Those who open carry or CCW

inquisitive

Feb 6, 2009
I will start off by saying I am not anti gun, I've shot a few off before and we have them in a safebox, however I feel differently carrying 24/7. I personally would only Carry concealed if I had a night job, or was in an area where crime was high tide. Please, yes I know crime can happen anywhere, but I try to be realistic and go with ''averages''. Anyway we've recently moved to a gun friendly state and the first thing hubs did was sign up for the CCW class. I asked him if he planned on carrying all the time and he said 'yeah pretty much'. Ok, his day consists of going to work, and when we're together it's to some sort of dpt store or out to dinner, or a movie. Call me crazy but I doubt he feels anything would happen in these places. I'm just curious if it's the principle, or the actual protection factor. By that I mean is it a sense of...I finally live in a gun friendly state and I'm going to do the cool manly thing....carry.? I plan on asking him this later when I can figure out how to articulate it in a way he doesn't become defensive.

If Illinois allowed conceiled carrying of a firearm, I would carry one with me 24/7. It isn't a macho, manly thing on my part. It's truly self-defense. Think for a minute or so about all the mass shootings that seem to happen these days. These mass shootings are everywhere now. Recently here in Illinois in a department store. At a college just 20 miles from where I live. In shopping malls. In a church. Nowhere is actually safe any longer despite what you considere the good "odds". In these cases, if just one person had of possessed a firearm during the mass shootings, and was not afraid to use the gun to put an end to a crime in progress, the outcomes in these cases may have been different. I do not believe that anybody and everybody should be allowed to conceil carry a weapon but only people that have been properly trained, are responsible members of society, and have no history of past crimes. I think conceiled carry is a very good thing.

Those CCW classes aren't a walk in the park. 6-8 hours total. They are offered in non-CCW states such as Illinois (my state), and the permit will allow you to carry in all states that do allow. I don't think I'd carry a gun 24/7 tho.

I will start off by saying I am not anti gun, I've shot a few off before and we have them in a safebox, however I feel differently carrying 24/7. I personally would only Carry concealed if I had a night job, or was in an area where crime was high tide. Please, yes I know crime can happen anywhere, but I try to be realistic and go with ''averages''. Anyway we've recently moved to a gun friendly state and the first thing hubs did was sign up for the CCW class. I asked him if he planned on carrying all the time and he said 'yeah pretty much'. Ok, his day consists of going to work, and when we're together it's to some sort of dpt store or out to dinner, or a movie. Call me crazy but I doubt he feels anything would happen in these places. I'm just curious if it's the principle, or the actual protection factor. By that I mean is it a sense of...I finally live in a gun friendly state and I'm going to do the cool manly thing....carry.? I plan on asking him this later when I can figure out how to articulate it in a way he doesn't become defensive.

Do you remember this 33 dead in 'horrific' campus shooting in Virginia

It happened somewhere where you would think it never would.

I think your hubby is smart.

Forum List

Back