Threadkiller or just too damn good?

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Why is it that whenever I start analyzing people's posts and demanding they actually back up their talking points or refuting their assertions.. they tend to disappear and never post in the thread again?

Well I could think of some not-so-obvious answers. For example, maybe they do reply but after you stop looking at the thread? Maybe they have stuff to do - like work - 'n really can't chew the fat with you for more then four or five posts? Maybe your "analyzing" is a little to heated for a true academic setting, which turns them off to the whole thing?

Why is it that whenever I start analyzing people's posts and demanding they actually back up their talking points or refuting their assertions.. they tend to disappear and never post in the thread again?

In addition to Metternich's points, there is also the fact that not everything has a link. The best evidence one can come up with is life, real life, not the digital world. There are many sources in real life which simply do not have links, and not everyone keeps their minds on blogs so opinion can rarely be backed up with a link. In grade school debates consisted of only facts, but that was a technicality so the teachers could grade it, in higher education debate takes on the probable more and often leads into the realms where facts are not cut and dry. Here the debates are much like those, you don't just state facts, everything here is skewed by personal opinion, real life experience, and sometimes just plain ideology.

I don't recll you responding to a post of mine except for the recent, "You're an idiot." True, that kind of well thought out and tightly reasoned response does give one pause, but I did respond to it.

Maybe you are a super genius.

wile_e_coyote_super_genius.jpg

December 26, 2006
Our Overrated Inner Self
By ORLANDO PATTERSON
In the 1970s, the cultural critic Lionel Trilling encouraged us to take seriously the distinction between sincerity and authenticity. Sincerity, he said, requires us to act and really be the way that we present ourselves to others. Authenticity involves finding and expressing the true inner self and judging all relationships in terms of it.

Authenticity now dominates our way of viewing ourselves and our relationships, with baleful consequences. Within sensitive individuals it breeds doubt; between people it promotes distrust; within groups it enhances group-think in the endless quest to be one with the group's true soul; and between groups it is the inner source of identity politics.
Our Overrated Inner Self - New York Times

Hey, I found a new avatar for you...

cartoon_gorilla.gif

Cuz you're a big fat stinky bag of wind. Your responses are so long winded, stoopid, repetitive and wrong, that you leave them speechless.

Forum List

Back