tree blown down.

Here they come!

Naaah. You play down the temperature thing but y'all have ridiculous extremes, and of course part of that feeds the tornado breeding ground. I'll hold here in the oldest mountains in the world, far enough inland and high enough in elevation that the worst I have to look out for is a tree blown down.

Where do you stay exactly? MO here, I mean we see 100F a day or two a summer, we see 0F a day or two also. No water issues, our biggest disasters are floods and well, that's the fault of our big government politicians.

Well, Governor McMaster has ordered the evacuation of all coastal counties in South Carolina beginning at noon tomorrow. The will be reversing all east bound lanes on I26 at that time, which should really muck things up. I'm having trouble understanding why he has chosen to go statewide with this order as the track I've seen on The Weather Channel show the projected path has shifted even further north. I suppose he could be erring on the side of caution, Hugo did shift south at the last minute. Then again, it is an election year and this wide of an evacuation could just be theater for the constituents (yes, I really am that cynical).

Personally, I am not going anywhere. I've water, I've food, I've ammunition, and I have beer...

Here they come!

Where do you stay exactly? MO here, I mean we see 100F a day or two a summer, we see 0F a day or two also. No water issues, our biggest disasters are floods and well, that's the fault of our big government politicians.

I'm in Appalachia, about 3000 feet up, about 400 miles inland. We'll see peripheral effects of the hurricane but even if it tracked right here it would be petered out. I do get winds, only in the winter, but in a dozen years the highest temp I've ever seen in the peak of the worst heat wave, was 89. Tornadoes are virtually impossible. Floods are but it would take a lot.

Realistically the palpable danger would come from drought, if it's enough to set off forest fires. That happened once about three years ago and gave us quite a haze for a while, also cut off a route to the south. But that's unusual too as it's so rainy here.

Forum List

Back