This will make the gun nuts happy

No, I'm not insane.

Actually, you are, you Can't Understand Normal Thought.

You Windbag seem to be rather ignorant, "you can sue a ham sandwhich in the United States". And if the elements are proved to a jury, you can collect.

Yep, and there are scumbag attorneys who will do it. BUT if you try it in California, be prepared for blowback in the form of frivolous lawsuit charges.

Justia :: California Civil Jury Instructions (CACI) 1501. Wrongful Use of Civil Proceedings

So, CAN they really sue the owner of a stolen gun used in a crime?

It depends; IF the gun was reported stolen, then no. But if no report is filed, it is possible, but unlikely that such a suit could be pursued.

You're a joke. See:

Abstract: Professor McClurg is co-editor (with David B. Kopel and Brannon P. Denning) of Gun Control and Gun Rights, a new firearms policy textbook published by the New York University Press. McClurg has written a trilogy of law review articles advocating the safe storage of firearms. Below, he offers a substantially modified, enhanced, and updated version of a presentation he made at the University of Connecticut School of Law’s “Guns and Liability In America” symposium in March 2000. He argues that unsafe firearm storage constitutes negligence under tort law. McClurg advocates civil liability for gun deaths and injuries caused by unsafe storage as a way to deter unreasonably dangerous conduct.

Link: http://www.saf.org/journal/14/lock,stockandbarrel.pdf

Probative evidence that a suit filed as suggested is not "frivolous".

If we were able to trace the weapon used, we would be able to pinpoint who sold (or had stolen from them) the gun used. Then, the victims families would have an avenue to civilly sue the person who provided - willingly or not - the gun that killed their loved one.

You think people who are hit by a stolen car should be able to sue the owner of the car? Are you completely insane?

No, I'm not insane. You Windbag seem to be rather ignorant, "you can sue a ham sandwhich in the United States". And if the elements are proved to a jury, you can collect.

You cannot sue a ham sandwich. Even if you could, you cannot sue the victim of a crime for the acts of a third person. Feel free to provide any examples that prove me wrong,

You're a joke. See:

Abstract: Professor McClurg is co-editor (with David B. Kopel and Brannon P. Denning) of Gun Control and Gun Rights, a new firearms policy textbook published by the New York University Press. McClurg has written a trilogy of law review articles advocating the safe storage of firearms. Below, he offers a substantially modified, enhanced, and updated version of a presentation he made at the University of Connecticut School of Law’s “Guns and Liability In America” symposium in March 2000. He argues that unsafe firearm storage constitutes negligence under tort law. McClurg advocates civil liability for gun deaths and injuries caused by unsafe storage as a way to deter unreasonably dangerous conduct.

Link: http://www.saf.org/journal/14/lock,stockandbarrel.pdf

Probative evidence that a suit filed as suggested is not "frivolous".

California is not New York, which has failed to provide protection from frivolous lawsuit abuse.

Further, your rant is from 2000, with the anti-constitution forces suffering sever setbacks in their agenda in New York since that time.

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA v. HELLER

There is a reason that you can't point to a single successful case of litigation against a gun owner in California for crimes with a stolen gun.

So keep spewing your bullshit, and I'll keep pointing out that you're a moron.

You think people who are hit by a stolen car should be able to sue the owner of the car? Are you completely insane?

No, I'm not insane. You Windbag seem to be rather ignorant, "you can sue a ham sandwhich in the United States". And if the elements are proved to a jury, you can collect.

You cannot sue a ham sandwich. Even if you could, you cannot sue the victim of a crime for the acts of a third person. Feel free to provide any examples that prove me wrong,

You leave a loaded gun in your home which a child finds. The child fires the weapon and a third child is killed. YOU, by CA Law, are both civilly and criminally culpable.

You leave a loaded gun in your home which a child finds. The child fires the weapon and a third child is killed. YOU, by CA Law, are both civilly and criminally culpable.

Still no examples of anyone suing the owner of a stolen car because a thief killed someone, yet you keep posting.

Hey bros I got a great idea~!!!!! Let's make a law so these doesn't happen again!!! We all know how well criminals follow the law.

