Thought Iran Was 5-10 Years From A Bomb

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Well not really, I didn't believe it. Seems now others won't either, now the UN is saying a year to a year and a half. I love the headline, I don't know why I bothered to read it, sounded more like Iran was making things difficult. My headline is better:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/16/w...3462c8a2ce886e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Nuclear Report Finds Iran’s Disclosures Were Inadequate

By WILLIAM J. BROAD
Published: November 16, 2007

A new report says Iran has made new but incomplete disclosures about its past nuclear activities, missing a key deadline under an agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency.

The agency’s report also confirmed for the first time that Iran has now crossed the major milestone of putting 3,000 centrifuges into operation, a tenfold increase from just a year ago. In theory, that means that Iran could produce enough uranium to make a nuclear weapon within a year to 18 months...

I've never had a problem with Iran posessing a nuclear weapon. Lots of nations have nuclear weapons only one has been used offensively in human history. I don't have to clue you in on who it was. Nuclear weapons are a way of projecting military and technological strength. It's a signal of a nation's modernity, at least in terms of the government, if not the culture. Isreal has nukes. Iran likes living. Therefore, Isreal will not be bombed by Iran. Everyone needs to chill.

I've never had a problem with Iran posessing a nuclear weapon. Lots of nations have nuclear weapons only one has been used offensively in human history. I don't have to clue you in on who it was. Nuclear weapons are a way of projecting military and technological strength. It's a signal of a nation's modernity, at least in terms of the government, if not the culture. Isreal has nukes. Iran likes living. Therefore, Isreal will not be bombed by Iran. Everyone needs to chill.
I prefer to take their past words and deeds as an example of what they will do with a nuke instead of imposing some cold-war era philosophy. MAD will not work with these people.

Oh really, you don't think that Iran would use a nuclear weapon? Seriously?

All streams of Islam believe in a divine saviour, known as the Mahdi, who will appear at the End of Days. Mr Ahmadinejad and his cabinet have signed a "contract" pledging themselves to work for the return of the Mahdi. Iran's dominant "Twelver" sect believes this will be Mohammed ibn Hasan, regarded as the 12th Imam, or righteous descendant of the Prophet Mohammad. His return will be preceded by cosmic chaos, war and bloodshed. After a cataclysmic confrontation with evil and darkness, the Mahdi will lead the world to an era of universal peace. Ahmadinejad believes that these events are close at hand and that ordinary mortals can influence the divine timetable.

During a speech before the U.N. in 2006, the president spoke in apocalyptic terms of Iran struggling against an evil "West that sought to promote state terrorism, impose the logic of the dark ages and divide the world into light and dark countries". The speech ended with an appeal to God to "hasten the emergence of your last repository, the Promised One, that perfect and pure human being, the one that will fill this world with justice and peace".

In a video distributed by an Iranian web site in November '06, Ahmadinejad described how one of his Iranian colleagues had claimed to have seen a glow of light around the president as he began his speech to the U.N. "I felt it myself too," Ahmadinejad said. "I felt that all of a sudden the atmosphere changed there. And for 27-28 minutes all the leaders did not blink…It's not an exaggeration, because I was looking. They were astonished, as if a hand held them there and made them sit. It had opened their eyes and ears for the message of the Islamic Republic."

There are more than a few experts who believe that President Ahmadinejad actually wishes for and seeks a clash with the West in the fervent belief that it would rekindle the spirit of the Islamic revolution and speed up the arrival of the Hidden Imam.

As mayor of Tehran, he had city plans drawn up for the return of the 12th Imam. He has held this belief for a long time.

“Our revolution’s main mission is to pave the way for the reappearance of the 12th Imam, the Mahdi.” - Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

And yet you've "never had a problem with Iran posessing a nuclear weapon?" We're talking about religious zealots who truly believe in this stuff. They hate the Israelis and the West with a passion you and I will probably never know. Plain and simple, they believe that they are right and everyone else is wrong and deserving of death. Their death means little or nothing to them when it comes to their faith, hell, they're lining for those 77 virgins every day.

I am sick and tired of the argument "But we have nukes and we're the only ones who have ever used them so it's okay if they have them." Guess what? Different circumstances, different time, get over it. I am also sick and tired of the "Well, Israel has nukes so it is okay if they have them too." Guess what? Israel isn't threatening to wipe those around them off of the face of the map.

If I where the nation of Iran I would totally want a A bomb because if I have one America would reward me instead of invade me. I would be like pakistan and could give bin laden a comfy home and other terrorist and not recognie elections or like china and i could horribly abuse people and sell tainted goods...if I don't have a bomb I'm just some punk to push around....and he will steal my lunch money

Well not really, I didn't believe it. Seems now others won't either, now the UN is saying a year to a year and a half. I love the headline, I don't know why I bothered to read it, sounded more like Iran was making things difficult. My headline is better:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/16/w...3462c8a2ce886e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

If you are going to quote, you really should quote all the pertinent sections, not just those that espouse whatever world view you are operating under.

In the report, the agency confirmed for the first time that Iran had reached the major milestone of 3,000 operating centrifuges, a tenfold increase from just a year ago. In theory, that means that it could produce enough uranium to make a nuclear weapon within a year to 18 months.

But the agency said that the centrifuges — fast-spinning machines used to enrich uranium — were operating well below their capacity, and that so far it had not discovered any evidence that Iran was enriching to a level that would produce bomb-grade fuel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/16/world/asia/16nuke.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5088&en=653462c8a2ce886e&ex=1352869200&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

If you are going to quote, you really should quote all the pertinent sections, not just those that espouse whatever world view you are operating under.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/16/world/asia/16nuke.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5088&en=653462c8a2ce886e&ex=1352869200&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Then so should you, or did you miss the part where they have NO idea what Iran is up to?

