Thoughts On Growing Old

That's the circle though... We all face the inevitable equalizer - and no matter how fancy your coffin is, stuffing it with gold is a fools errand.

It's true we all die, and that stuffing your coffin with gold is a fool's errand.

My message was about saving up and investing money for when you're old. When you die you can pass it on. You can also help ensure your costs are covered. Being in the health care field and actually being there and experiencing these things firsthand, I've seen more than a few times clients suffer and struggle because their money runs... out.

If your insurance isn't good, and you require many different medications, you could be in a lot of financial trouble. Home care agencies, physical therapy, hospice, funeral services, occupational therapy, etc are all expensive depending on your situation. I would rather amass someone north of one million dollars than $200,000 for retirement.

You can't use it once you're dead, but you can use it before you die... and pass it along to give your loved ones a better future than you had.

Excellent post. Saving and investing in order to have a self-sufficient retirement should be a part of one's financial lifestyle.

Naw, just live like a kid all your life, spend it all, Obama will take care of ya.

no , no problems like that Ninja even though I broke my back in the teen days of my life . Crushed 2 of the lower vertebrae . All kinds of talk about how to fix it , my DAD and MOM said no surgery so they kept me in hospital on my back and I was bent at my back in a bed for 3 months . Then I got a bent Cast from the waist to shoulder height for a year , then a removable metal and canvas brace . I never wore the brace against doctors advice and my backs been good fer the last 50 or so years !! Getting older certainly hasn't bothered my general health as the little Problems I've had I've fixed by being normal . I eat better and less , I sleep better , I take no prescriptions . My back has been noticeable as a dull reminder for these 50 years but its never bothered me or stopped me from doing anything and I worked hard physical jobs for a portion of my life . Seriously , I attribute my general good health to good genes and [seriously] , I was a breast fed baby !! Never really been sick outside childhood measles , chickenpox , etc !!
I'm still breast feeding....

That's the circle though... We all face the inevitable equalizer - and no matter how fancy your coffin is, stuffing it with gold is a fools errand.

It's true we all die, and that stuffing your coffin with gold is a fool's errand.

My message was about saving up and investing money for when you're old. When you die you can pass it on. You can also help ensure your costs are covered. Being in the health care field and actually being there and experiencing these things firsthand, I've seen more than a few times clients suffer and struggle because their money runs... out.

If your insurance isn't good, and you require many different medications, you could be in a lot of financial trouble. Home care agencies, physical therapy, hospice, funeral services, occupational therapy, etc are all expensive depending on your situation. I would rather amass someone north of one million dollars than $200,000 for retirement.

You can't use it once you're dead, but you can use it before you die... and pass it along to give your loved ones a better future than you had.

Excellent post. Saving and investing in order to have a self-sufficient retirement should be a part of one's financial lifestyle.

Naw, just live like a kid all your life, spend it all, Obama will take care of ya.
He makes house calls now?

no , no problems like that Ninja even though I broke my back in the teen days of my life . Crushed 2 of the lower vertebrae . All kinds of talk about how to fix it , my DAD and MOM said no surgery so they kept me in hospital on my back and I was bent at my back in a bed for 3 months . Then I got a bent Cast from the waist to shoulder height for a year , then a removable metal and canvas brace . I never wore the brace against doctors advice and my backs been good fer the last 50 or so years !! Getting older certainly hasn't bothered my general health as the little Problems I've had I've fixed by being normal . I eat better and less , I sleep better , I take no prescriptions . My back has been noticeable as a dull reminder for these 50 years but its never bothered me or stopped me from doing anything and I worked hard physical jobs for a portion of my life . Seriously , I attribute my general good health to good genes and [seriously] , I was a breast fed baby !! Never really been sick outside childhood measles , chickenpox , etc !!
I'm still breast feeding....
Hmmm, me too.

I attribute my happiness at 66 to it.

I've already started following some of the advice Wake wrote about. I've recently lost about 40 lbs and have changed my diet drastically. I feel so much better, physically and mentally. Just to be able to look at my reflection and not think, who is that old, fat, geezer? Some of my persistent aches and pains are fading, as well. I guess that extra 40 lbs took a toll on the knees, hips, and back that you don't notice until they don't ache all the time.
Growing old is, indeed, no picnic. But if you find you can't do some of the things you used to do, find new things better suited to your abilities. Cherish your family and friends. Enjoy life!

All true. But I simply refuse to give in and BE old, you know? For most of us our priorities do change as we get older--we have a different perception of what is really important and what there is to be afraid of--but otherwise we feel as deeply, laugh as much, grieve as much, care as much, want as much, hope as much, and things mean as much as they ever did.
I still dress like I did 40 years ago, without the platforms and bell bottoms...

I do too except that I long ago gave up uncomfortable shoes and uncomfortable clothing. I am grateful that I live in a part of the country that doesn't require people to get all gussied up for most occasions and everything is usually pretty laid back, casual, and comfortable. In my Minnetonka moccasins, jeans, and sweat shirt, I'm appropriately dressed to go just about anywhere and I love it. :)

BS you raise kids to earn a good income and move in with them...
Two of my kids are earning more than dear old dad. Moving in with them is the last thing I'd impose upon them. Would never ask them for a dime. Altho one still owes me $2,500 from about 5 years ago LOL.