If a crazy person and felon WANTS a gun, they're going to get one, no matter what the laws say! That's why they're called CRIMINALS. They break the law!!!

Now if any of those people had had a gun on them, this might have been a different story and people may have been saved. But you wouldn't see it that way....

If we were able to trace the weapon used, we would be able to pinpoint who sold (or had stolen from them) the gun used. Then, the victims families would have an avenue to civilly sue the person who provided - willingly or not - the gun that killed their loved one.
You're saying the families of the victims would have standing to file suit against the owner of the weapon even if it was stolen from him?

That's astoundingly fucked up, even for a leftist dickhead like you.

Still no examples of anyone suing the owner of a stolen car because a thief killed someone, yet you keep posting.

Your ignorance is outstanding. Proof, Daveboy thanked you for this useless post.

Only a complete and utter fool would think that anyone other than the mentally ill would find an incident such as this to be a reason to be happy.

Just another in a long list of posts that provide evidence there is absolutely no reason to pay luddly's "thoughts" any attention...

Your ignorance is outstanding. Proof, Daveboy thanked you for this useless post.
In summary: You make a stupid claim, and it's QW's and my fault.

I know, I know -- you're a liberal, and everyone should just accept your grand pronouncements because you make them.

How's that working out for you? :lmao:

All it would take to prove me wrong is one example.

Just one.

Yet you have exactly none.

Just one.

He doesn't need to provide an example.

He SAID it, fer cryin' out loud! That's proof enough!

Right, Fly Catcher?

Just one.

He doesn't need to provide an example.

He SAID it, fer cryin' out loud! That's proof enough!

Right, Fly Catcher?

It does seem to work that way, doesn't it? Even luddly left the thread after he said this would make us gun nuts happy.

"The 8-year-old Bremerton girl, Amina Kocer-Bowman, remained in serious condition at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle after nearly dying in the accidental shooting at Armin Jahr Elementary, where the other student brought a handgun to class. Authorities believe the boy took the .45-caliber gun from the glove compartment of a car while visiting his mother and her boyfriend at their home. He lives with an uncle.

"The 9-year-old classmate pleaded guilty last week to reckless endangerment and was sentenced to probation and counseling. He is expected to testify against his mother, Jamie Lee Chaffin, and her boyfriend, Douglas L. Bauer, who were charged Tuesday with felony assault."

Link: 3-year-old-boy accidentally kills himself with gun found in car | KING5.com Seattle

"The 8-year-old Bremerton girl, Amina Kocer-Bowman, remained in serious condition at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle after nearly dying in the accidental shooting at Armin Jahr Elementary, where the other student brought a handgun to class. Authorities believe the boy took the .45-caliber gun from the glove compartment of a car while visiting his mother and her boyfriend at their home. He lives with an uncle.

"The 9-year-old classmate pleaded guilty last week to reckless endangerment and was sentenced to probation and counseling. He is expected to testify against his mother, Jamie Lee Chaffin, and her boyfriend, Douglas L. Bauer, who were charged Tuesday with felony assault."

Link: 3-year-old-boy accidentally kills himself with gun found in car | KING5.com Seattle
Tragic.

Just as tragic:

Montana Vista crash kills 5: Three children among dead in 2-car collision; man arrested (updated with suspect photo) - Las Cruces Sun-News
MONTANA VISTA -- Three children from Dallas visiting their grandfather in Montana Vista were struck and killed Sunday when a white Ford F-250 allegedly ran a stop sign and collided with the Chevrolet Impala the children were traveling in.
The children's grandfather and a female passenger also died at the scene.​

Obviously, vehicles need to be banned.

In order to prove to me that you can sue the victim of a crime for something the perpetrator of said crime did with his ill gotten gains you cite a case where the state is bringing charges against the parent of a child who didn't steal anything.

Wouldn't it be easier to admit you were wrong?

It would be even easier to just go away and pretend you didn't say it.

Just saying.

Last edited:

Which is a VASTLY different proposition than a firearm stolen, and subsequently used in a crime.

BTW, your scenario ONLY applies if you have children living in your home. If a neighbor child breaks into your home, finds a gun, and shoots himself or an accomplice, you cannot be charged.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back