Thomas Sowell Makes A Case for Newt

I would like to know why the "left" is being accused of smearing Newt.

Even if we explained it to you, you still wouldn't understand it.

You think I will not understand your explaination......or I won't accept it?

The "left" is not smearing anyone in the GOP primary. The GOP candidates are smearing each other. Your entire reason for being seems to be smearing Romney. Are you a "lefty"?

Please...........eat shit.

The "left" is not smearing anyone in the GOP primary. The GOP candidates are smearing each other. Your entire reason for being seems to be smearing Romney. Are you a "lefty"?

See, told you so...

See, told you so...

You did? I must have missed it. What is your evidence that the left is smearing Newt again? Have you got any?

See, told you so...

You did? I must have missed it. What is your evidence that the left is smearing Newt again? Have you got any?

Yawn, guy, you just aren't paying attention, and I'm not wasting my time... because even when I provide links, you pretend you didnt' see them....

rightwingnuts think anyone who tells the truth about their candidates is "smearing" them.

you'd think they'd just pick better candidates....

but that's what happens when your sole criteria are idealogical purity and the ability to be their attack dog.

If you people could see my face, youd be convinced of my authenticity when I say that I believe the "left" is hoping that Newt becomes the GOP nominee. If he does, THEN he will be smeared.

Duh, Joe. Duh.

If people could see your face, they'd probably projectile vomit like LInda Blair in the Excorcist, but what does that have to do with anything.

But the fact is, the left wing media is working overtime to dredge up every last bit of negative stuff on Newt from the last 30 years, repeating known falsehoods, because they want Romney to get the nomination.

I have two theories about this.

1) They want a liberal Republican who will split the GOP coalition, and they are holding back on the truly juicy stuff on Romney until AFTER he gets the nomination (Bain, Mormonism, etc.)

2) They think that if Obama becomes truly unelectable with a second dip in the recession, they want a liberal they can live with.

If people could see your face, they'd probably projectile vomit like LInda Blair in the Excorcist, but what does that have to do with anything.

But the fact is, the left wing media is working overtime to dredge up every last bit of negative stuff on Newt from the last 30 years, repeating known falsehoods, because they want Romney to get the nomination.

1) They want a liberal Republican who will split the GOP coalition, and they are holding back on the truly juicy stuff on Romney until AFTER he gets the nomination (Bain, Mormonism, etc.)

2) They think that if Obama becomes truly unelectable with a second dip in the recession, they want a liberal they can live with.

You so funny! It will be extra special watching you lose the primary AND the general.

You so funny! It will be extra special watching you lose the primary AND the general.

You mean you want Romney to win the General now?

Romney wins the Primaries, I will probalby vote for Obama, because I'd rather have a liberal who is straightforward about what he'll do to the country.

I don't think Romney's electable. I think the MSM will educate the whole country on how weird MOrmons really are, and after that, he's sunk.

rightwingnuts think anyone who tells the truth about their candidates is "smearing" them.

you'd think they'd just pick better candidates....

but that's what happens when your sole criteria are idealogical purity and the ability to be their attack dog.

Axelrod is always so above the fray in his remarks...

Axelrod V. Gingrich: "The Higher A Monkey Climbs Up A Pole, The More You See Of His Butt"

Axelrod V. Gingrich: "The Higher A Monkey Climbs Up A Pole, The More You See Of His Butt" | New York Daily News

I like that, Axelrod. Stick to the issues.

Last edited:
Dr. Sowell makes a lot of sense as usual.

Thomas Sowell
The Past and the Present

4_header_image.jpg

If Newt Gingrich were being nominated for sainthood, many of us would vote very differently from the way we would vote if he were being nominated for a political office.

What the media call Gingrich's "baggage" concerns largely his personal life and the fact that he made a lot of money running a consulting firm after he left Congress. This kind of stuff makes lots of talking points that we will no doubt hear, again and again, over the next weeks and months.

But how much weight should we give to this stuff when we are talking about the future of a nation?

This is not just another election and Barack Obama is not just another president whose policies we may not like. With all of President Obama's broken promises, glib demagoguery and cynical political moves, one promise he has kept all too well. That was his boast on the eve of the 2008 election: "We are going to change the United States of America."

Many Americans are already saying that they can hardly recognize the country they grew up in. We have already started down the path that has led Western European nations to the brink of financial disaster.

Internationally, it is worse. A president who has pulled the rug out from under our allies, whether in Eastern Europe or the Middle East, tried to cozy up to our enemies, and has bowed low from the waist to foreign leaders certainly has not represented either the values or the interests of America. If he continues to do nothing that is likely to stop terrorist-sponsoring Iran from getting nuclear weapons, the consequences can be beyond our worst imagining.

Against this background, how much does Newt Gingrich's personal life matter, whether we accept his claim that he has now matured or his critics' claim that he has not? Nor should we sell the public short by saying that they are going to vote on the basis of tabloid stuff or media talking points, when the fate of this nation hangs in the balance.

Even back in the 19th century, when the scandal came out that Grover Cleveland had fathered a child out of wedlock — and he publicly admitted it — the voters nevertheless sent him to the White House, where he became one of the better presidents.

Do we wish we had another Ronald Reagan? We could certainly use one. But we have to play the hand we were dealt. And the Reagan card is not in the deck.

While the televised debates are what gave Newt Gingrich's candidacy a big boost, concrete accomplishments when in office are the real test. Gingrich engineered the first Republican takeover of the House of Representatives in 40 years — followed by the first balanced budget in 40 years. The media called it "the Clinton surplus" but all spending bills start in the House of Representatives, and Gingrich was Speaker of the House.

