Thoughts?

gator1234

Rookie
Nov 7, 2012
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years."

Alexis de Tocqueville: Democracy in America, 1835

I am not just thinking about this due to the election, but it seems to me like America is in the midst of this cycle and decline. If you look at the other great nations in history then you can see that they followed a similar path before their collapse. Luckily, we still have our freedom and can do something about it. I'm of the opinion that the more dependent the people become on the government, the more the government will continue to grow and exert their power, eventually leading to the end of our democratic/republic nation as we know it. Possibly leading to bondage, tyranny, and lack of freedom. What are your thoughts?

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years."

Alexis de Tocqueville: Democracy in America, 1835

I am not just thinking about this due to the election, but it seems to me like America is in the midst of this cycle and decline. If you look at the other great nations in history then you can see that they followed a similar path before their collapse. Luckily, we still have our freedom and can do something about it. I'm of the opinion that the more dependent the people become on the government, the more the government will continue to grow and exert their power, eventually leading to the end of our democratic/republic nation as we know it. Possibly leading to bondage, tyranny, and lack of freedom. What are your thoughts?

It's a bunch of BS. In the end, it's all about the middle class. When the middle class does well, government becomes more conservative, because the majority are doing well. When the middle class is taking it up the ass, then they revolt and go for more progressive government. This is why the wealthy will see the taxes they pay go up and down based on how well the middle class is doing.

Right now, the wealthy are getting richer and richer at the expense of the middle class, so now the middle class is beginning to lash out at the wealthy. One way or another, middle class wages will begin to rise again, and when they do, then the middle class will get more conservative again.

The system actually works very well. The only ones who never get much benefit at all is the really poor, although in bad times they seem to take the blame, which is just really stupid.

Forum List

Back