Thomas Kinkade Died :(

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sarah G, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,011
    Thomas Kinkade

SAN JOSE, Calif. • Thomas Kinkade, the "Painter of Light" and one of the most popular artists in America, died suddenly Friday at his Los Gatos, Calif., home. He was 54.

His family said his death appeared to be from natural causes.

"Thom provided a wonderful life for his family," his wife, Nanette, said in a statement. "We are shocked and saddened by his death."

His paintings are hanging in an estimated one of every 20 homes in the United States. Fans cite the warm, familiar feeling of his mass-produced works of art, while it has become fashionable for art critics to dismiss his pieces as tacky. In any event, his prints of idyllic cottages and bucolic gardens helped establish a brand — famed for their painted highlights — not commonly seen in the art world.

"I'm a warrior for light," Mr. Kinkade told the San Jose Mercury News in 2002, alluding not just to his technical skill at creating light on canvas but to the medieval practice of using light to symbolize the divine. "I'm trying to bring light to penetrate the darkness many people feel."

His Media Arts Group company surged to success, taking in $32 million per quarter from 4,500 dealers across the country 10 years ago, before it went private in the middle of the past decade. The cost of his paintings range from hundreds of dollars to more than $10,000.

Father of four girls and a devoted Christian, his philosophy was not to express himself through his paintings, but rather to give the masses what they want: warm, positive images, said friend Ken Raasch, who co-founded Mr. Kinkade's company.

Thomas Kinkade online:

Thomas Kinkade Online

2. inALIENable

inALIENable BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Yes, heard that going around on tweeter friday night. Sad. The world has become a darker place now. I've visited his store at the MOA before, got his book of paintings. I'd have bought one of his paintings but I hate having to keep track of and protect and drag around a bunch of expensive stuff the rest of my life. I try to emulate his paintings using HDR photography. His paintings are inspirational.

3. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,011
    There's a little video of him talking about his work on the website. His artwork is inspirational, you just want to stop and gaze upon it for a few.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Schlock art.

They guy made a forture selling it.

Which is, very frankly, impressive given that he was competing with the imported schlock art from asia that is purchased by retailer BY THE ROLL.

RIP, Thomas.

You weren't much of an artist, but you were one helluva an art marketer

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. inALIENable

inALIENable BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Okay, maybe, I suppose even myself would compare his work to something similar to overdone HDR photography, but it is the surreal that appeals to me. Frankly, 95% of what many people call art is crap in my opinion. There's paintings hanging in museums that I wouldn't give you a wooden nickel for.

6. Warrior102

Warrior102 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,029
    Who?

7. inALIENable

inALIENable BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36
    [​IMG]

:lol:

8. Dabs

Dabs ~Unpredictable~

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I was shocked to learn how young he was. For some reason, I had always thought him to be older~

9. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,855
    How is it natural to die at 54? Maybe all those painting chemicals he used and had direct contact with ended up killing him. In the old days painters sometimes went crazy and died because of the mercury in the paints.

10. Artevelde

Artevelde Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Rip