Those Who Prefer Instrumental Music Tend To Be More Intelligent

God bless you and AKUS always!!!

Holly (a fan of Alison for 25 years now)

Sometimes the voice IS the musical instrument.

Greg

Some of my boneheaded American colleagues are uncertain about teaching these Spirituals now because Political Correctness and Cultural Appropriation. Yes, yes, indeed. Maybe we shouldn't teach them because slaves sang them first.

I will bite my tongue and save all the spew of words I could type about these absolute ninnies.

I was criticised for posting this (elsewhere)....

They called it a "slave song".........amazing.

Greg

Greg

Some of my boneheaded American colleagues are uncertain about teaching these Spirituals now because Political Correctness and Cultural Appropriation. Yes, yes, indeed. Maybe we shouldn't teach them because slaves sang them first.

I will bite my tongue and save all the spew of words I could type about these absolute ninnies.

Greg

It is a slave song. IT IS A SLAVE SONG. Excuse me while I try to keep the top of my head from flying off...heh

yes. These songs show the inner strength and ingenuity of many of those slaves, not to mention the musical chops.

Those songs gave birth to music the world had never heard before, which....well, changed the entire world of music.

So what. We just ignore them because "slave songs"???? Like "that part of our history was really ugly, so it's best to Virtue Signal about it and rip it out of the history books".

I even teach these to my fifth graders. THEY GET IT

I'll stop now. I guess I've made my opinion pretty clear

Greg

Greg

And for anyone who doesn't know the particular history of that song: the drinking gourd is the Big Dipper; this song gave particular directions on how to escape slavery north past the Ohio River and beyond. Many spirituals and slave songs were rife with hidden and double meanings, both spiritual and practical.

Greg

Greg

It is a slave song. IT IS A SLAVE SONG. Excuse me while I try to keep the top of my head from flying off...heh

yes. These songs show the inner strength and ingenuity of many of those slaves, not to mention the musical chops.

Those songs gave birth to music the world had never heard before, which....well, changed the entire world of music.

So what. We just ignore them because "slave songs"???? Like "that part of our history was really ugly, so it's best to Virtue Signal about it and rip it out of the history books".

Ya got it in one, sister!!! (I wrote LM@O but that's rude in polite company).

I couldn't believe it AND to top it off they accused me of "cultural appropriation".

Greg

Greg

Greg

Ya got it in one, sister!!! (I wrote LM@O but that's rude in polite company).

I couldn't believe it AND to top it off they accused me of "cultural appropriation".

Greg

I started a thread on it in the Racism forum---if anyone there is oppose for "Cultural Appropriation" I'd sure like to hear their thoughts!!!

The disgusting grin on Billy's face is a nauseating thing to behold ... :auiqs.jpg:

https://nypost.com/2019/05/22/smarter-people-listen-to-instrumental-music-study/

The last paragraph: cull out all the people who listen to classical, jazz and stuff because they "should" or to impress their friends and see what you're left with. I see these types all the time when I go to the symphony. For some people high school never ends, the people in it just get older.

I don't know anyone who doesn't listen to a wide variety of music, although polka doesn't seem too popular among them.

The disgusting grin on Billy's face is a nauseating thing to behold ... :auiqs.jpg:

https://nypost.com/2019/05/22/smarter-people-listen-to-instrumental-music-study/

I have been involved in music basically my entire life. Instrumental, vocal, a combination of both; music is music. There is no good, or bad, better, or worse.
I played in an 85 piece orchestra when I was 13 to 15 years old; no vocals.
I have played with several bands as backing musician; some vocals, some not.
Again; music is music.
Enjoy it in ANY form.

It astounds me when people say this. "Music is music". Like because people have different tastes there is no bad quality and better quality. Yes, there is. I mean look. I love my students dearly, but my students playing "Hot Cross Buns" on their recorders after playing them for three weeks is NOT like the Carmina Burana, or the Mozart Requiem. They're on their way, and I appreciate music-making in all its form.

But a grilled cheese sandwich ain't a gourmet meal. Ever.

If you are a foodie, you probably love them both. Being a MUSIC "foodie", I love both Hot Cross Buns and the Mozart Requiem. But. I can surely tell the difference. "Music is NOT Music".

I completely understand your point.

I have been involved with music at some level since I was extremely young.
When I say "music is music" I mean that in the sense that when I listen to music, and if I actually enjoy what I am hearing, then the music has offered me what I desired from it; enjoyment.

When I resided in the DFW area one of may favorite musical experiences was to go to Forth Worth & listen to the pianist at the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition. I have witnessed some of the most incredible musical performance there. It is really beyond description to witness the extreme range of music & emotion that can be experienced listening to one human play solo piano. The enjoyment level is intense.

In 1992 I saw a MCA label release concert at the DFW Hilton featuring Tracy Byrd, Trisha Yearwood, and The Mavericks. It was unbelievable, and it a FREE show!!! I enjoyed that just as much as anything musically.

Hank III is one of my favorite live shows; not for the timid tho'

I have been to raves where they played records; mostly tribal, bass, techno, and that can get pretty intense & very enjoyable.

To me 'music is music' just as long as I enjoy it because to me, that's really all that counts; the enjoyment factor.

I never thought I could enjoy these guys but after I saw them live I'm their biggest fan now. LOFL .............

Last edited:
I have loved ALL forms of music for my entire 80 years.
I have learned, however, that when it is time for me to sit down and write seriously, non-lyric music is by far the best. I do not get distracted by the lyrics and just left the chords wash over me. I think most creative people are the same.

Forum List

Back