Thou Shalt Not Kill,,,,,,,,except when?????

Ok, but what about forgiveness? Wasn't Christ big on that? And also, no one has answered my other question-- if God is the ultimate decider of one's fate (heaven or hell), then why does it matter that revenge is administered here on Earth?

Forgiveness does not mean the crime itself is forgiven, it means that Christ doesn't let the crime get in the way of loving someone. The criminal still owes a debt for what they have taken. Society determines what the payment for the debt will be. In some societies it is one's mortal life.

As for the revenge part........who said that revenge is only administered once? A murderer pays a debt to the society of man by relinquishing their mortal body and their debt to God will be paid with their soul and at God's will.

But there is still no clear evidence to suggest that God will not hold the executioners accountable for their decision to carry out the death penalty. Why, according to Christianity, must one be held accountable by man if he has no choice but to be held accountable in front of God on judgment day? Isn't his eternal fate (which is in the hands of God) much more important than his mortal fate?

One is held accountable by man while they are existing in the society of man and when their actions affect their fellow man.

They are held accountable by God who is judging the entire history of the soul/life..........not the single, specific action that caused their mortal body to be executed.

If one defies mortal law and is executed, then how can they try to live the life that will be judged by God. It would seem to me that honoring the laws of society allows one to try and live the life they need to live in order to meet the judgement of God. I know this probably sounds illogical to you LL, but it makes sense to me.

I disagree. Innocent people die everyday and we can't shield all of them from unjust death.

I think that there is a miscommunication. I think that we should not have the death penalty – capital punishment. Without capital punishment, we would not execute a truly innocent convict. I know that innocent people die every day. Criminals murder them. I am speaking of the people who were declared guilty, sent to death-row and are soon to be executed – capital punishment – for crimes that they did not actually commit.

I think that there is a miscommunication. I think that we should not have the death penalty – capital punishment. Without capital punishment, we would not execute a truly innocent convict. I know that innocent people die every day. Criminals murder them. I am speaking of the people who were declared guilty, sent to death-row and are soon to be executed – capital punishment – for crimes that they did not actually commit.

No misunderstanding here matt. I am totally FOR the death penalty. And while it would be tragic to execute an innocent individual, I also believe that innocent people die every day and we cannot protect all of them all of the time. Therefore, I disagree with your assertion that it was better to NOT execute any rather than execute one innocent.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear on that statement.

No misunderstanding here matt. I am totally FOR the death penalty. And while it would be tragic to execute an innocent individual, I also believe that innocent people die every day and we cannot protect all of them all of the time. Therefore, I disagree with your assertion that it was better to NOT execute any rather than execute one innocent.

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear on that statement.

If we outlaw capital punishment, it stands to reason that fewer innocent people would be executed.

Anyway, we agree to disagree. I hope that you are never wrongly convicted of murders. Sometimes I read the biographies of those people who were sent to death row and who were later found to be innocent. It “tells” me that it is wrong to continue to take such risks.

I doubt that this makes me soft on crime, for I think that jails should be more punitive.

If we outlaw capital punishment, it stands to reason that fewer innocent people would be executed.

Anyway, we agree to disagree. I hope that you are never wrongly convicted of murders. Sometimes I read the biographies of those people who were sent to death row and who were later found to be innocent. It “tells” me that it is wrong to continue to take such risks.

I doubt that this makes me soft on crime, for I think that jails should be more punitive.

OK......we agree to disagree. I'm for the death penalty because I feel there are just some crimes that death is the only punitive measure that is applicable.

Oh......matt btw .......I have a brother in prison.......has three consecutive life sentences for killing three young women. Unfortunately he was convicted during the Rose Bird phase when the death penalty was suspended in CA........he should have been given the death penalty. He says he is innocent.......he isn't. Our family and the families of the girls he killed, and the other women he brutalized ........... well, we are continuing to live through the horror.........if he were executed, we might be able to put it behind us. Instead, we live in fear that he might, just might, somehow be released someday.........on a technicality.

So my belief comes from the fact that it is better to execute the murderers and get rid of the majority of guilty instead of basing my belief on the possibility than one innocent person might be saved.

