Three Billboards

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Spoiler Alert!

I just saw this well-done film (Three Billboards). The cast is great, acting is great, dialog is excellent, cinematography was very good. All in all a pretty good movie.

With one exception.

The story "ends" with the most obnoxious character enduring a horrific beating in order to basically solve the mystery of the story. Bad guy turns good, not a "happy" ending, but a satisfactory one, with all loose ends tied up.

But they couldn't leave it at that. No, the evidence that the obnoxious character literally risked his life to get, basically exonerated the person that the whole film set up as the unknown perpetrator.

And the film goes on for another ten minutes, leading to - OF COURSE - an ambiguous, unsatisfying "end," which resolves nothing and leaves the two leading characters in a totally ambiguous situation.

Fade to black.

Fuck these Hollywood motherfuckers. They wouldn't know good fiction if it bit their collective dick off. They always want to provide an artsy thought-provoking ending that will keep the audience thinking and talking about what the film really meant. I suspect this excellent film did SHIT at the box-office (relatively speaking), largely because of this totally unsatisfying, artificial ending.

Spoiler Alert!

I just saw this well-done film (Three Billboards). The cast is great, acting is great, dialog is excellent, cinematography was very good. All in all a pretty good movie.

With one exception.

The story "ends" with the most obnoxious character enduring a horrific beating in order to basically solve the mystery of the story. Bad guy turns good, not a "happy" ending, but a satisfactory one, with all loose ends tied up.

But they couldn't leave it at that. No, the evidence that the obnoxious character literally risked his life to get, basically exonerated the person that the whole film set up as the unknown perpetrator.

And the film goes on for another ten minutes, leading to - OF COURSE - an ambiguous, unsatisfying "end," which resolves nothing and leaves the two leading characters in a totally ambiguous situation.

Fade to black.

Fuck these Hollywood motherfuckers. They wouldn't know good fiction if it bit their collective dick off. They always want to provide an artsy thought-provoking ending that will keep the audience thinking and talking about what the film really meant. I suspect this excellent film did SHIT at the box-office (relatively speaking), largely because of this totally unsatisfying, artificial ending.

Saw it about 10 days ago, thought it was excellent as you say, but not happy with the rather amorphous ending. I am pleased it did so well at the Golden Globes.

Great movie! I love the ending. Allows you to create your own..

But we all know what SHOULD happen. :)

That guy is obviously bad, but did not commit the crime. Though he is obviously bad and guilty of similar things. And worthy of death.

The question is whether they will kill him. Or come to a different conclusion. I think they will kill him, and use that as closure for the mother.

Or maybe, they have a change of heart, and next year there will be a new movie: "Four Billboards". :)

I highly recommend this movie! Deserves Best Movie, Best Actress, and Best Supporting Actor.

And best narrating of notes left after death.... RIP Woody!!!

Forum List

Back