You know the next paragraph?

The report made clear that even while providing some answers, Iran has continued to shield many aspects of its nuclear program. Iran’s “cooperation has been reactive rather than proactive,” the report said, adding that because of restrictions Iran has placed on inspectors the agency’s understanding of the full scope of Iran’s nuclear program is “diminishing.”

Then so should you, or did you miss the part where they have NO idea what Iran is up to?

You know the next paragraph?

That is not accurate. It is not that we have no idea what they are doing, it is that we don't all that they may be doing. However, we do apparently know that
the centrifuges — fast-spinning machines used to enrich uranium — were operating well below their capacity, and that so far it had not discovered any evidence that Iran was enriching to a level that would produce bomb-grade fuel.

That is not accurate. It is not that we have no idea what they are doing, it is that we don't all that they may be doing. However, we do apparently know that

Which means nothing when in fact at any time they can spin them up and they can deny access to the inspectors. Or can you not read Standard english?

Which means nothing when in fact at any time they can spin them up and they can deny access to the inspectors. Or can you not read Standard english?

And at such time that they "spin them up and deny access to the inspectors," I am sure that will be the subject of another NYT article. No reason to get bent out of shape about shit that clearly has not happened.

And at such time that they "spin them up and deny access to the inspectors," I am sure that will be the subject of another NYT article. No reason to get bent out of shape about shit that clearly has not happened.

Sure thing, no reason to worry that they have in place the ability to make a bomb in 18 months, what ever was I thinking.

That they have the ability ("theoretically") and are not exercising it should provide some solace.

No it shouldn't. It should make you wake up to the fact everything they are doing is designed to prepare themselves to make the bomb in as short a time as possible while leading the idiots that won't open their eyes around by the nose in the meantime.

REREAD the story. THE UN KNOWS LESS NOW then they did before. LESS. They did not know a lot to begin with and now have even less information. They admit that IRAN is purposefully misleading them, denying them access and hiding information. And we should find solace in THAT?

Sorry, that is why there was the link. It's been asked by board admin numerous times to post a few paragraphs and give the link. To me, the most important part was that the so called timeline was less than half the purported one.

I prefer to take their past words and deeds as an example of what they will do with a nuke instead of imposing some cold-war era philosophy. MAD will not work with these people.

What past words...Wipe Israel off the map? You do realize that Ahmadinejad quote was taken way out of context, and was meant to be directed towards the current regime/regimes that have plagued Israel since it's inception, right? That's already been clarified by Iran.

You know, like the way we wiped the Hussein regime off the map?

It's a figure of speech, and it was an echo of what Khomeini originally said.

People need to take a second and actually think about the belief they have that Iran would attack Israel, especially with a nuke. They know damn well that if they were to EVER attack Israel directly, THEY'D be the ones wiped off the map. And THAT would be LITERALLY.

It's propaganda, and it seems to be working rather well on a lot of you. If it weren't for those accusations against Iran, how would the administration be able to pull off attacking them?

What past words...Wipe Israel off the map? You do realize that Ahmadinejad quote was taken way out of context, and was meant to be directed towards the current regime/regimes that have plagued Israel since it's inception, right? That's already been clarified by Iran.

You know, like the way we wiped the Hussein regime off the map?

It's a figure of speech, and it was an echo of what Khomeini originally said.

People need to take a second and actually think about the belief they have that Iran would attack Israel, especially with a nuke. They know damn well that if they were to EVER attack Israel directly, THEY'D be the ones wiped off the map. And THAT would be LITERALLY.

It's propaganda, and it seems to be working rather well on a lot of you. If it weren't for those accusations against Iran, how would the administration be able to pull off attacking them?

Absolut ignorance will of course save us. Sure thing Iran is a perfect country to have the bomb. Moron.

There's a lot more to building a bomb than just having centrifuges. Also, the efficiency of Iran's centrifuges may not allow them to produce to what we consider "capacity".

Furthermore, Iran is uranium ore poor. Estimates are that they have enough domestic uranium to power approximately 20 reactors. Translated to bombs, this means one or two small a-bombs. After testing, they have nothing left.

As long as we can keep Iran from getting uranium ore or processed nuclear fuel rods (from Europe or Russia) the whole thing is really just a political issue.

Pakistan is far more threatening than Iran as far as Nukes go - THEY HAVE USABLE NUKES NOW!

Absolut ignorance will of course save us. Sure thing Iran is a perfect country to have the bomb. Moron.

That's funny, because these days I feel like people who think like YOU are morons.

With logic like the Bush admin's, and YOURS, we ought to just strong arm ANYONE who possesses or attempts to possess the technology to develop nuclear power.

Why don't we just declare war on half the world, and force every American citizen over 16 years old to fight the whole fucking thing?

YOU'RE the moron, RGS. YOU ARE. You're afraid of a third world country that has no susbstantial readily deployable army, much less a navy or air force to even MAKE it to the US.

It's pathetic.

With logic like the Bush admin's, and YOURS, we ought to just strong arm ANYONE who possesses or attempts to possess the technology to develop nuclear power.
This is only true of all the particlar isntances of a country developing nulear power are simialar.
Do you believe that to be true?

Why don't we just declare war on half the world, and force every American citizen over 16 years old to fight the whole fucking thing?
Because such an idea is completely inane.

YOU'RE the moron, RGS. YOU ARE.
Ooh!! THAT will convice people!!

You're afraid of a third world country that has no susbstantial readily deployable army, much less a navy or air force to even MAKE it to the US.
Why is this relevant when the dicsussion revolves around nuclear weapons?

Forum List

Back