This week in history: WTO riots happen in Seattle

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I remember watching this from my apartment in Los Angeles, mere months before I traveled north to Seattle. I was horrified yet fascinated, especially by the man-on-the ground reports being made of keeping everyone up-to-date on everything that was going on (this was on AOL). By the time it was all over I believe the consensus was that the original protestors were not the trouble makers, instead a group of "anarchists" came up from Oregon and started the riot. 35,000 is a lot of people in terms of crowd control in downtown Seattle.

SEATTLE — Nineteen years ago this week, Seattle streets were shut down after protests over the World Trade Organization Ministerial meeting turned into riots.

Take a look of some KOMO News archival footage >>

From the archives: WTO riots{p}{/p}
Below are excerpts from essays from Historylink.org about the riots.

Mayor Schell advises Seattle business owners on October 29, 1999, of plans to handle protests during the upcoming WTO meeting

On Oct. 29, 1999, Seattle Mayor Paul Schell (1937-2014) wrote an eight-page letter to Seattle business owners explaining the World Trade Organization (WTO) Ministerial meeting planned to occur from Nov. 30 to Dec. 3, 1999. The letter describes the WTO, Seattle's role in hosting the meeting, and the impacts to downtown businesses of the event, which will be attended by more than 6,000 people from 135 countries.

At a briefing for police, Assistant Chief Ed Joiner told officers, "No, there's nothing to worry about. It won't be violent" (Post-Intelligencer). A police consultant recommended that $100,000 be spent to purchase tear gas and other crowd control agents, but this was cut to $20,000.

After protesters fill the streets and shut down the WTO opening session, Mayor Paul Schell declares a state of emergency and police use tear gas and rubber bullets to clear downtown

On Tuesday, November 30, 1999, thousands of direct action protesters achieve their well-publicized goal to "shut down the WTO" through nonviolent civil disobedience, forcing cancellation of the opening ceremonies of the WTO's Third Ministerial Conference in Seattle. Unprepared for the numbers of protesters, Seattle police used tear gas and pepper spray to clear some intersections. Tens of thousands more anti-WTO protesters rally at the Seattle Center, where environmentalists and students march to join a huge rally organized by the AFL-CIO. More than 35,000 march from the labor rally to downtown, where many join the crowds of protesters already in the streets. Roaming through the crowds, and taking advantage of the lack of police in most of downtown, a small group of black-clad, masked "anarchists" smashed windows, sprayed graffiti and vandalized police cars. Despite scattered confrontations, the atmosphere in much of downtown remained largely calm into the afternoon. However, with streets still occupied by protesters, delegates unable to move freely, and President Clinton due in town that night, Mayor Paul Schell declared a state of emergency and police began using massive amounts of tear gas, pepper spray, rubber bullets and other "less lethal munitions" to move protesters, and anyone else who happened to be there, out of downtown. By evening, police had pushed large groups of protesters into the Capitol Hill neighborhood to the east, where confrontations continued late into the night.

Long before it was scheduled to open, the WTO conference held in Seattle from Nov. 30 to Dec. 3, 1999, became a lightning rod for a growing number of critics, who condemned "free trade" for favoring corporate interests over social and environmental concerns. Protests began days before the conference started, but most groups focused on the opening day, Monday, Nov. 30.

I remember watching this from my apartment in Los Angeles, mere months before I traveled north to Seattle. I was horrified yet fascinated, especially by the man-on-the ground reports being made of keeping everyone up-to-date on everything that was going on (this was on AOL). By the time it was all over I believe the consensus was that the original protestors were not the trouble makers, instead a group of "anarchists" came up from Oregon and started the riot. 35,000 is a lot of people in terms of crowd control in downtown Seattle.

SEATTLE — Nineteen years ago this week, Seattle streets were shut down after protests over the World Trade Organization Ministerial meeting turned into riots.

