Thoughts about today's Interview with Iran FM.

Slade3200

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2016
Even if you see Iran as the enemy and don't trust a word they say, I'm curious about what Trump supporters think about this interview and the FM's points about US credibility in deal making as a results of Trumps attitude towards the Iran deal and other foreign policy matters in general. He refers to the term people are using "The Withdrawal Doctrine" regarding Trumps approach to deals like TPP, NAFTA, The Paris Accord, the Iran deal etc. and raises the valid question, how can any long term deals with the United States be trusted once the precedent is set that the deals can be revoked after each election?

Thoughts?

Even if you see Iran as the enemy and don't trust a word they say, I'm curious about what Trump supporters think about this interview and the FM's points about US credibility in deal making as a results of Trumps attitude towards the Iran deal and other foreign policy matters in general. He refers to the term people are using "The Withdrawal Doctrine" regarding Trumps approach to deals like TPP, NAFTA, The Paris Accord, the Iran deal etc. and raises the valid question, how can any long term deals with the United States be trusted once the precedent is set that the deals can be revoked after each election?

Thoughts?

Iran is being slapped, so of course they'd say that, along with their buddy No.Ko. Trump hasn't pulled out of the deal; he's asking for more accountability on Iran's part for keeping the peace in the M.E.

Is a President obligated to keep a deal or treaty forever, regardless of whether he feels it is in the country's best interests? I don't know that Trump is doing this to "undo" the Obama legacy. He was genuinely against it, as were most Republicans, and he wants to make it 'better.' Whether he can do what six countries in a year and a half of negotiations could not remains to be seen. It was shitty to kick the can to Congress. They can't fix anything these days.

Iran is being slapped, so of course they'd say that, along with their buddy No.Ko. Trump hasn't pulled out of the deal; he's asking for more accountability on Iran's part for keeping the peace in the M.E.

Is a President obligated to keep a deal or treaty forever, regardless of whether he feels it is in the country's best interests? I don't know that Trump is doing this to "undo" the Obama legacy. He was genuinely against it, as were most Republicans, and he wants to make it 'better.' Whether he can do what six countries in a year and a half of negotiations could not remains to be seen. It was shitty to kick the can to Congress. They can't fix anything these days.
You pose good questions about whether presidents are obligated to keep existing deals forever and of course the answer is no... But I think there needs to be some tact about how they are approached and a good faith effort to address the issues before withdrawing.

What makes me nervous about Trump is the knee jerk reactive way he is approaches these deals. I think there is a legitimate fear about the credibility of our word when entering long term deals on an international level. It seems like he is taking more a political stance to maintain this tough guy appearance rather than a smart long term strategic approach.

The dumb left wing Democrats think that it's not fair that Israel has nukes and the genocidal Muslims don't.

Damn. You really will believe things coming from Trump as long as it fits your world view. It’s weird.

Yeah, the can has been kicked down the road with Iran & NK for years and years, and here we are.

It seems pretty clear that Trump has decided that his, um, approach might just shock them into staying in line.

I don't see it, but I didn't see him winning in November, either. He can reasonably argue that the approach of the last few decades has been worthless.

And, we hope for the best.

Yeah, the can has been kicked down the road with Iran & NK for years and years, and here we are.

It seems pretty clear that Trump has decided that his, um, approach might just shock them into staying in line.

I don't see it, but I didn't see him winning in November, either. He can reasonably argue that the approach of the last few decades has been worthless.

Bull. The deal put the Iranian nuke program on hold.

That’s the take from all of our Nat. Sec. experts. It’s not a guess or a hope.

And, Trump can’t argue anything “reasonably”. He doesn’t know the subject matter well enough to do so.

He's asking too renegotiate a deal that wasn't broken. A deal that took significant prestige to accomplish. Regardless what a potential new deal can accomplish this has a big negative effect on US credibility. In the meantime the very same parties Trump has now given the finger, he will need, to try to come too some kind of agreement on NK. The thing with being a partner that has shown bad faith is that the next time you need those negotiating partners,they will be less inclined to give you what you need. So no, as president you are not obligated to keep deals in place, but if you don't, you better be sure that the potential upside outweighs the CERTAIN negative effects. Do you think that is the case here?

There are satellite images of supposedly secret military bases and they are refusing cooperation over them.
We bombed Iraq for that years ago..
Did our federal govt also claim they weren't fulfilling other obligations?
The more important question is, how long do we put up with bullshit

Thoughts?

I am a Trump supporter and I 100% disagree with this move. He is doing the Rothschild's bidding for them. His neocon son in law and daughter are whispering in his ear again and he is unfortunately listening. Good thing is several other countries agreed with Iran on this deal so the US can just whine about it.

What makes you think this approach is going to shock the Iranians into staying in line? All they have expressed is a loss of respect and credibility for our ability to keep our deals and our Allies have all expressed opposition to Trumps actions.

There are satellite images of supposedly secret military bases and they are refusing cooperation over them.
We bombed Iraq for that years ago..
Did our federal govt also claim they weren't fulfilling other obligations?
The more important question is, how long do we put up with bullshit
Can you proved some proof of that? We have the ability through the deal to inspect any military base that we are suspicious of...

Forum List

Back