Thread For Mattskramer, Polygamy, Warren Jeffs

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by OCA, Jul 5, 2006.

1. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Remember you are on record here supporting polygamy and freedom to practice religion that involves polygamy.

Do you believe this man to be persecuted because of his religion and that he should be allowed to run his outfit as he sees fit (arranged marriages to underage girls and polygamy) based upon religious freedom?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Jeffs

2. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
  3. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,209
    Nothing wrong with polygamy as long as all are adults and all are consenting...

4. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Grump when the fuck did your nic become Mattskramer?

But anyway thanks for the insight into a morally bankrupt mind and hey.......Warren Jeffs is looking for a few good men, give him a call!

5. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    It always amuses me that conservatives cry religious freedom when it comes to letting children die because their parents don't believe in Doctors, but if Dad has more than one wife, religious freedom goes out the window. Personally, I have no issue with polygamy so long as all the parties consent. As for the underaged girl part, that's another issue. If both she and her parents consent to the marriage, then fine, but there should be some safeguard if she doesn't want to be married. I'm not sure the best way to work this, to be quite honest. Of course, this also depends on the age of the girl, if she's 16 that's one thing, if she's 11 that's quite another. I don't see this as a religious freedom issue as much as a consenting adults should be free to do whatever they want in the privacy of their own homes so long as it doesn't hurt someone else (i.e. murder).

Personally, I think this guy is a nutbag.

acludem

6. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    So Jeffs is arranging marriages between underage girls(take your pick of age he's done them all) to older men 40-70 years old, of course the girl and her family are going to say they consented because ol' Warren has brainwashed them into thinking that they will go to hell if they refuse and at the very least they will be ostracized within the community or worst case..... whacked.

But what the hell? Everyone consents, right?

7. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Seems like all you polygamy lovers out there are just giving me your take on polygamy between consenting and freethinking adults, have some balls and defend polygamy as it is practiced in this situation.

Anybody wanna get Warren's back? Lol

8. acludem

acludem VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I don't condone Warren Jeffs' particular behavior, per se. I think he's a nutjob, but like many nutjobs, he's quite persuasive. The problem is, he doesn't recognize the authority of either the state of Utah or the United States. It doesn't matter to him whether polygamy or underage marriage is legal or not, because he only obeys what he sees as God's authority.

The Wikipedia article only mentions a 16 year old, which, frankly in my opinion, a 16 year old has the mental capacity to decide whether to marry or not. We'll certainly try her as an adult if she kills someone, won't we?

acludem

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    Saying that Warren Jeffs is representative of the problems with polygamy is like saying Jeffrey Dahmer is representative of the problems of being a carnivore.

And the relationship into which consenting adults choose to enter really isn't anyone's business but their own. After all, isn't the bible full of folk who were polygamists? Nothing about it in the 10 Commandments.... :)

10. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    What consenting adults do so long as society deems it to be normal is not anybody's business, polygamy and queer marriage being two glaring examples are EVERYBODY'S business.

A well oiled society must have limits and the majority sets those limits.

Anyway i'm waiting for Matts to reply because he loves that polygamy and incest!

Thanks for your 1 cent worth honey!