This shit sucks!

What is the treatment? My father guinea pigged for a drug called Interferon back in the early 90's, it added a year and a half of life on top of his initial prognosis. At the time that was the "aggressive new treatment".

after the kidney came out 1998/1999 (they got the whole tumor), I guess he got radiation/chemo as a follow up. he was supposed to be cancer free. when it came back it 2000/2001 it was inoperable and a death sentence (spread like wildfire). he was treated experimentally with the fact that it would only, maybe, prolong life by a short time (2002).

Did the cancer come back in the remaining kidney or somewhere else?

My dad had an aortic aneurysm (it was located in his abdomen) a few years ago and when they opened him up they found one of his kidneys was cancerous. They removed it and he made a full recovery . . . he didn't even get follow-up chemo or anything.

elsewhere, and it spread like wildfire. at some point, all the efforts and techniques available to us are inadequate fro the result we desire. that is one of the tough truths of life.

after the kidney came out 1998/1999 (they got the whole tumor), i guess he got radiation/chemo as a follow up. He was supposed to be cancer free. When it came back it 2000/2001 it was inoperable and a death sentence (spread like wildfire). He was treated experimentally with the fact that it would only, maybe, prolong life by a short time (2002).

did the cancer come back in the remaining kidney or somewhere else?

My dad had an aortic aneurysm (it was located in his abdomen) a few years ago and when they opened him up they found one of his kidneys was cancerous. They removed it and he made a full recovery . . . He didn't even get follow-up chemo or anything.

elsewhere, and it spread like wildfire. At some point, all the efforts and techniques available to us are inadequate fro the result we desire. That is one of the tough truths of life.

:( :(

did the cancer come back in the remaining kidney or somewhere else?

My dad had an aortic aneurysm (it was located in his abdomen) a few years ago and when they opened him up they found one of his kidneys was cancerous. They removed it and he made a full recovery . . . He didn't even get follow-up chemo or anything.

elsewhere, and it spread like wildfire. At some point, all the efforts and techniques available to us are inadequate fro the result we desire. That is one of the tough truths of life.

:( :(

acceptance is a difficult thing to grasp. more difficult is denial. maintaining denial is much more difficult than accepting society's limitations.

For my brother: "How lucky I am to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye to."

According to Kuber-Ross there are 5 stages of grief. Much truth there I think.

The progression of states is:
Denial – "I feel fine."; "This can't be happening, not to me."
Denial is usually only a temporary defense for the individual. This feeling is generally replaced with heightened awareness of situations and individuals that will be left behind after death.

Anger – "Why me? It's not fair!"; "How can this happen to me?"; "Who is to blame?"
Once in the second stage, the individual recognizes that denial cannot continue. Because of anger, the person is very difficult to care for due to misplaced feelings of rage and envy. Any individual that symbolizes life or energy is subject to projected resentment and jealousy.

Bargaining – "Just let me live to see my children graduate."; "I'll do anything for a few more years."; "I will give my life savings if..."
The third stage involves the hope that the individual can somehow postpone or delay death. Usually, the negotiation for an extended life is made with a higher power in exchange for a reformed lifestyle. Psychologically, the individual is saying, "I understand I will die, but if I could just have more time..."

Depression – "I'm so sad, why bother with anything?"; "I'm going to die... What's the point?"; "I miss my loved one, why go on?"
During the fourth stage, the dying person begins to understand the certainty of death. Because of this, the individual may become silent, refuse visitors and spend much of the time crying and grieving. This process allows the dying person to disconnect oneself from things of love and affection. It is not recommended to attempt to cheer up an individual who is in this stage. It is an important time for grieving that must be processed.

Acceptance – "It's going to be okay."; "I can't fight it, I may as well prepare for it."
In this last stage, the individual begins to come to terms with their mortality or that of their loved one.

Kübler-Ross model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to Kuber-Ross there are 5 stages of grief. Much truth there I think.

The progression of states is:...

Kübler-Ross model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Her theories are based on s-o-m-e reasonable things, nut...

Some of us have very serious issues with Kubler Ross.

"Skeptic Magazine published the findings of the Grief Recovery Institute, which contested the concept of stages of grief as they relate to people who are dealing with the deaths of people important to them.[6]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model#Criticism

Personally, I think she's an evil, progressive witch. But that's just my view.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your kind words and prayers.
Brian died just after 5 pm. Even though I was told he was unconscious he seemed to have waited until his daughter arrived and passed soon after. They say the last thing to go is ones hearing so I believe he knew she was coming and waited. He was just a month older than me, had done much throughout his life and was a great friend to a lot of people, the world is a lesser place without him, at least it is to those of us who knew and loved him. I feel like I've lost a brother.

Just received word that one of my best friends is in John Hopkins and is not expected to make it though the night. He was diagnosed with kidney cancer last year that had worked it's way into his lungs. He was responding extremely well to the aggressive treatment and seemed to be beating this so it comes as a shock. He was married about two years ago to a wonderful woman and I feel so sorry for her. Right now I can't get up there but he has many mutual friends and family with him at this moment and they are keeping me appraised of the situation. If he lasts a few more days I can get there if not I'll be there with many other friends for his widow.

At least it sounds if family and firends are around.

My sympathies to you and your friends family.

Life just kinda sucks bigtime like that sometimes.
It will suck but eventually we get over it. For those who are left anyway.

Just received word that one of my best friends is in John Hopkins and is not expected to make it though the night. He was diagnosed with kidney cancer last year that had worked it's way into his lungs. He was responding extremely well to the aggressive treatment and seemed to be beating this so it comes as a shock. He was married about two years ago to a wonderful woman and I feel so sorry for her. Right now I can't get up there but he has many mutual friends and family with him at this moment and they are keeping me appraised of the situation. If he lasts a few more days I can get there if not I'll be there with many other friends for his widow.

My heart goes out to you and my wish for your friend is to be at peace with himself and the world.....and not to be afraid. I went through the same thing with my Dad a couple years back.

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers.
Brian died just after 5 pm. Even though I was told he was unconscious he seemed to have waited until his daughter arrived and passed soon after. They say the last thing to go is ones hearing so I believe he knew she was coming and waited. He was just a month older than me, had done much throughout his life and was a great friend to a lot of people, the world is a lesser place without him, at least it is to those of us who knew and loved him. I feel like I've lost a brother.

I'm sorry to hear that. Very sad. :(

I'm so sorry. It's so hard to say goodbye to those we love. May the joy of knowing him out weigh the pain of letting him go. :(

Forum List

Back