As I said before............innocent people die in auto accidents every day. We do everything we can to protect them (seat belts, air bags, etc.) but we cannot protect them all the time. The same goes with people convicted of murder ..........we create a system that tries to protect the innocent as much as possible. Every now and then there will be an accident and some innocent person will die.............who knows, that innocent person could be me.

OK......we agree to disagree. I'm for the death penalty because I feel there are just some crimes that death is the only punitive measure that is applicable.

Oh......matt btw .......I have a brother in prison.......has three consecutive life sentences for killing three young women. Unfortunately he was convicted during the Rose Bird phase when the death penalty was suspended in CA........he should have been given the death penalty. He says he is innocent.......he isn't. Our family and the families of the girls he killed, and the other women he brutalized ........... well, we are continuing to live through the horror.........if he were executed, we might be able to put it behind us. Instead, we live in fear that he might, just might, somehow be released someday.........on a technicality.

So my belief comes from the fact that it is better to execute the murderers and get rid of the majority of guilty instead of basing my belief on the possibility than one innocent person might be saved.

As I said before............innocent people die in auto accidents every day. We do everything we can to protect them (seat belts, air bags, etc.) but we cannot protect them all the time. The same goes with people convicted of murder ..........we create a system that tries to protect the innocent as much as possible. Every now and then there will be an accident and some innocent person will die.............who knows, that innocent person could be me.

Yes. We agree to disagree. If, my some magic, we can know that the convict committed the crime, I’m support the death penalty. If those people that are judged to be guilty really did commit one murder, they should be brutally executed. Since that can’t be the case, I’m opposed to the death penalty.

I’m sorry for what your family is going through. Even my extended family has never experienced a murder. I do think that jail time should be more punitive. I support chain gangs and hard labor. Television and other benefits should be removed from prisons. Live in prison should be life in prison. The only technicality that would enable a jailbird to go free should be the undeniable proof that the convict was actually innocent.

Yes. Innocent people die but we can reduce the number of deaths that some innocent people face by removing the death penalty.

Did you look at the following web site and really read the stories at:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/arti...scid=6&did=110

Yes. We agree to disagree. If, my some magic, we can know that the convict committed the crime, I’m support the death penalty. If those people that are judged to be guilty really did commit one murder, they should be brutally executed. Since that can’t be the case, I’m opposed to the death penalty.

I’m sorry for what your family is going through. Even my extended family has never experienced a murder. I do think that jail time should be more punitive. I support chain gangs and hard labor. Television and other benefits should be removed from prisons. Live in prison should be life in prison. The only technicality that would enable a jailbird to go free should be the undeniable proof that the convict was actually innocent.

Yes. Innocent people die but we can reduce the number of deaths that some innocent people face by removing the death penalty.

Did you look at the following web site and really read the stories at:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/arti...scid=6&did=110

I agree with KP that there are some crimes where forfeiture of life is the only just punishment.

But I also agree with you concerning innocent people executed. It is my opinion that no person should executed on circumstantial evidence alone, or the accounting of a single eyewitness. If the price for the crime is life, there should be NO doubt -- overwhelming evidence -- as to guilt. Otherwise I favor life in prison with no possibility of parole, just in case.

So, I don't oppose the death penalty at all. I am however opposed to how it is applied.

you are quite correct .... with the exception of all the innocent people the guilty killed.......and the guilty still get to live their lives......their right to life is still intact......so then.....i am pro choice and advocate late term abortion for those found guilty of murder.

you are quite correct .... with the exception of all the innocent people the guilty killed.......and the guilty still get to live their lives......their right to life is still intact......so then.....i am pro choice and advocate late term abortion for those found guilty of murder.

A bad guy murdering innocent people is different than government executing someone that it thought was guilty but was actually innocent person. Oh well. No system is perfect. I think that I understand both side of the issue. All things being considered, I’d still rather have 1 million killers spend a lifetime of hard labor in a small cramped prison cell than to have the government execute someone who was actually innocent. We agree to disagree.

Forum List

Back