This war is not headed in any "reasonable" direction

The ads aren't being aired. The ads are ridiculous and the organizations are laughed at. Deal with it. It has nothing to do with bias and more to do with stupid people making ads.

Originally posted by jimnyc
The ads aren't being aired. The ads are ridiculous and the organizations are laughed at. Deal with it. It has nothing to do with bias and more to do with stupid people making ads.

I am humbled by your precise and calculated debating skills. I just can't think of a reasonable, rational counterpoint to your position.

-Bam

Originally posted by bamthin
OK Moi, fair enough, then you prove to me that CBS is "elite liberally biased media". That is what WW labeled them as.

-Bam
She didn't say that they were exclusionary. To show bias you need not be liberal all the time, every time. The media has and probably will continue to espouse liberal views. The choice is in what they choose to air as well as what they choose not to air. It's quite apparent to me if you look at the totality of what media airs: television shows, news coverage, advertisements, etc.

In these two specific instances, they chose restraint- hardly the smoking gun which would indicate a conservative media.

Originally posted by bamthin
I am humbled by your precise and calculated debating skills. I just can't think of a reasonable, rational counterpoint to your position.

-Bam

Is that supposed to surprise me in any way?

The ads are garbage. Nobody wants to see that crap during a superbowl, and now we don't have to. I guess you have a case of bias if you think they discriminated against stupid people.

They are only stupid for thinking CBS would air their ads. Their cause is genuine.

Cheap labor conservatives on the other hand. Their whole Ideology is false. And you call us stupid? :D

Originally posted by jones
They are only stupid for thinking CBS would air their ads. Their cause is genuine.

Cheap labor conservatives on the other hand. Their whole Ideology is false. And you call us stupid? :D

Their cause is biased and a lot of their ads are offensive. Their ads weren't deemed appropriate for viewing. They're out in the cold. They'll deal with it and I hope you can learn to too. Good luck!

Originally posted by jones

There are many groups whose cause is genuine. That's not the only factor in considering whether an advertisement espousing those views is appropriate for a super bowl commercial in the middle of prime time.

If I'm not mistaken, smoking cigarettes is entirely legal in this country. However, it is forbidden to televise an advertisement for Marlboro. THAT is censorship.

I fail to see how its not politically motivated in deciding not to air these advertisements, ok maybe not the PETA one if its that risque, but so far I've seen nothing wrong with the moveon.org ad. It may offend peoples sensibilities in regards to how it depicts our current president but it does represent a viewpoint thats valid. Also, if it were truly the 'free market' enterprise that we espouse capitalism to truly be then CBS should be thrilled to take the couple of million dollars for 30 seconds of air time.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
I fail to see how its not politically motivated in deciding not to air these advertisements, ok maybe not the PETA one if its that risque, but so far I've seen nothing wrong with the moveon.org ad. It may offend peoples sensibilities in regards to how it depicts our current president but it does represent a viewpoint thats valid. Also, if it were truly the 'free market' enterprise that we espouse capitalism to truly be then CBS should be thrilled to take the couple of million dollars for 30 seconds of air time.
Capitalism doesn't require private parties to make money on acts they deem inappropriate. It merely allows them the freedom to make money on acts others deem inappropriate.

As to the reason or motivation leading to the ads being declined by CBS, anything in the world could be considered political. Heck, declining the ads which showed women mudwrestling is political.

Considering CBS has a lot invested in the SuperBowl, I doubt they'd want to risk controversial ads, that might anger some enough to turn off and not watch the rest of their ads. I think it's a safe bet that you'll see the MoveOn commercial on regular and news broadcasting soon enough. PETA may have a bit more trouble, which has nothing to do with the scantilly undressed members, more to do with their claims of impotence and perceived association with groups such as ELF.

Originally posted by Psychoblues
I don't mean to be mean, wonderwench, but there are Nazis to this day, even right here in the USA.
Not to say nazis are good or anything or that im pro nazi, but i think hitler would be rolling over in his grave if he seen how these so called "nazis" are today.

There's no shortage of companies wanting to advertise in that particular slot.

The reason CBS turned them down is because there would be backlash from airing it. Much safer to air a beer commercial or a twinkie commercial than something that obviously will piss off a very large number of Americans.

Seems pretty simple to me.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth

Ever been to a restaurant with a sign by the door saying something to the effect of "We reserve the right to refuse service to whomever we please"?

Customers are valued not just because of the money they pay - but also based upon how they affect the goodwill of the business. We do have the concept of freedom of association. No business should be obligated to accept a customer against its will.

Originally posted by wonderwench
We do have the concept of freedom of association. No business should be obligated to accept a customer against its will.
Well, actually we don't have such an iron clad freedom and businesses continually are obligated to accept members/patrons that they would otherwise not have.

Forum List

Back