Speaker Gingrich also produced some long overdue welfare reforms, despite howls from liberals that the poor would be devastated. But nobody makes that claim any more.

http://www.creators.com/print/conservative/thomas-sowell/the-past-and-the-present.html
In his 2009 book, Real Change, Newt condemned Lockheed Martin for squandering tax payer dollars on the "kinds of waste and fraud that currently plague government programs" without reminding readers of how, during his two decades in congress, Mr. Speaker funneled endless streams of taxpayer dollars to a major Lockheed assembly plant in a neighboring congressional district.

Newt, Mitt and Obama serve the 1% not the 99%.
They all choose Wall Street over Main Street every time.
"Choosing" between Republican OR Democrat in the voting booth Changes nothing.

Newt Gingrich's Lockheed Martin Love Affair | Mother Jones

The truth is not a smear. And the truth about Newt is:

1) He's 3x married, twice divorced, cheated on both his first two wives and claimed that it was due in part to the stress of his job.

2) He supported a health insurance mandate before he opposed a health insurance mandate.

3) He claims credit for balancing a budget despite the fact that he vehemently opposed a significant portion of the legislation that balanced that budget.

4) He thinks congress should fire judges with whom they disagree.

5) He and his consulting firm were paid 1.6M by the GSE's, while at the same time claiming that any politician who took money from them should be in jail.

6) He paid the single largest fine related to ethics violations in the history of the House of Representatives.

I could go on....Those aren't smears, they are facts. If the far-right is so blind as to think they can pass this guy through a national election with that baggage, more power to ya. Please run him.

1) He's 3x married, twice divorced, cheated on both his first two wives and claimed that it was due in part to the stress of his job.

2) He supported a health insurance mandate before he opposed a health insurance mandate.

3) He claims credit for balancing a budget despite the fact that he vehemently opposed a significant portion of the legislation that balanced that budget.

5) He and his consulting firm were paid 1.6M by the GSE's, while at the same time claiming that any politician who took money from them should be in jail.

6) He paid the single largest fine related to ethics violations in the history of the House of Representatives.

I could go on....Those aren't smears, they are facts. If the far-right is so blind as to think they can pass this guy through a national election with that baggage, more power to ya. Please run him.

Look up the facts. It takes two to make a marriage. How many people in this nation are divorced after bad choices. A personal life does not make a world leader.

Issues that were 30 years ago change.

His ethics violation, One out of 84 accused by the Democrats, involved teaching a class with the help of his aides.

He had a consulting firm and he was a consultant.

He worked with Clinton, a Democratic president and listen to the kudos he received from him on the OReilly thread on this board.

Look up the facts. It takes two to make a marriage. How many people in this nation are divorced after bad choices. A personal life does not make a world leader.

Issues that were 30 years ago change.

His ethics violation, One out of 84 accused by the Democrats, involved teaching a class with the help of his aides.

He had a consulting firm and he was a consultant.

He worked with Clinton, a Democratic president and listen to the kudos he received from him on the OReilly thread on this board.
Good luck in your campaign to explain away 3 wives, two cheats, one excuse about how stressful his job was, a $300,000 ethics fine, and 1.6M from a company he claims people should go to jail for working with.

No amount of spin and deflection will get the public to look past the above. So please, run Newt. It'll be the best possible guarantee of an Obama administration until 2016.

Notice this person points out all these things that aren't really relevant to being president. As Thomas Sowell points out we don't need a saint, we need a person that can address the problems we have, and actually has solutions and not more big government crap. It was Newt that forced Clinton into welfare reform, and a balanced budget that’s a fact, also if anyone thinks Obama could win a debate with Newt they are delusional, although I'm sure the lib media will do what they can to assist

The newties here remind sensible folks that politics remain the art of the possible. Newt is not going to be possible against Romney much less Obama. Romney is conservative enough to hold the right of center as well as the center. Newt cannot pull the center, which he will lose to Obama.

Mumbling about "conservative enough" no longer counts, just isn't enough anymore.

If Romney wins, it will because he slimed his opponents. And his opponents supporters will remember that in November, when they don't show up to support him.

No one ever ran a dirty campaign in the primary and won in the general. Pissing on the people you are going to need to knock on doors is a sure-fire loser... and so is Mittens.

Specious nonsense in both paragraphs. Prove your points. You can't, Joe.

Notice this person points out all these things that aren't really relevant to being president.
Unfortunately for you, you don't get to chose what things are relevant to voters. If the Republicans are dumb enough to run Newt, I assure you the Democrats will make sure people find these issues relevant.

Notice this person points out all these things that aren't really relevant to being president.
Unfortunately for you, you don't get to chose what things are relevant to voters. If the Republicans are dumb enough to run Newt, I assure you the Democrats will make sure people find these issues relevant.

Romney, right up to his nomination, will remind primary GOP voters of these points.

Rightly so.

It makes sense to me. I will be voting for a leader for a very serious time in our history. His personal life has nothing to do with his leadership skills. This country needs leadership and he has proven it over and over.

I think Romney can help on the economic front, but we are dealing with world problems now as well. Gingrich has the background in both.

I agree. I am with Newt for president, as I want a man with grit, experience and knowledge, in office. Plus I just like the guy and his responses to accusations. He can think on his feet and he is as imperfect as the next guy, but more perfect for office than any. He is tough and he is wise and has grown in that wisdom, over the years.

Even Bill Clinton said last night, he enjoyed working with Newt for 5 years, plus he gave Newt praises in many ways. If you need a link, just let me know.

I think leaders of other countries would respect and fear his leadership, and think many times before messing with us.

In spite of all the above, it looks like Romney will get the nod, unless a 3rd party steps in and guarantees a win for Obama.

Forum List

Back