This Might Just be a First: Student Turns Down Oxford University

Oct 8, 2009
For those who don't know Oxford U, it is one of the world's leading Universities, a UK 'redbrick' (or Ivy League to we 'Yanks').

The student attended an interview and wrote a 'rejection' letter BEFORE hearing from them whether she'd been offered a place. (The letter is reproduced in full in the article).

Now, I have a special place in my heart for Oxford U, and it is a great University, but I totally understand where she is coming from with the letter. Every criticism she makes is absolutely true. It is 'elitist', 'intimidating', and I'll go one further - many of its students are a bunch of 'ruling-class entitlement' assholes.

Good for her. She wrote to them in the same format that Oxford U writes to rejected applicants. Maybe Oxford should take heed and make its less well off students feel more 'welcome' at their establishment.

In case you need an explanation, for 'state school' read 'public school'.

A state school pupil has sent a rejection letter to Oxford University mocking its standards and rituals after being interviewed for a place.

Elly Nowell, 19, wrote to Magdalen College that it 'did not quite meet the standard' of other universities.

In a parody of the institution's own letters, she wrote that she found the 'obvious gap' between minorities and white middle-class students 'embarrassing'.

Read more: Elly Nowell sends Oxford her OWN rejection letter criticising 'grand interview setting' | Mail Online

And, in case you don't get the joke in my title.... the highest rating from a UK University is 'a First'.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back