This weekend's garage sale gun finds

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
Hasn't been too bad of a weekend, I liberated three firearms from the hands of some goobers at three different yard sales. Most people don't put guns on the yard sale tables and when they do, they're over-priced. That's why I ask at every garage sale if they have any guns...

5-10-19%20gun%20finds1.jpg

The one in the foreground is a 1970's Stevens single-shot .410 shotgun. I got it for $20...

5-10-19%20gun%20finds2.jpg

The one in the middle is a 1907 Stevens Model 522 12 gauge trap model. It's made from a Browning patent. The guy said his wife knocked it off the shelf a couple years ago and broke the stock. He couldn't find the rest of the stock and I gave $80 for it. I'm waiting for someone to post a stock for it on Ebay or I might purchase an unfinished stock for it for $100...

5-10-19%20gun%20finds3.jpg

5-10-19%20gun%20finds4.jpg

...the broken piece of stock that was still attached to the receiver...

5-10-19%20gun%20finds5.jpg

The best find though, was the 1944 Inland General Motors Division M1 carbine. The metal parts are all original and untouched, but some goober decided to put a sport stock on it, probably back in the 60's. I got it for $75. I know what you're thinking: "How can you sleep at nights?"

5-10-19%20gun%20finds6.jpg

5-10-19%20gun%20finds7.jpg

5-10-19%20gun%20finds8.jpg

5-10-19%20gun%20finds9.jpg

5-10-19%20gun%20finds9a.jpg

You're that guy I told to fuck off, huh?
Like I said, guns go 1 way around here. :funnyface:

That's pretty neat and a piece of history. :)

(The M1 Carbine)

You're that guy I told to fuck off, huh?
Like I said, guns go 1 way around here. :funnyface:

That's pretty neat and a piece of history. :)

(The M1 Carbine)

It is a nice piece of US W2 history. I can get a low-end stock on Ebay for about $50, or go with something like this if I ever win the lottery...

Original WWII M1A1 Inland Folding Paratrooper Carbine Stock | eBay

Why would you even do that? The previous owner put a custom Monte Carlo stock on it.

That thing's pretty! I'll give you $125 for it right now!

I'd give up to $250 for a gun I used to have. I have one that shoots the same, but it doesn't have the same Tiger-striped squirrel-carved stock.

They show up in estate sales pretty regular in our area. You have to go through the background check if you are the high bidder before they will actually let you have them.

They show up in estate sales pretty regular in our area. You have to go through the background check if you are the high bidder before they will actually let you have them.

You're a statist moron.

And your family tree has no branches, but that does not change that 1) firearms are common at estate sales in my area; and 2) they require the high bidder to go through the background check.

You're a statist moron.

And your family tree has no branches, but that does not change that 1) firearms are

common at estate sales in my area; and 2) they require the high bidder to go through the background check.

My family tree branches from coast to coast, and I can buy guns all day privately and you're a fucking tool. Next!

I should report you for family attack, but I'll just rub it into your fucking face. My family has been here since before 1776 and I have kinfolk nationwide.

That's probably because the handler of the estate sale does so many firearms transactions, that he's required to have an FFL. It's completely legal for an individual to sell one or more of his or her personal firearms, as long as they don't knowingly sell it to a felon, a minor, or other prohibited person.

Having had a concealed carry permit since 2011, it's pretty obvious that I'm not a felon, a minor, or an illegal alien.

"...shall not be infringed." :biggrin:

That's probably because the handler of the estate sale does so many firearms transactions, that he's required to have an FFL. It's completely legal for an individual to sell one or more of his or her personal firearms, as long as they don't knowingly sell it to a felon, a minor, or other prohibited person.

Having had a concealed carry permit since 2011, it's pretty obvious that I'm not a felon, a minor, or an illegal alien.

Perhaps. The auction outfits that do them are fairly thorough and often have thousands of dollars tied up in each one in advertising title exams and such before they ever start the sale. Guns are usually listed in the ads. I used to go to them with my grandpa as his wingman/chauffeur. He always beelined to them but never bought any because they were usually in sketchy shape having not been used, cleaned, protected for often years.

Perhaps. The auction outfits that do them are fairly thorough and often have thousands of dollars tied up in each one in advertising title exams and such before they ever start the sale. Guns are usually listed in the ads. I used to go to them with my grandpa as his wingman/chauffeur. He always beelined to them but never bought any because they were usually in sketchy shape having not been used, cleaned, protected for often years.

I don't do estate sales. They tend to research everything and price it all up to collector's prices. Much better to buy from uninformed people who don't know the value of things, God bless 'em.

Last edited:
If only I had my Uncle's war gun. Pretty sure it was a Springfield '03 30-.06.

Could have been a Springfield M1903A3 or an Enfield P-1917? I have a WW1 era sporterized P-17 that shoots tighter groups than anything else I have. That's the rifle I use to work up 30-06 handloads with.

p17_1.jpg

I don't do estate sales. They tend to research everything and price it all up to collector's prices. Much better to buy from stupid people who don't know the value of things, God bless 'em.

They are on-site auctions so they vary as to how insane they can get. Some people are idiots. I was at one where they were bidding close to twice the price of a new one for a used microwave. We stayed just to laugh at those people. A lot has to do with whether the estate sale is at a farmhouse, a brick ranch or in the tony Victorian mansion area.

Three guns allegedly purchased in a single day of garage sales? Not photographed on the yard sale table of course but in somebody's garage. Somehow I sense an Alinsky agenda in this very strange thread.

t

Three guns allegedly purchased in a single day of garage sales? Not photographed on the yard sale table of course but in somebody's garage. Somehow I sense an Alinsky agenda in this very strange thread.

t

None of them were on the table when I bought them. I always ask at every sale if they have any guns and out of the hundred or so sales I went to this weekend, three of them did. Actually five, because I passed on two that the sale-holders brought out: One was a Chinese Makarov pistol that he wouldn't come down off of $100, the other was a newer .22 semi-auto. I have too many .22 rifles.

The pictures were taken in my garage, after I got home.

Blue lite special on school shooter special on isle 42. Makarov 9MM! What the hell is this?

Actually it was Type 54 Chinese copy of the Tokarev in 7.62x25mm, not a 9mm Makarov. That's a weird caliber and the thing would most likely jam after two rounds. It wasn't worth a hundred bucks to me and has only collector value, so I passed on it.

Forum List

Back