Thousands Of Haitian Refugees Headed To Florida: Yea or Nay?...

Most of the immigrants who came here in the 19th century were diseased and illiterate. Next.
No, they wern't.

In fact, the USA turned away anyone who was found to be sick, mentaly disturbed or would be a burden on US society.

There was a huge screening process on Ellis Island for it, it took a week for people to pass and nobody sick got through.

Personally, I'd like to see a link. The only thing I found was this:

Florida - Military personnel at the US naval base at Guantanamo Bay have pitched 100 tents to prepare for a potential influx of Haitian refugees escaping the earthquake-ravaged capital, according to a Miami Herald report. The US Navy commander in charge of the controversial detention centre, Thomas Copeman, on Wednesday said the tents, capable of housing 1,000 people, were being pitched as a precautionary measure and training exercise.

US Coast Guard officials said that Haitians had not yet tried to flee the country by sea. This was due both to the massive relief effort underway and the large presence of ships and aircraft in the area, the report said.

The Guantanamo Bay detention centre, which now holds fewer than 200 prisoners, is located on the other side of the bay - around 30 minutes by ferry from the tent site.

US Guantanamo navy base pitches tents for Haitian refugees : America World

Perhaps because the report was in the Miami Herald, the poor dear got confused.

Oh yeah, and I say yea... if need be. You don't let people die like they did when they turned the boats back circa WWII.

Why would they ever want to come here, with our evil capitalist system, when they have the worker's paradise of Cuba? Or Venezuala? I just don't get it, the boat ride is about the same distance........:rolleyes:

Welcome to America. Now go home.

That's not at all what that poem stands for, and you know it. Oh wait, I guess that's what rich, white waspy MEN think it means.... you know the ones whose great great grandparents were able to read that in person as they floated into the NY harbor on boats and while they were gleefully exterminating my ancestors WHO WERE INDIGENOUS to this country just like everyone from Mexico, Central and South America are... INDIGENOUS to the Americas... Got that gringo?

You don't know what the poem stands for either.

"Most of the early mythologizing of the statue played on its patriotic appeal. The poem, written for a charity auction that raised money for the statue's pedestal, was never commercially published and got no mention at the statue's grand opening in 1886. Lazarus died a year later at age 38. In 1903, her friend from New York high society, Georgina Schuyler, had the plaque made to honor Lazarus. There was no ceremony when it was placed on a stairway landing inside the pedestal. For decades it went largely unnoticed, a memorial to a writer and reformer who died young rather than a defining inscription for the statue."

That's not at all what that poem stands for, and you know it. Oh wait, I guess that's what rich, white waspy MEN think it means.... you know the ones whose great great grandparents were able to read that in person as they floated into the NY harbor on boats and while they were gleefully exterminating my ancestors WHO WERE INDIGENOUS to this country just like everyone from Mexico, Central and South America are... INDIGENOUS to the Americas... Got that gringo?
Nobody was 'indigenous' to the Americas genius, they all came from somewhere else.

Florida - Military personnel at the US naval base at Guantanamo Bay have pitched 100 tents to prepare for a potential influx of Haitian refugees escaping the earthquake-ravaged capital, according to a Miami Herald report. The US Navy commander in charge of the controversial detention centre, Thomas Copeman, on Wednesday said the tents, capable of housing 1,000 people, were being pitched as a precautionary measure and training exercise.

US Coast Guard officials said that Haitians had not yet tried to flee the country by sea. This was due both to the massive relief effort underway and the large presence of ships and aircraft in the area, the report said.

The Guantanamo Bay detention centre, which now holds fewer than 200 prisoners, is located on the other side of the bay - around 30 minutes by ferry from the tent site.

Oh yeah, and I say yea... if need be. You don't let people die like they did when they turned the boats back circa WWII.

200,000 Haitian migrants could file for Temporary Protected Status - Haiti - MiamiHerald.com
The Obama administration is preparing to handle applications from as many as 200,000 undocumented Haitian immigrants who want to live and work legally in the United States under a new immigration program unveiled last week in the aftermath of Haiti's destructive earthquake.

The federal government will begin accepting Temporary Protected Status (TPS) applications on Thursday, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Director Alejandro Mayorkas, whose agency will process the paperwork.

200,000 Haitian migrants could file for Temporary Protected Status - Haiti - MiamiHerald.com
The Obama administration is preparing to handle applications from as many as 200,000 undocumented Haitian immigrants who want to live and work legally in the United States under a new immigration program unveiled last week in the aftermath of Haiti's destructive earthquake.

The federal government will begin accepting Temporary Protected Status (TPS) applications on Thursday, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Director Alejandro Mayorkas, whose agency will process the paperwork.

Fair 'nuff. Thanks for the find. Do you think, just maybe, the applications that are going to be granted are going to be for people who have family here? (I don't know the answer either, btw).

I still say yea for the reason I said before.

Wow. Go here:

Dictionary.com | Find the Meanings and Definitions of Words at Dictionary.com

In the search box type in the word, "Humor" and then hit enter.

:oops:

Now, I want you to reflect upon the fact that some in our country will be willing to force the rest of us to allow them to remain in this country after they arrive, even though they have not gone through the immigration process.

This is called wrong. Look that word up as well.

If they need help, we can better provide it to them in their home country. What us being there already and everything.

:cuckoo:

Nobody was 'indigenous' to the Americas genius, they all came from somewhere else.
I wouldn't even go there. I don't think he got that high in school yet.

Last edited:
The last time there was a huge influx of Haitians we built a refugee camp outside Miami where they could be taught how to integrate into American life then they moved them into a blighted area that just became worse. I can't imagine this turning out much better.

Fair 'nuff. Thanks for the find. Do you think, just maybe, the applications that are going to be granted are going to be for people who have family here? (I don't know the answer either, btw).

I still say yea for the reason I said before.

I am not sure, but it would make sense that the Haitians that have family members in the USA would be prioritized. I don't want to see boatloads of Haitians drowning at sea either. I also do not want to see the state of Florida overwhelmed.

This is not a cut and dried issue for me We have extenuating circumstances that call for a measure of added compassion.

Yea the MSM still wont touch this incredibly disturbing decision by this President. The fear of being perceived as being Non-PC really has paralyzed them on this serious development.

This is for Haitians that are already here. Granting TPS means that sending them back at the moment pretty much ensures they die.

But there isn't much doubt that we will have more Haitians fleeing the disaster.

What else can they do?

Forum List

Back