CDZ This man could be POTUS...He's clearly better than the one we have

And not losing liberty to a bunch of XXXXXXXXX that dont give 2 XXXXX about me is on the top of that list.

Therein lies the problem: selfishness. It's not about you. It's not about me. It's about the polity.

I didn't refrain from voting for Trump because I thought his promises would be bad for me. I didn't vote for him because I was (and remain) certain his policies, if implemented, will be horrible for people very much not like me.
  • Pass-through entity tax preferences --> great for me
  • Corporate tax reductions --> great for me and my firm
  • Tax rate reduction --> never hurts me to pay less in taxes
  • Immigration policies --> Best as I can tell, no direct impact on me one way or another
  • Protectionist trade policy --> No direct impact, but the national impact will cost me some coin
  • The Wall --> A waste of my tax dollars
  • "Muslim" ban --> I could not care less whether people from those six/seven countries can come to the U.S. or can't.
  • Trustworthiness/character/integrity --> This is pivotal in putting me against Trump. There is no good that can come from having a POTUS whose word cannot, more often than not, be trusted.
    • Coherence --> I don't know how anybody can "get behind" a man who's basically incoherent whenever he opens his mouth or pens a tweet. I am not a psychic.
  • Substance, aka, subject matter ignorance and refusal to do anything about it --> This is the other factor that I simply cannot condone in a POTUS. There's no good to come from an inveterate nitwit being POTUS. It'd have been different had he shown signs of actually becoming knowledgeable and proactive about the major issues of the day, but he showed none. Even now it appears he doesn't "do his homework."
Were I considering myself and my family alone, and based solely on policy promises, I'd have voted for Trump. I voted against Trump because I think he'll be very bad for most people. Those last two bullet points surround everything else and that they do means it doesn't matter what the man proposes, I cannot confidently follow his lead. The man could as easily be leading me through the gates of Hell or into the Garden of Eden, and he inspires zero confidence in me that it isn't the former.

Sen. Langford, on the other hand, at least with regard to the things I've seen him discuss, inspires all sorts of confidence, for it's clear he knows what he's talking about, and he doesn't seem like a sycophant to his party. I also hear his words and feel confident that what I heard is what he meant. I don't see him pulling that middle-schooler BS that Trump does every time you turn around.

And not losing liberty to a bunch of XXXXXXXXX that dont give 2 XXXXX about me is on the top of that list.

Therein lies the problem: selfishness. It's not about you. It's not about me. It's about the polity.

I didn't refrain from voting for Trump because I thought his promises would be bad for me. I didn't vote for him because I was (and remain) certain his policies, if implemented, will be horrible for people very much not like me.
  • Immigration policies --> Best as I can tell, no direct impact on me one way or another
  • Protectionist trade policy --> No direct impact, but the national impact will cost me some coin
  • "Muslim" ban --> I could not care less whether people from those six/seven countries can come to the U.S. or can't.
  • Trustworthiness/character/integrity --> This is pivotal in putting me against Trump. There is no good that can come from having a POTUS whose word cannot, more often than not, be trusted.
    • Coherence --> I don't know how anybody can "get behind" a man who's basically incoherent whenever he opens his mouth or pens a tweet. I am not a psychic.
  • Substance, aka, subject matter ignorance and refusal to do anything about it --> This is the other factor that I simply cannot condone in a POTUS. There's no good to come from an inveterate nitwit being POTUS. It'd have been different had he shown signs of actually becoming knowledgeable and proactive about the major issues of the day, but he showed none. Even now it appears he doesn't "do his homework."
Were I considering myself and my family alone, and based solely on policy promises, I'd have voted for Trump. I voted against Trump because I think he'll be very bad for most people. Those last two bullet points surround everything else and that they do means it doesn't matter what the man proposes, I cannot confidently follow his lead. The man could as easily be leading me through the gates of Hell or into the Garden of Eden, and he inspires zero confidence in me that it isn't the former.

Sen. Langford, on the other hand, at least with regard to the things I've seen him discuss, inspires all sorts of confidence, for it's clear he knows what he's talking about, and he doesn't seem like a sycophant to his party. I also hear his words and feel confident that what I heard is what he meant. I don't see him pulling that middle-schooler BS that Trump does every time you turn around.
By me I meant American citizens. And I was referring to the govt, not one person in particular.
I don't think about just me when discussing policy. I think about the country. Such as taxes. I enjoy the shit out of my credits and the discrimination I benefit from for being married and having children but I want it fixed.
That guy voted for the extension to the Patriot Act and that is enough for me not to like him. It takes a lot more to get my respect than presentation.

By me I meant American citizens. And I was referring to the govt, not one person in particular.
I don't think about just me when discussing policy. I think about the country. Such as taxes. I enjoy the shit out of my credits and the discrimination I benefit from for being married and having children but I want it fixed.
That guy voted for the extension to the Patriot Act and that is enough for me not to like him. It takes a lot more to get my respect than presentation.

Okay...TY for the clarification.

Patriot Act brat. No thanks.
I could never defend someone that will put security over freedom or liberty. Especially putting that faith in our bloated bureaucracy

You're entitled to feel that way.

I, however, think I can give up a bit of liberty in exchange for a lot of life. Just how much or little and under what circumstances will I acquiesce to any given ratio of the two, well, that's something I can only address on a case by case basis.

Forum List

Back