Thought of the Week, Vol 2

hylandrdet

Oct 5, 2004
Tennessee
So here I was, standing on Canal Street, with my youngest child catching beads, from my shoulder, as we watch the Mardi Gras parades go by. All of a sudden, a "big ball" necklace goes flying through the air. My little girl catches the upper part of the necklace with her hands, I caught the lower part of it with my face. I won't lie in telling you that it hurt like hell.

So, here I am, holding my eye, asking my girlfriend to keep an eye on my kids, while I go to check out my face. I walked down Canal St until I saw a window that gave off a good reflection, when I ran into them... the Conservative Christian protesters. At first, I had to deal with the friendly gestures, then came this young lady.

She kept bothering me about how my appearance here proves that I'm living a life of sin. I assured her that my intentions here are strictly honorable because I have my kids with me. Then she said it...

" what kind of parent are you to have your children here in this place of sin!"

You know what this means...

SHAZZAAAM!!!

:dev1:​

HYLANDMAN​

FORM BLAZING SWORD OF BLUNTNESS!!!

:splat:

"Look, my little Christian soldier, all my kids know about Mardi Gras is that it is the only time of the year they will spend ALL DAY with me; and they love it!!!

They possess no such knowledge about showing off their little tits, dicks and asses, because I WON'T TEACH THEM SUCH PERVERSIONS!!! All these kids know right now is how to catch beads! Tonight, after they finish having their clean, family oriented fun, they will pray, then go to sleep. Why??? Because they are braught up on Christian values!!!

I don't care whether or not I go to hell when I die, but I do care about making sure my kids don't! So don't you get into my face, with total ignorance about my parental skills, suggesting that I'm a bad parent!!!"

She'd apologized for the way her words came out and she'd offered me a pamplet. I snatched the pamplet, read it, then handed it back to her.

Before I'd returned back to the parade, I'd turned around and walked back to her and reminded her, "Bourbon St- sinners, Canal St-saints. My Kids are on Canal Street. Before you can understand that, you must first listen; before you can listen, you must first dig the dung out of your ears; before you can dig the dung out of your ears, you must first pull your head out of your ass!"

My actions towards this Christian conservative was minor when compared to the other uprisings, that had taked place this week, against American conservatism.

Congress is staging their uprising against President Bush's conservative budget proposal, Iran and N Korea are thumbing their noses at the US conservative stances against them; I couldn't even watch TV last night, without "Wife Swap" turning into an anti-conservative theme.

I don't know what you conservatives are doing, but you're in charge of this country and right now the natives, both here and abroad, are getting restless!!! You'd heard the advice I gave to that woman, I suggest you do the same.

I'll make it quick.

Personally, I would have ignored the protester, and if she kept bugging me maybe give her an Icy Glare and something to the effect of "buzz off".

The budget will get hacked up, its too expensive anyway.
Iran and North Korea's regimes are going to die.
I really don't care about reality TV.

I would like to add my apologies. Let's hope her experience with you helped HER understand her religion better.

Sir Evil said:
Well if you were catching beads (we all pretty much know what this means) it sounds to me that you may of been in the wrong enviroment for children, but your the parent so no argument there. If you are suggesting that this protester
makes it right to suggest that you have a better argument then you are dead wrong! Quite honestly the apology given to you would be way more then you would get from a liberal protester!

Canal St. is where they hold the parade in the Family Environment. Beads are not thrown there for the same reason they are on Bourbon St. It is much like the candy thrown in parades around the nation. In that particular parade the floats have cartoon characters and other clean entertainment specifically made so people can come to the city during Mardi Gras and bring a family without specific consequences.

It is kind of like having a G rated movie next to a theater that shows NC-17.

no1tovote4 said:
Canal St. is where they hold the parade in the Family Environment. Beads are not thrown there for the same reason they are on Bourbon St. It is much like the candy thrown in parades around the nation. In that particular parade the floats have cartoon characters and other clean entertainment specifically made so people can come to the city during Mardi Gras and bring a family without specific consequences.

It is kind of like having a G rated movie next to a theater that shows NC-17.

I've been to Mardi Gras SEVERAL times and I have only seen the Evangelicals on Bourbon St. exactly for the reasons you mention here. They tend to know THAT is where the sinners are - on Bourbon Street.

Sir Evil said:
Well you got me there then as I have never went and was just going on the bead theory! but hey still have to agree that you wouldn't get the same apology from the liberal prostester! :D

I agree with you there. I wonder at the misguided evangelical being on the wrong street to begin with. Almost all of the Evangelicals that are attempting to convert people know that the real evil is on Bourbon St. and they would go there to parade their wrath upon the sinners.

gop_jeff said:
As a Christian, I think it's too bad that this particular person was way too quick to judge you. My sincerest apologies.
now im in no way religeous, but isnt being judgemental a sin?

Johnney said:
hows that?
It's sorta like discrimination------you simply are pointing our your personal preferences, likes and dislikes------If I determine something to be fantastic, I am being judgemental

dilloduck said:
It's sorta like discrimination------you simply are pointing our your personal preferences, likes and dislikes------If I determine something to be fantastic, I am being judgemental
but that would be your view of it. sounds kinda screwy to me. something for the bible thumpers to have soemthing to condem people for doing.

Johnney said:
but that would be your view of it. sounds kinda screwy to me. something for the bible thumpers to have soemthing to condem people for doing.

People REALLY need to be aware that often times "Bible thumpers" are still in the process of learning the religion. One doesn't automatically become perfect just by taking on a religion. They have simply chosen a path and make many mistakes. It's similar to when an alcoholic gives up booze. They tend to preach abstinance to everyone. Cut em some slack---at least they have some direction instead of simply saying "hey dude, it's all good. Nothing is good or bad".

Johnney said:

I think what the particular lady did could count as "judgmentalism," because she assumed a lot about what hylandr was doing. It would be one thing to point out a particular act as sinful (e.g. if he was taking his kids into a nudie bar). But it's something else entirely to assume that he was showing his kids those things just because she saw some beads on him.

dilloduck said:
People REALLY need to be aware that often times "Bible thumpers" are still in the process of learning the religion. One doesn't automatically become perfect just by taking on a religion. They have simply chosen a path and make many mistakes. It's similar to when an alcoholic gives up booze. They tend to preach abstinance to everyone. Cut em some slack---at least they have some direction instead of simply saying "hey dude, it's all good. Nothing is good or bad".
so people who are in or take up religeon are perfect?

Forum List

Back