Thousands of lethal toys seized

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by NewGuy, Apr 23, 2004.

1. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9355213%5E26462,00.html

It is Australia.....but think about the WHOLE article and what would happen if America was made "safe".

2. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Pretty vague statement, NewGuy. What do you mean?
    Unsafe toys are constantly being pulled off the shelves here in the U.S.
    Thanks to who you ask? Ralph Nader.

He founded the Public Interest Research Groups(an alliance of state-based, citizen-funded organizations that advocate for the public interest) which in its lifetime has pulled many unsafe toys off the shelves.

How do I know? My first job when I was 15 or 16 was with ConnPIRG, the CT chapter. Shitty ass job, I made no money and quit after 3 weeks. But they do good work.
    I am just not a fan of going to people's houses at dinner time asking for contributions.

3. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Of course it was vague. I wanted to get people thinking about the "what-ifs".

Seems most people don't think beyond the latest sound bite anymore. I was looking to get people to consider what DOES happen in the US and how we control our safety and then wether we even SHOULD control it from a governmental standpoint. After that, how do you regulate what is going "too far".

I guess all of that needed to be stated as free thinking didn't happen as I would have hoped.

4. Reilly

Reilly Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    "The yo-yo balls posed a strangulation hazard, according Consumer Affairs officials"

How could one yo-yo pose more of a strangulation risk than another? Is the string made out of fishing wire?

5. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I always think freely ;-)
    edit: I just foiund the question to be vague. Safe from toys, safe from terrorism, safe from eugenics?

6. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    He-he. Razor wire.

7. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    ....... but I still played with my slingshot.

I am surprized that any product gets pulled. If we actually took an objective (non partizan) look and removed it based on the probability of injury, tobacco and alcohol would get banned along with darts and barbie accessories.

Besides if we pulled too many products the product liability lawsuit industry would slump, Caint have that now can we?

8. proud_savagette

proud_savagette Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't help but wonder how many children have died playing with a yo yo....what is their argument concerning the yo-yo, anyway? I mean, sure, in ancient china they used them as weapons, but methinks that they are alot more...domestic..than they were then, eh? I played with yo-yos when I was little, and so did my mom and dad, and my triplet brother and sister, and my little brother, and my grandparents, etc. They never died from that. I've never HEARD of anyone doing that. What are they going to do, unwind it and wrap it around their throats? even then, how would it stay, really? That's strange. Oh well.

9. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    There is an old SNL skit with Dan Akroyd, he is a sleazy manufacture selling toys. One of them was "Bag-O-Broken-Glass"
    :teeth:

10. nycflasher

nycflasher Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    That's the funniest thing I've heard all day.
    Thank you:cool: