Threat to sue athlete for fund-raising brothel

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - The New Zealand Olympic Committee has threatened to sue a local taekwondo athlete who plans to finance his 2012 London Games bid with the proceeds from a brothel.

thoughts? regardless of the law (yes i know) do you think it's a good plan?

Threat to sue athlete for fund-raising brothel | Oddly Enough | Reuters

"Regardless of the law"? It's legal in New Zealand, and as long as it's legal there, that's their prerogative, not my business (nor the committee's)

WELLINGTON (Reuters) - The New Zealand Olympic Committee has threatened to sue a local taekwondo athlete who plans to finance his 2012 London Games bid with the proceeds from a brothel.

thoughts? regardless of the law (yes i know) do you think it's a good plan?

Threat to sue athlete for fund-raising brothel | Oddly Enough | Reuters

I think the New Zealand Olympic Committee has good standing on this, because of the way he is advertising his brothel, in connection with the Olympics..

Assume that marijuana is legalized in NZ too- him opening up a marijuana shop and publicly telling people that it is going to be his means of funding himself through the Olympics, would be, in essence, the same type of damaging action. By saying it publicly, and therefore advertising a link between his business and the Olympics- he is discrediting the Olympics, who may not allow participants to use marijuana even for legitimate medical reasons, or participate in prostitution, even if it is legal. Of course, they have the burden of proof that they do not allow participants to engage in prostitution, to have standing, but I think that if they can fulfill that, then they have a case..

Oh, and there are generally reasons and requirements that any well-run athletic association (and business, school, name your group) has regarding things that are perfectly legal, also..

Like, it is legal to have a lot of debt. That doesn't mean that you can't be disqualified from membership in an organization based on the fact that it is legal to be in debt. A banker would be hard up for a job, if he or she has a lot of debt, in proportion to his income.

It is also perfectly okay to have up to a certain number of points on your driver's license.. Against the law to get the points- but if having those points doesn't inhibit your driving privileges, then it should still be okay for you to DRIVE for a company right? No.. Not at all...

I mean- Football players and people like astronauts and such, are under specific contractual obligations, and are not permitted to take part in activities that are risky, like snowboarding or motorcycling, etc.. It would be damaging to NASA if some astronaut advertised motorcycles, especially if someone who was in the process of getting recruited into the space program was hurt on one that they tried out, as a result of being such a big fan of whatever astronaut was advertising it..

Anyways, yeah I think that NZ has burden of proof in this, but a good case, anyways.

Forum List

Back