Thomas Kinkade Died :(

Sarah G

When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left
Mar 4, 2009
NW Ohio
Thomas Kinkade

SAN JOSE, Calif. • Thomas Kinkade, the "Painter of Light" and one of the most popular artists in America, died suddenly Friday at his Los Gatos, Calif., home. He was 54.

His family said his death appeared to be from natural causes.

"Thom provided a wonderful life for his family," his wife, Nanette, said in a statement. "We are shocked and saddened by his death."

His paintings are hanging in an estimated one of every 20 homes in the United States. Fans cite the warm, familiar feeling of his mass-produced works of art, while it has become fashionable for art critics to dismiss his pieces as tacky. In any event, his prints of idyllic cottages and bucolic gardens helped establish a brand — famed for their painted highlights — not commonly seen in the art world.

"I'm a warrior for light," Mr. Kinkade told the San Jose Mercury News in 2002, alluding not just to his technical skill at creating light on canvas but to the medieval practice of using light to symbolize the divine. "I'm trying to bring light to penetrate the darkness many people feel."

His Media Arts Group company surged to success, taking in $32 million per quarter from 4,500 dealers across the country 10 years ago, before it went private in the middle of the past decade. The cost of his paintings range from hundreds of dollars to more than $10,000.

Father of four girls and a devoted Christian, his philosophy was not to express himself through his paintings, but rather to give the masses what they want: warm, positive images, said friend Ken Raasch, who co-founded Mr. Kinkade's company.

Thomas Kinkade online:

Thomas Kinkade Online

Yes, heard that going around on tweeter friday night. Sad. The world has become a darker place now. I've visited his store at the MOA before, got his book of paintings. I'd have bought one of his paintings but I hate having to keep track of and protect and drag around a bunch of expensive stuff the rest of my life. I try to emulate his paintings using HDR photography. His paintings are inspirational.

Yes, heard that going around on tweeter friday night. Sad. The world has become a darker place now. I've visited his store at the MOA before, got his book of paintings. I'd have bought one of his paintings but I hate having to keep track of and protect and drag around a bunch of expensive stuff the rest of my life. I try to emulate his paintings using HDR photography. His paintings are inspirational.

There's a little video of him talking about his work on the website. His artwork is inspirational, you just want to stop and gaze upon it for a few.

Schlock art.

They guy made a forture selling it.

Which is, very frankly, impressive given that he was competing with the imported schlock art from asia that is purchased by retailer BY THE ROLL.

RIP, Thomas.

You weren't much of an artist, but you were one helluva an art marketer

Schlock art.

Okay, maybe, I suppose even myself would compare his work to something similar to overdone HDR photography, but it is the surreal that appeals to me. Frankly, 95% of what many people call art is crap in my opinion. There's paintings hanging in museums that I wouldn't give you a wooden nickel for.

thomas-kinkade-lighthouse1.jpg

:lol:

I was shocked to learn how young he was. For some reason, I had always thought him to be older~

How is it natural to die at 54? Maybe all those painting chemicals he used and had direct contact with ended up killing him. In the old days painters sometimes went crazy and died because of the mercury in the paints.

Schlock art.

Okay, maybe, I suppose even myself would compare his work to something similar to overdone HDR photography, but it is the surreal that appeals to me. Frankly, 95% of what many people call art is crap in my opinion. There's paintings hanging in museums that I wouldn't give you a wooden nickel for.

The fact that 95% of what many people call art is crap, doesn't make KinKade's work any better.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Kinkade's work looks much like the schlock Asian-assembly-line produced art that one can buy by the roll for resale TO ME.

Kinkade's real genius was in marketing not painting, folks.

He knew how to paint schlock subjects in a scholock manner that appealed to people seeking art that matched their schlock sense of inferiour-interior design.

Basically Kinkade's SEARS & Roebuck type ART sells well to people who want pictures on their walls that they understand and that don't challenge the viewer.

A lot of art gets sold because people know that other people have bought it. That's why prints are popular, too

Buying A NAME means the neophyte buyer can buy art without looking stupid.

Which of course, from the perspective of the artistic community that actually understands fine art, is precisely what makes them look stupid.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back