Mayor Schell advises Seattle business owners on October 29, 1999, of plans to handle protests during the upcoming WTO meeting

On Oct. 29, 1999, Seattle Mayor Paul Schell (1937-2014) wrote an eight-page letter to Seattle business owners explaining the World Trade Organization (WTO) Ministerial meeting planned to occur from Nov. 30 to Dec. 3, 1999. The letter describes the WTO, Seattle's role in hosting the meeting, and the impacts to downtown businesses of the event, which will be attended by more than 6,000 people from 135 countries.

At a briefing for police, Assistant Chief Ed Joiner told officers, "No, there's nothing to worry about. It won't be violent" (Post-Intelligencer). A police consultant recommended that $100,000 be spent to purchase tear gas and other crowd control agents, but this was cut to $20,000.

After protesters fill the streets and shut down the WTO opening session, Mayor Paul Schell declares a state of emergency and police use tear gas and rubber bullets to clear downtown

On Tuesday, November 30, 1999, thousands of direct action protesters achieve their well-publicized goal to "shut down the WTO" through nonviolent civil disobedience, forcing cancellation of the opening ceremonies of the WTO's Third Ministerial Conference in Seattle. Unprepared for the numbers of protesters, Seattle police used tear gas and pepper spray to clear some intersections. Tens of thousands more anti-WTO protesters rally at the Seattle Center, where environmentalists and students march to join a huge rally organized by the AFL-CIO. More than 35,000 march from the labor rally to downtown, where many join the crowds of protesters already in the streets. Roaming through the crowds, and taking advantage of the lack of police in most of downtown, a small group of black-clad, masked "anarchists" smashed windows, sprayed graffiti and vandalized police cars. Despite scattered confrontations, the atmosphere in much of downtown remained largely calm into the afternoon. However, with streets still occupied by protesters, delegates unable to move freely, and President Clinton due in town that night, Mayor Paul Schell declared a state of emergency and police began using massive amounts of tear gas, pepper spray, rubber bullets and other "less lethal munitions" to move protesters, and anyone else who happened to be there, out of downtown. By evening, police had pushed large groups of protesters into the Capitol Hill neighborhood to the east, where confrontations continued late into the night.

Long before it was scheduled to open, the WTO conference held in Seattle from Nov. 30 to Dec. 3, 1999, became a lightning rod for a growing number of critics, who condemned "free trade" for favoring corporate interests over social and environmental concerns. Protests began days before the conference started, but most groups focused on the opening day, Monday, Nov. 30.

I never even heard about that. Pretty sure there were riots in St. Petersburg around that time. Couple of days, they did some damage, but not too much.

I never even heard about that. Pretty sure there were riots in St. Petersburg around that time. Couple of days, they did some damage, but not too much.

Not surprising.

The global MSM usually goes light on coverage of their confabs., and when there is a protest of their nasty plans, they were especially loath to give coverage. Any that is given is spun positively towards negotiators of any trade deals and international treaties, and negatively towards those whose voices are being shut out of the process.

No one knows anything of UN international treaties and plans, nor their long term implications, do they? Ever wonder why that is?

Not surprising.

The global MSM usually goes light on coverage of their confabs., and when there is a protest of their nasty plans, they were especially loath to give coverage. Any that is given is spun positively towards negotiators of any trade deals and international treaties, and negatively towards those whose voices are being shut out of the process.

No one knows anything of UN international treaties and plans, nor their long term implications, do they? Ever wonder why that is?

Or it could be because there were real riots here that overshadowed something in faraway Seattle.

Also , the news probably hushed it pretty good.

Last edited:
One of the things I remember most about this incident is that the City of Seattle made the possession of a gas mask unlawful. I don't know if they're still illegal but for the longest time thereafter they were. I could not wrap my mind around how they could outlaw something that is not unlawful to possess.

One of the things I remember most about this incident is that the City of Seattle made the possession of a gas mask unlawful. I don't know if they're still illegal but for the longest time thereafter they were. I could not wrap my mind around how they could outlaw something that is not unlawful to possess.

They're leftists, enough said.

Forum List

Back