Thousands in Tokyo protest US military presence

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Thousands in Tokyo protest US military presence - Yahoo! News

TOKYO – Thousands of protesters from across Japan marched Saturday in central Tokyo to protest the U.S. military presence on Okinawa, while a Cabinet minister said she would fight to move a Marine base Washington considers crucial out of the country.

Some 47,000 U.S. troops are stationed in Japan, with more than half on the southern island of Okinawa. Residents have complained for years about noise, pollution and crime around the bases.

Japan and the U.S. signed a pact in 2006 that called for the realignment of American troops in the country and for a Marine base on the island to be moved to a less populated area. But the new Tokyo government is re-examining the deal, caught between increasingly adamant public opposition to American troops and its crucial military alliance with Washington.
On Saturday, labor unionists, pacifists, environmentalists and students marched through central Tokyo, yelling slogans and calling for an end to the U.S. troop presence. They gathered for a rally at a park — under a banner that read "Change! Japan-U.S. Relations" — for speeches by civil leaders and politicians.

Thoughts?

Can someone please explain to me why we are still in Japan?

I would assume strategic reasons. Being more so close to North Korea, Russia, China, and a whole other host of other countries. I'd assume at this point that the relations between the U.S. and Japan are on stable terms considering they been one of our strongest allies since the majority of troops left originally.

Not saying that I agree or disagree with that assessment, just that it seems to be the case.

But seems like South Korea would be glad to have us there? Or more of us anyway so as to protect them against big bad poor North Korea.

TOKYO – Thousands of protesters from across Japan marched Saturday in central Tokyo to protest the U.S. military presence on Okinawa, while a Cabinet minister said she would fight to move a Marine base Washington considers crucial out of the country.

Some 47,000 U.S. troops are stationed in Japan, with more than half on the southern island of Okinawa. Residents have complained for years about noise, pollution and crime around the bases.

Japan and the U.S. signed a pact in 2006 that called for the realignment of American troops in the country and for a Marine base on the island to be moved to a less populated area. But the new Tokyo government is re-examining the deal, caught between increasingly adamant public opposition to American troops and its crucial military alliance with Washington.
On Saturday, labor unionists, pacifists, environmentalists and students marched through central Tokyo, yelling slogans and calling for an end to the U.S. troop presence. They gathered for a rally at a park — under a banner that read "Change! Japan-U.S. Relations" — for speeches by civil leaders and politicians.

Thoughts?

Maybe the Japanese should protest the way they treated the Okinawans during their occupation of the island.

How quickly they forget....

But yeah, let the Japanese Defense forces take over protecting their nation and Okinawa. I trained with them for a month or so, and they are great soldiers.

Can someone please explain to me why we are still in Japan?
It's the international military-industrial version of food stamps.

Every time the Pentagon starts considering pulling bases out of Japan and Germany, where the wars have been over for more than 60 years, a lot of the rustics get all up in arms from the bidness they'll be losing.

Lets oblige and get the h*ll out of there. Lets get out of South Korea too. 60yrs is enough over there. They can defend themselves at this point.

I'm for anything that will save money. The problem is keeping enough bases around the world to be nimble, but not too many or that wastes money. Japan always used to like our protection especially that China is becoming a super-power. I hope Japan steps up in the Pacific, and the EU steps up as well. We can't keep paying as much as we are now, more than the next 10 militaries combined. Its time to scale down.

Thoughts?

Well, considering we are responsible for their technological boom of the past. Even though the bomb was horrible, we helped them afterwards. And they don't technically have a military, unless that has changed since the regulations imposed on them since WWII. That allowed them to spend money on education and increased technology.

But I think we should pull our troops from many places across the world, to me its a waste of money, and they can do some good in our own country.

I'm for anything that will save money. The problem is keeping enough bases around the world to be nimble, but not too many or that wastes money. Japan always used to like our protection especially that China is becoming a super-power. I hope Japan steps up in the Pacific, and the EU steps up as well. We can't keep paying as much as we are now, more than the next 10 militaries combined. Its time to scale down.

We own Guam and the Marianas.... that should be close enough!

Let the Japs pay for missile protection from the Norks.
We need bases all over the world, but not that bad. Besides, who wants to listen to a bunch of whiny protesters? When the gov't formally asks, like the Philippines did, then we can leave.

The 30,000 we have in South Korea will be SLAUGHTERED if war starts up again. Get them the FUCK out of the WAY!

Geez are you an idiot.
You think they'll just sit there and do nothing? Think the U.S. will take a few days to think up a response?
Well, with Obama in office that's likely. But really....

What's our Japanese Exit Strategy?

Frankly, I don't give much of a rats patoot on leaving Japan. Unless there's something in those security briefings I don't know about, fine unt dandy. Let's hit the road and leave em on their own two feet and save on the defense spending. Retask the navy to be mobile bases.

We need bases all over the world, but not that bad. Besides, who wants to listen to a bunch of whiny protesters? When the gov't formally asks, like the Philippines did, then we can leave.
Works for me. I'm sure they'll love the drop in foreign aid too.

You know... I wonder how half the world would feel if we took their allowance away (All our foreign aid).

I don't think that was as much of the Philippine gubmint asking us to leave as much as Mt. Pinatubo burying Clark AFB under a shitload of pyroclast.

I don't think that was as much of the Philippine gubmint asking us to leave as much as Mt. Pinatubo burying Clark AFB under a shitload of pyroclast.
Oh.... I fergot about that.

Still, closing Subic Bay has not harmed our ability to project power one bit really.

The 30,000 we have in South Korea will be SLAUGHTERED if war starts up again. Get them the FUCK out of the WAY!

Geez are you an idiot.
You think they'll just sit there and do nothing? Think the U.S. will take a few days to think up a response?
Well, with Obama in office that's likely. But really....

You have NO IDEA WTF you are talking about so STFU and stick your Harry Reid dildo up your ass.

Forum List

Back