Threat of Public Option on Private Insurance

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
:confused:
Someone seriously explain it to me. When I hear the pundit attack it they say, because then everyone will jump over to the public option you know that. If there other argument is that the private option is superior to any public option, then why are they scared? Why would people move over to the public option?

This argument is not making sense to me. I have private insurance and it if the public option is as bad at what the pundits make it to be, then I will stick with the private option. I mean I have the choice of the cheaper HMO, but I choose the more expensive PPO because I like it better. Why won't that argument translate over to public vs private. If the government is going to run public to make it more attractive to people than remaining with private healthcare, why is that a bad thing?

The other argument by the pundits is that these billion dollar organizations are going to voluntarily shut down and say we are offering health insurance anymore? Que? A company will voluntarily close its doors because competition moved in? I don't understand this one either. Like most other business they would either changed in order to compete or if they can't compete they go under? Yet most companies do all they can do before they shut their doors.

You have to make a product people like and need in order for people to buy it. So if the public option is SO bad, if its so inferior to private insurance, why would someone switch? Where would the threat be?

Dive, Willow or Allie please explain it to me! :confused:

What I am seeing is the private insurance companies are seeing is competitions that is going to hurt there bottom lines enormously and they are shaking in their boots! So they are pumping a ton into a PR campaign!

I agree, it makes no sense. On the one hand the right wing and the insurance companies claim that health care providers can't take any competition from the government while on the other they claim the government can't do anything right (which implies that no one will go on the public option).

Pretty stupid, imo. But such is the dishonesty of those opposed to health care for all.

It won't be up to most individuals. We have a small business and pay for BC/BS - $12K a year. If the govt. offers a decent plan at $6K, that's what we'll switch our employees to. My husband can't wait. He doesn't get the big picture.

And as far as the insurance companies doing commercials etc., I've heard the left is spending tons more on PR. Could be wrong. I don't believe half of what they say on TV anymore.

It won't be up to most individuals. We have a small business and pay for BC/BS - $12K a year. If the govt. offers a decent plan at $6K, that's what we'll switch our employees to. My husband can't wait. He doesn't get the big picture.

And as far as the insurance companies doing commercials etc., I've heard the left is spending tons more on PR. Could be wrong. I don't believe half of what they say on TV anymore.
It's the health industry that's spending lots of money to scare people with lies about a public option.
Why would they bother to spend $1.4 million a day to defeat change?

Exactly, but it that government plan at $6K is as bad as the right says it is, then you will either switch back to the private plan or not make the switch to the government plan at all.

The point is people will only switch to the public plan if its better than the private plan. If the argument by the right is that its not better, then what they hell do they have to worry about! If its better and will make the private insurers change their policies and procedures to (1) be more customer focused and (2) be better competitive in pricing and coverage, how is this a bad things for (1) large corporation's bottom lines, (2) small business's bottom line and (3) for the insured? :confused:

It's the health industry that's spending lots of money to scare people with lies about a public option.
Why would they bother to spend $1.4 million a day to defeat change?

Could it be fear of legitimate competition, that could severly hit their bottom line?

:confused:
Someone seriously explain it to me. When I hear the pundit attack it they say, because then everyone will jump over to the public option you know that. If there other argument is that the private option is superior to any public option, then why are they scared? Why would people move over to the public option?

This argument is not making sense to me. I have private insurance and it if the public option is as bad at what the pundits make it to be, then I will stick with the private option. I mean I have the choice of the cheaper HMO, but I choose the more expensive PPO because I like it better. Why won't that argument translate over to public vs private. If the government is going to run public to make it more attractive to people than remaining with private healthcare, why is that a bad thing?

The other argument by the pundits is that these billion dollar organizations are going to voluntarily shut down and say we are offering health insurance anymore? Que? A company will voluntarily close its doors because competition moved in? I don't understand this one either. Like most other business they would either changed in order to compete or if they can't compete they go under? Yet most companies do all they can do before they shut their doors.

You have to make a product people like and need in order for people to buy it. So if the public option is SO bad, if its so inferior to private insurance, why would someone switch? Where would the threat be?

