Thousands in Tokyo protest US military presence

Hey Dude I can't find it but there was a Nightline episode about what a war with N. Korea would be like.....Even if it DIDN'T go nuke in ANY way it was 1,000,000 DEAD or DYING within the first two days. Try to find it if you can it was HORRIFYING! Every time they came back from break Ted Copple would say that this is only hypothetical it's NOT happening but they had a PANEL of military EXPERTS discussing what WOULD happen. End result 1,000,000 people DEAD OR DYING within the first 48 hours.

I'm for anything that will save money. The problem is keeping enough bases around the world to be nimble, but not too many or that wastes money. Japan always used to like our protection especially that China is becoming a super-power. I hope Japan steps up in the Pacific, and the EU steps up as well. We can't keep paying as much as we are now, more than the next 10 militaries combined. Its time to scale down.
The GOJ pays for a lot of improvements and construction at US Military bases in Japan. It's good for business.

Thousands in Tokyo protest US military presence - Yahoo! News

TOKYO – Thousands of protesters from across Japan marched Saturday in central Tokyo to protest the U.S. military presence on Okinawa, while a Cabinet minister said she would fight to move a Marine base Washington considers crucial out of the country.

Some 47,000 U.S. troops are stationed in Japan, with more than half on the southern island of Okinawa. Residents have complained for years about noise, pollution and crime around the bases.

Japan and the U.S. signed a pact in 2006 that called for the realignment of American troops in the country and for a Marine base on the island to be moved to a less populated area. But the new Tokyo government is re-examining the deal, caught between increasingly adamant public opposition to American troops and its crucial military alliance with Washington.
On Saturday, labor unionists, pacifists, environmentalists and students marched through central Tokyo, yelling slogans and calling for an end to the U.S. troop presence. They gathered for a rally at a park — under a banner that read "Change! Japan-U.S. Relations" — for speeches by civil leaders and politicians.

Thoughts?

Well, considering we are responsible for their technological boom of the past. Even though the bomb was horrible, we helped them afterwards. And they don't technically have a military, unless that has changed since the regulations imposed on them since WWII. That allowed them to spend money on education and increased technology.

But I think we should pull our troops from many places across the world, to me its a waste of money, and they can do some good in our own country.
The GOJ is considering amending their constitution to allow the reformation of their military.

What's our Japanese Exit Strategy?

Frankly, I don't give much of a rats patoot on leaving Japan. Unless there's something in those security briefings I don't know about, fine unt dandy. Let's hit the road and leave em on their own two feet and save on the defense spending. Retask the navy to be mobile bases.
Waterworld comes to mind.

The Navy (with all due respect) doesn't know how to fight on the ground. I would not want to station Marines on ships...they'd likely be eating well, but puking themselves into the sickbay.

I say leave. Japan is big enough to take care of itself. And I think it now knows that world conquest is not an option.

I say leave. Japan is big enough to take care of itself. And I think it now knows that world conquest is not an option.

Im sure the Germans learned their lesson after WW1. I doubt they will ever try to take over the world again.

Okinawa is not a naval base it however IS the sole remaining air base and land based operation we have in that neck of the woods. Korea does not count, they do not want more American troops and those there are not deploy-able as they are on a semi war footing in case North Korea attacks.

We have a HUGE air base on Okinawa and about a Regiment of Marines ( though they call it the 3rd mar Div it is anything but.).

That base is very important and for the record very few Okinawan's protest about it. In fact in the 80's and 90's when I was there the Japanese protesters had to fly in protesters when ever they wanted a turn out of any kind. The Okinawan's are very peaceful and actually ask where they may protest at before doing a protest.

The Sun definitely needs to set on the whole "World's Policeman" and "World's Referee" philosophy. That time has passed.

Okinawa is not a naval base it however IS the sole remaining air base and land based operation we have in that neck of the woods. Korea does not count, they do not want more American troops and those there are not deploy-able as they are on a semi war footing in case North Korea attacks.

We have a HUGE air base on Okinawa and about a Regiment of Marines ( though they call it the 3rd mar Div it is anything but.).

That base is very important and for the record very few Okinawan's protest about it. In fact in the 80's and 90's when I was there the Japanese protesters had to fly in protesters when ever they wanted a turn out of any kind. The Okinawan's are very peaceful and actually ask where they may protest at before doing a protest.
okinawa-map-jp1.gif

Okinawa, Japan

US Okinawa Military Bases in Japan

Marine Corps Bases Japan Home Page

Kadena Air Base - Home

U.S. Military Eyes Guam as Staging Post to Counter Threats

Military Installation Guides 2.0

U.S. Department of Defense Official Website - Where We Serve

http://web1.whs.osd.mil/mmid/military/miltop.htm

We have a lot of military in Japan and Okinawa, but we are negotiating other things. We are also going to have a large presence in Central Asia......

okinawa-map-jp1.gif

Okinawa, Japan

US Okinawa Military Bases in Japan

Marine Corps Bases Japan Home Page

Kadena Air Base - Home

U.S. Military Eyes Guam as Staging Post to Counter Threats

Military Installation Guides 2.0

U.S. Department of Defense Official Website - Where We Serve

http://web1.whs.osd.mil/mmid/military/miltop.htm

We have a lot of military in Japan and Okinawa, but we are negotiating other things. We are also going to have a large presence in Central Asia......

What is your point? We still only have about a regiment of Marines on Okinawa and a huge Air base, Iwa Kuni is a small facility. We have not built up Guam and I imagine the people that live there won't be to happy if we try. We have Nothing in Central Asia for bases unless you mean Afghanistan.

We do have large training areas on Okinawa though. And the Okinawa's don't like that. But again the majority do nothing about it only a small group protests.

Forum List

Back