I just want a place to stash my crap so I can hit the road and see the USA......

I've found the best way to hit the road.

Get on an airplane to somewhere cool, and rent a vehicle.

Put 2,200 miles on a Yukon this summer, and never left Colorado.

And man, are those E-Hash Oil thingys cool or what!!!

I've already started following some of the advice Wake wrote about. I've recently lost about 40 lbs and have changed my diet drastically. I feel so much better, physically and mentally. Just to be able to look at my reflection and not think, who is that old, fat, geezer? Some of my persistent aches and pains are fading, as well. I guess that extra 40 lbs took a toll on the knees, hips, and back that you don't notice until they don't ache all the time.
Growing old is, indeed, no picnic. But if you find you can't do some of the things you used to do, find new things better suited to your abilities. Cherish your family and friends. Enjoy life!

All true. But I simply refuse to give in and BE old, you know? For most of us our priorities do change as we get older--we have a different perception of what is really important and what there is to be afraid of--but otherwise we feel as deeply, laugh as much, grieve as much, care as much, want as much, hope as much, and things mean as much as they ever did.
I still dress like I did 40 years ago, without the platforms and bell bottoms...

I do too except that I long ago gave up uncomfortable shoes and uncomfortable clothing. I am grateful that I live in a part of the country that doesn't require people to get all gussied up for most occasions and everything is usually pretty laid back, casual, and comfortable. In my Minnetonka moccasins, jeans, and sweat shirt, I'm appropriately dressed to go just about anywhere and I love it. :)
Yes, the rural area I live in wears casual clothes and the farmers are the best dressed....until hunting season...I wear shorts and tank tops and will forever, my parents dressed nice everyday..

Two of my kids are earning more than dear old dad. Moving in with them is the last thing I'd impose upon them. Would never ask them for a dime. Altho one still owes me $2,500 from about 5 years ago LOL.

I just want a place to stash my crap so I can hit the road and see the USA......

My mudder wants some....I told her I'd look into it....

my burial site is the veteran's cemetery in Fayetteville, Ark...
I haven't thought that far ahead, though my oldest know I do not want to be cremated.

I am thinking, old ancestral cemetery in Georgia, among my Confederate ancestors.

Sorry man, I am in a monogamous relationship.

Yes, the rural area I live in wears casual clothes and the farmers are the best dressed....until hunting season...I wear shorts and tank tops and will forever, my parents dressed nice everyday..

I am going to be buried in my camo hunting clothes, and my son is instructed to slip my favourite deer rifle in there with me.

I know what to get her for Christmas now...the old man is into spy novels, shooting squirrels, yelling at kids on the lawn and donating to South American poor kids..

I am going to be buried in my camo hunting clothes, and my son is instructed to slip my favourite deer rifle in there with me.
I never used cammo..

It isn't anything really obvious unless you take time to look at it closely and introspectively. It happens slowly, quietly, over a substantial period of time.

But at some point, usually somewhere around the time a person passes his/her 60th birthday, that we begin noticing a divide between the young and old. The older generation is still loved, appreciated, cared for, and usually included. But in the eyes of the young we aren't as hip, as savvy, as bright, or as capable as we once were.

On the job, we are as valued as ever for our work ethic, experience, know how, and competence. But we notice our advice is sought less from our more junior coworkers, and we might be omitted from invites to more strenuous after work activities.

In public we are often treated somewhat differently, with more deference, than other folks. We are more likely to be offered a seat or people will offer us assistance whether we need it or not.

It is at that point that we realize we have become the older generation with the perception that there is a very wide gap between us and the young who are certain we could not possibly understand what they are thinking or feeling, that we couldn't possibly love as hard, anticipate as much, hope as passionately, or feel as deeply as they do. And while we aren't exactly seen as stupid, the perception is that we just aren't as sharp or aware or as capable as they are.

Sometimes knowing this is inevitable is okay. And sometimes is sucks along with the physical issues that often come with old age.

This thread is not intended to be a complaint or criticism. Simply an observation of how it is.

You are only as old as you feel.

Take half-way decent care of yourself, get high on weed but shun alcohol and tobacco, and you will be ok.

Getting old beats the Hell out of the alternative.

I gave up smoking and alcohol long ago and I think I won't bother with the weed. But I do practice homeopathic remedies which allows me to bypass many of the poisons that automatically are included in all pharmaceutical medicines. We eat well--not always entirely healthy but I refuse to give up all guilty pleasures as I think joy is as important to health as anything else. I think I am maybe as mentally sharp as I have ever been and I know I feel and care and hope as much as I ever did. But nevertheless, old age is closing in and gradually taking away the strength and stamina and general comforts that I once took for granted. It is not at all traumatic. It is just a fact of life.

But I can't say I like it. But there is still fun and joy and those occasional guilty pleasures. Nobody will live forever-- we all have to move on to make room for others to be here. I guess I'm not what you call a health nut though I am health conscious--I just think about how silly it would be to deprive myself of so much stuff that I really enjoy and then some day be lying there wondering how it is that I am dying. . . .of nothing.

The smoke helps with the problems I have with my spine...The VA feed me truckloads of pills but I found a better medicine...But you still gotta get up and move. My problem is I over do it and try to be 30 again, and it takes me two weeks to recover, buy I hate being immobile and stagnant...

Forum List

Back