Thought Health Care Reform was to pay for itself?

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Immanuel, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    Haven't we been told all along by those on the left that the Public Option was going to pay for itself by the insured? I'm pretty sure Care4all has taken this stand time and time again, but, I have never been able to figure out how that was possible. It is impossible. We cannot provide health insurance to the poor free of charge and not have someone else pay for it.

AP Sources: Reid Eyes Payroll Tax Hike On Wealthy - cbs4denver.com

Now granted no one who thought about this actually believed health reform would pay for itself, but here we have it straight from the horse's as, er I mean, mouth! Senator Reid now says that it is not possible for health care reform to pay for itself so he's going to tax the rich (bet it wont only be the rich when this is said and done) to pay for it.

Would someone from the left please explain how the public option is supposed to be self sufficient AND still provide insurance to the poor without taxing others?

Immie

2. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,723
    Thats easy. They will simply take from those that earn it and give it to those that don't. Can't get any simpler than that. Oh, they will have cuts to Medicare and taxes to small business as well. Wouldn't want to leave that part out doncha know.

3. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,124
    And don't forget the $500 billion they are going to save on hunting down waste, fraud and inefficiency in Medicare. Weird . . . they needed a bill for that?

4. Meister

Meister VIP Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,100
    How are they going to bring the cost of premiums down? I really don't hear that being talked about anymore.

5. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    It's funny isn't it? Btw....they are supposedly saving billions in waste and yet the waste has been there for how long? Also, if these idiots do save billions how about paying down the 12 trillion dollar debt that you are having to pay over $600 billion interest on every year?:cuckoo:

6. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,193
    The perfect healthcare reform would just put us younger people on the same plan as all the old people who have social security. We wouldn't use it as much as old people do, so we'd actually end up lowering costs. Spread the risk among young and old, not just old. Social security is costly because its all old people who use it every month.

But I guess what they just gave us is going to give the insurance companies millions of new customers. This healthcare bill wasn't a solution at all. We were conned.

7. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    LOL...so insuring an additional 10 to 20 million people would be cheaper in the long run...Lmao

8. sealybobo

sealybobo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,193
    Think about all the old people who use their social security every month. They are using it more and not paying for what they are using.

If you put me on the plan, say at $150 a month, I won't use it all year, but I'll pay $1800 a year for it. Adding young people to social security will make it more efficient. You can't deny that.

9. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,107
    NO MY DEAR IMMIE,

Try some reading comprehension and take your partisan glasses off! :D

You are the one that does not understand a thing on this....even though I have explained it more than 5-10 times on all of these posts on a Public Insurance option...it is just THAT, and OPTION of insurance to CHOOSE FROM.

I have ALWAYS SAID that the public option HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE AFFORDABILITY CREDITS which will be given to those who make less than 400% of poverty to help pay for their insurance....their insurance of their choice is my understanding....they are not forced to buy the Public Option with these affordability credits, but can buy a Private policy with them as well....their choice.

Whether there is a public option or there IS NOT A PUBLIC OPTION, these affordability credits will be given to those who can not afford insurance.

You still don;t understand what you have read....WHY IS IT SO HARD to understand for you and others?

Is it just easier to make up stuff about the public option?

Please let me know if you need me to help explain this to you in a more clear manner.

Care

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,107
    I have never said Health care reform will cost nothing from tax payers, NEVER. In fact, i have mentioned that the house planned to increase taxes on those making over a million on another thread that you were on at one time, about this.

The senate, from what you have posted is talking about medicare tax hike on those over 250k....

THIS is to pay for the AFFORDABILITY CREDITS that will be given to those that make less than 300-400% of poverty.

With these affordability credits, these people go to the State Insurance Exchange, where every private policy is available to them to PURCHASE with these credits plus whatever money they have to share in the process.

the public option is a public INSURANCE OPTION....if there is one in the Bill, then these people can use their affordability credits to buy the Public Option if they think that policy is better for them then any of the private insurance options on their State insurance exchange.