Dive, Willow or Allie please explain it to me! :confused:

What I am seeing is the private insurance companies are seeing is competitions that is going to hurt there bottom lines enormously and they are shaking in their boots! So they are pumping a ton into a PR campaign!

well I like the rest of you am going to have to wait and see what the final bill looks like, but the one in contention places a whole bunch of restrictions on the private, sector health insurance companies, so if you move or change jobs your employer must meet the standards that the gov. will dictate or face a fine. you personally will either be insured or face a fine, they gave a pass to the illegals and will not fine them for not having insurance. I'm not sure the private sector can compete with the democwats in the government takeover of the health industry.

http://blog.heritage.org/2009/07/16/does-the-house-plan-outlaw-private-insurance/

Last edited:
Exactly, but it that government plan at $6K is as bad as the right says it is, then you will either switch back to the private plan or not make the switch to the government plan at all.

The point is people will only switch to the public plan if its better than the private plan. If the argument by the right is that its not better, then what they hell do they have to worry about! If its better and will make the private insurers change their policies and procedures to (1) be more customer focused and (2) be better competitive in pricing and coverage, how is this a bad things for (1) large corporation's bottom lines, (2) small business's bottom line and (3) for the insured? :confused:

I've waded through much of the bill, I don't see a 'going back' option. If you do, just let me know the section. Thanks.

What I'm saying is that MOST companies will switch to the govt. plan if indeed it is cheaper and just as good. It WILL BE SUBSIDIZED. The private insurers won't be able to compete. Not right away; but eventually.

The danger is that most employers will go with the cheaper plan whether it sucks or not. Hence in five or ten years, there will be no private plans. Except for Congress and uber-rich.

What I'm saying is that MOST companies will switch to the govt. plan if indeed it is cheaper and just as good. It WILL BE SUBSIDIZED. The private insurers won't be able to compete. Not right away; but eventually.

The danger is that most employers will go with the cheaper plan whether it sucks or not. Hence in five or ten years, there will be no private plans. Except for Congress and uber-rich.

I understand that, which is the point of over 1/2 the country saying 'no', considering the vast majority want reform, but keep their own plans. You're right, the public option would kill other plans within 5-10 years, max. Again, within the bill i see no 'return section.'

Why don't you paint us 'the big picture' then? From what you're saying, it seems you see it. I'm very interested.

The fuck... everyone just keeps talking a lot of shit and so far I've stayed out of it because it's not my damn country... however, I've lived there for 9 years and remember having medical problems and instead of going to the doctor, staying home and self-medicating, which later on landed me in an emergency room... So yeah, I am fucking interested because in the endless stupidity of my teenage years, I might have landed myself a chronic condition - I've been a poor student that couldn't afford private health insurance. It's also damn incomprehensible to me that so many people are so damn outraged by the fact that the government FINALLY decided to do something about it instead of being goddamn ECSTATIC. WTF? THe only people I can see that might not give a shit are the rich fuckers that don't care either way because they have enough money to have two cancers in their family...

Everyone seems to be so worked up yet most people don't seem to even know what the hell they are talking about.

Good question DavidS, btw...

The fuck... everyone just keeps talking a lot of shit and so far I've stayed out of it because it's not my damn country... however, I've lived there for 9 years and remember having medical problems and instead of going to the doctor, staying home and self-medicating, which later on landed me in an emergency room... So yeah, I am fucking interested because in the endless stupidity of my teenage years, I might have landed myself a chronic condition - I've been a poor student that couldn't afford private health insurance. It's also damn incomprehensible to me that so many people are so damn outraged by the fact that the government FINALLY decided to do something about it instead of being goddamn ECSTATIC. WTF? THe only people I can see that might not give a shit are the rich fuckers that don't care either way because they have enough money to have two cancers in their family...

Everyone seems to be so worked up yet most people don't seem to even know what the hell they are talking about.

Good question DavidS, btw...

So we should be paying for foreign students? If your folks, yourself, or your gov't could afford for you to come here for education, they could pay for your freaking health care.

I've waded through much of the bill, I don't see a 'going back' option. If you do, just let me know the section. Thanks.

Did you see preventing it?

The only real issue is this -- money.

The health insurance industry is terrified it is going to stop making obscene profit margins while not having to insure people.

This is one of the great corporatist scams of all time, and the far rightwing pees on its collective shoe so they can yell at Obama.

Did you see preventing it?

OMG, a TM type question! :eek: Prevent what?

If the public option turns into single payer it will be because Americans decided it one at a time.

Why don't you paint us 'the big picture' then? From what you're saying, it seems you see it. I'm very interested.

The "big picture" as I see it, is what I previously stated. Once private insurers are driven out of the system, we will have no option but single payer. That's what the president has supported for many years. Until a few days ago?

Forum List

Back