This may be it!!!

Philobeado

Gold Member
Apr 8, 2009
Gulf of Mexico Coast, Texas
YELLOWSTONE SUPERVOLCANO GETTING READY TO BLOW ITS CORK

updated 1-22-10

compiled by Dee Finney
2010 - Beginning last Sunday, there have been over 1,000 earthquakes registered at Yellowstone
Super Volcano. The largest of the series measured at 3.8 magnitude. If they reach the 4.0+
magnitude, it will most likely call for increased cautionary monitoring and perhaps a call
for public 'watch!"

Posted by geologist Christopher C. Sanders on January 1, 2009.
"I am advising all State officials around Yellowstone National Park for a potential State of Emergency. In the last week over 252 earthquakes have been observed by the USGS. We have a 3D view on the movement of magma rising underground. We have all of the pre warning signs of a major eruption from a super volcano. - I want everyone to leave Yellowstone National Park and for 200 miles around the volcano caldera."

There are earthquake swarms at Yellowstone on a regular basis and have been for decades. The last was late 2008/early 2009. Every time, somebody claims the sky is falling.

As of January 31, 2010 9:00 AM MST there have been 1,608 located earthquakes in the recent Yellowstone National Park swarm. The swarm began January 17, 2010 around 1:00 PM MST about 10 miles (16 km) northwest of the Old Faithful area on the northwestern edge of Yellowstone Caldera. Swarms have occurred in this area several times over the past two decades.

The current number of daily earthquakes is well above typical daily earthquake activity at Yellowstone. Nevertheless swarms are common at Yellowstone, with magnitudes occasionally above 4.0. There were about 900 earthquakes during the December 2008 - January 2009 Yellowstone Lake swarm. The 1985 swarm, also on the northwest rim of the caldera but several miles from the current swarm, lasted for three months. During the 1985 swarm there were over 3000 total events recorded, with magnitudes ranging up to M4.9.

YVO staff from the USGS, University of Utah, and Yellowstone National Park continue to carefully review all data streams that are recorded in real-time. At this time, there is no reason to believe that magma has risen to a shallow level within the crust or that a volcanic eruption is likely. The current swarm earthquakes are likely the result of slip on pre-existing faults rather than underground movement of magma. The USGS Volcano Alert Level and Aviation Color Code for Yellowstone remains at Normal and Green.
At this time, no one has noted any anomalous changes in surface discharges (hot springs, gas output, etc.). Keep in mind that it is winter and much of the park is covered in snow.

For full article:

Yellowstone Earthquake Swarm Summary as of 31 January 2010

For real time US quake info (M1+):

Latest Earthquakes M1.0+ in the USA - Past 7 days

Lets hope its this place doesn't blow its top ino our time.

Was watching a show on this the other day. The cauldera that is Yellowstone has the capacity to be devastating for the whole US. The special says this place blows on average every 67,000 years. Lets just hope its way, way, way in our future.

For perspective, here's a link to the graphs of Yellowstone earthquake activity from 1994-2004. Note the black spikes indicate the number of earthquakes per day, while the red line tracks number of quakes for the year:

Graphs of the number of earthquakes per year at Yellowstone for the years 1994 to 2004

Note in every year over this ten-year span there are spikes in the number of quakes per day. If these spikes are large enough and happen to occur mostly in one location, it's a swarm. By itself, meaningless.

Another article, this one detailing the April 2004 swarm:

Yellowstone Earthquake Swarms

The 2003 thermal changes in the Norris Basin area of the park:

Notable Changes in Thermal Activity at Norris Geyser Basin Provide Opportunity to Study Hydrothermal System

And on and on.....each page has a list of links to other, similar articles on similar events dating back to at least 1985. None of these, obviously, were followed by an eruption. But panic is paydirt! :D

updated 1-22-10

compiled by Dee Finney
2010 - Beginning last Sunday, there have been over 1,000 earthquakes registered at Yellowstone
Super Volcano. The largest of the series measured at 3.8 magnitude. If they reach the 4.0+
magnitude, it will most likely call for increased cautionary monitoring and perhaps a call
for public 'watch!"

Posted by geologist Christopher C. Sanders on January 1, 2009.
"I am advising all State officials around Yellowstone National Park for a potential State of Emergency. In the last week over 252 earthquakes have been observed by the USGS. We have a 3D view on the movement of magma rising underground. We have all of the pre warning signs of a major eruption from a super volcano. - I want everyone to leave Yellowstone National Park and for 200 miles around the volcano caldera."

200 miles wouldn't be enough.

BTW, we had a 5.0 here this morning.

Even though the magma's frightenin'
And the ash all around is brightenin'
We've really no where to go
Let it blow let it blow let it blow

The damn thing will most likely blow its lid again at some point, which is why it's watched so carefully. But that could be tomorrow - or 100,000 years from now. Which is still practically "tomorrow" in geological time, but a huge difference in human time.

Scaring people to death over nothing in order to sell books on freaky bible code mumbo jumbo like the site in the OP kinda burns me. Can you tell?

Bush's fault...

He should have done something to prevent this...

NYTimes

Yellowstone Erupts, Bush to blame, Women, Children and minorities hit hardest

President Obama to address the nation right after his appearance on Oprah

Republican Congressional minority fought Obama's Earthquake Prevention Tax

It is all in gods plan, do not worry.

Just make sure you're wearing your special ascension robe when it kicks off. ;)

I have my magic Morman underwear on.

And for only $49.95 plus shipping and handling you can get the hyProphecy, robe, and underwear PLUS we'll throw in this fashionable tinfoil headgear as a FREE GIFT.

Don't wait to order, the world might end before you get in on the deal. :D

Bush's fault...

He should have done something to prevent this...

He and Cheney came up with that plan to slant drill vents into the caldera (Halliburton was going to get the no-bid contract, of course) but -- damn the luck -- the EPA wouldn't sign off on the necessary environmental impact statements.

Fuckin' libs.

Just make sure you're wearing your special ascension robe when it kicks off. ;)

And for only $49.95 plus shipping and handling you can get the hyProphecy, robe, and underwear PLUS we'll throw in this fashionable tinfoil headgear as a FREE GIFT.

How about the new jeans, trainers and castration?

How about the new jeans, trainers and castration?

Picky, picky! But hey, if you want to believe you have time left to shop around, feel free!

Forum List

Back