Three Americans just won the Nobel Prize in Medicine

Who cares what they believe or not? Their science is impeccable.

If the right wants to push "mystical creation" in public schools as "equal to science?, then they need to prove that it has the right to be part of the same platform.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/science/06nobel.html?hp

Three Americans just won the Nobel Prize in Medicine.

Does anyone believe that "Mystical Creationists" will one day present evidence and win the prize?

What about these three? Do you think they believe in evolution?

You took a wonderful achievement by 3 brilliant scientists and turned it into a flame against Christianity. What in the hell is wrong with you?

Does anyone believe that "Mystical Creationists" will one day present evidence and win the prize?

You took a wonderful achievement by 3 brilliant scientists and turned it into a flame against Christianity. What in the hell is wrong with you?

His idea of tolerance and open mindedness?

A flame against Christianity or fundamentalist thinking?

If left wants to push socialized medicine, we can kiss the nobel prizes goodbye.

What partisan nonsense.

All three reasearchers were probably using public funding (not private funding!) to begin with.

Univ of Cal, John Hopskins and MGH research are all heavily funded by the PUBLIC SECTOR, champ.

Two of the three were immigrants and two of the three worked at publicly funded institutions. This is a very good example of what happens when a country opens its arms to immigration and it's pocket book to open-ended research yet you are asking us to read their minds. Shame, shame.

What should be noted is that all immigration is under attack and public R&D is but a trickle of what it was pre Reagan. Both a greater shame....

I bet only one other poster in this thread has any idea what a telomere is...and you know who you are.

;)

I'm more curious of what they think of the proposed government run health care.

I wonder if in a "not for profit" system they would have had the same incentive to be so good. I hope so.

I wonder if in a "not for profit" system they would have had the same incentive to be so good. I hope so.

They are in basic research, which is funded by government grant.

Never heard of a "really rich" scientist. The amount of work involved plus the tons of study it takes minus the social life divided by the financial return equals a dedicated scientist.

Basic scientists aren't motivated by money, as they make a pittance for their level of education, compared to every other profession (Doctors, Lawyers, Businessmen).

After 5-7 years of living as a graduate student making $20,000 a year, you get a PhD at the bright young age of 30! Then, you're qualified for post-doc positions paying an amazing $40,000 a year, where you will work for 2-5 years. If you're lucky, and making big discoveries, you may even make professor by 40! Professors make an amazing $80,000 a year, which they will make until the day they retire.

You don't get into this field for the money.

Don't get me started on the actual research. Nothing like working 60-hour-weeks for months on a single experiment, only for it to fail. It's not as romantic or cut-as-dry as the public imagines...

Last edited:
Basic scientists aren't motivated by money, as they make a pittance for their level of education, compared to every other profession (Doctors, Lawyers, Businessmen).

After 5-7 years of living as a graduate student making $20,000 a year, you get a PhD at the bright young age of 30! Then, you're qualified for post-doc positions paying an amazing $40,000 a year, where you will work for 2-5 years. If you're lucky, and making big discoveries, you may even make professor by 40! Professors make an amazing $80,000 a year, which they will make until the day they retire.

You don't get into this field for the money.

Don't get me started on the actual research. Nothing like working 60-hour-weeks for months on a single experiment, only for it to fail. It's not as romantic or cut-as-dry as the public imagines...

Amen.

I've had other job offers outside Academia. With my Ph'D in Mathematics, I could easily walk into several jobs paying 1.5x what I currently make. I'd go in at 8am, come home at 5pm, and not have to think about work any further.

Instead, I stay in my office from 8am to 5pm staring at results on a blackboard. I pick up my son from day care, go home, spend time with him, and when he goes to bed at 8pm I stay up till midnight working on the results again at home. We'll get up at 5 am the next day, and do it all again. In the Summer when I'm supposedly "off", I'll work all day on the results without having to go to class to teach. Yipee.

Its not the glamorous life people think it is.

Forum List

Back