This SUCKS! $230 million!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Mr. P, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Anybody have a problem with US tax payer money going to rebuild Lebanon besides me? :blowup:

2. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    Nope - not at all... Lebanon is a Christian nation - only 20% there are muslim, 80% are Christian.... we need to stand w/ the country over there in their time of need....

Our enemy there isn't Levanon - it's the freaks in Hezbulah and Iran who has been fighting this proxy war.

3. red states rule

red states rule Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572

I think this is a fair deal. $230 million for a $100 million contract is a great deal

4. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Neither of you have given a valid reason why US tax payers should fork over $230 million to rebuild Lebanon.

5. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Because the U.S. is an evil empire responsible for all the evil and destruction in the world and this $230 million is just another small step towards full reparations?

6. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,739

A drop in the bucket compared to what we give to Israel. Is there any valid reason for either? :huh:

7. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I suppose I would rather the money come from us than from Hezbollah (given to the terrorist organization by Iran).

If we do not support Lebanon as it rebuilds and hopefully gets to work on a functional, non-terrorist government...then the money Iran is filtering in through Hezbollah will be the only money those people see...it will be hard to win friends and allies if the people rebuilding their schools, mosques, churches, markets, businesses, and homes are the people we are claiming are the enemy.

I am not thrilled with the notion - but I am less thrilled with the people of Lebanon being happy with the rebuilding efforts of Hezbollah and Iran and even angrier at the US for doing nothing.

Is there a better solution?

8. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Yep, we should have let Israel destroy Hezbollah, and then I’d feel different. Why pay to rebuild something that is going to be destroyed again?

9. Emmett

Emmett Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Hey everybody, a big tree fell on my favorite collector pick up the other day, can I have 3 or 4 thousand dollars to rebuild it please. I promise not to give any to Hezbollah or the Iranians. What's the differnece. Israel has refused my request!

10. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    The United States has provided aid to poor and war torn nations for decades. It is an effective tool for alleviating human suffering, improving the United States' reputation regionally and globally, and increasing US power and influence in the affected area as well as in international relations. I support it's distribution and hope that we continue to assist the people of Lebanon, both in hopes alleviating the pain and suffering in that now destroyed country as well as improving our image in the region while simultaneously curbing Hizbollah's power.