This Kitten is Driving Me CRAZY!

Spraying a cat for behavior modification is a recommendation from most vets. BUT, they do stress that you should not use a direct stream of water but a wide spray. The direct stream is to "direct" and if you aren't careful you can inadvertantly hurt the cats eyes or ears. But not all cats have that aversion to water and in those cases the spray method will not work. My Maine Coon will actually get in the shower with me if I leave the door open enough for him to be able to get in. The orange guy is just to damned stubborn and head strong to care about a little bit of water being sprayed at him. He's one of those that likes to drink water from the faucet and has no problems with his face getting wet.

Anytime you find something that they seem to have a "smell aversion" to you've got the perfect training aide. The sprays you buy in the store to keep cats off of furniture or away from certain areas have never worked on my cats. Citrus smell has never worked on mine. But you have to remember that most of their "taste" likes and dislikes come from the way things smell. The stinkier their food is the more apt they are to like it.

"Walking cats"? Oh heck yeah. Mine have been leash trained since they chose to come live with us. They travel with us all the time and when we make potty stops they're walked right along with the dogs even though we have a smaller litter box that we take with us. But they love to go for walks. All I have to do is mention traveling or a walk and they go to where their collars are kept. It's nothing to see my little orange guy walking around with his collar in his mouth like he's trying to tell me something.

Midnight....I'm a lot like you. My cats pretty much go anywhere they want to in our house. They're fed up on one of the kitchen counters. They walk all over the counter tops and the kitchen table. They do know to stay away from where I'm cooking or stay off the table when we eat but other times they go all over. I keep lysol wipes around and use them constantly. They're fed on the counter because if not they would never have any food. The mutants would keep it eaten. The rest of the time, I fully understand why they prefer to be up on a counter top or the table when just relaxing and laying around.Keeps the mutants away from them for one thing and it satisfies their desire to be "higher up" than everyone else.

Unless you're a person that mistreats your animals, no one should be berated or talked down to for how they treat their pets. I get fussed at a lot for spoiling mine. Sure, to a point, they're spoiled. But they all know their boundaries and they no when I say no that they aren't supposed to do that. But they depend on me to assure that their lives are safe and that they're kept in such a way to maintain their health. The mutants are very protective over their "mamma" and they are a great comfort to me when my husband goes to work at night. They're all four very social animals. They love people and they adore children. And I honestly feel that the cats would be just as apt to go after someone they thought was a threat to their mamma and their home as the dogs would.

But again, not everyone raises their pets the same way. As long as a person isn't abusing their pets no one, IMO, has the right to condemn someone for the way they choose to raise their pets. To me a person that will abuse an animal is the lowest form of life there is second only to a child abuser.

Last edited:
dont give people milk to cats or kittens....a lot of them cant handle it....

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1039.jpg

clark of course is the handsome cat on the left...tiff is on the right....

i am sorry yall have ugly cats.

dont give people milk to cats or kittens....a lot of them cant handle it....

i am sorry yall have ugly cats.

Pshaw, woman. Mine ain't ugly, and they'll tell you so. (Tho, you're right on the people milk, tho - mine don't get *any* people food, and only eat dry Iam's kibbles. Once every couple months or so, canned cat food is mixed with the dry as a treat.)(

skittles2.gif

skit2.jpg

heh.jpg

ratt1.jpg

Skittles is the gray one, Ratt is the older than dirt crochety one..

Last edited by a moderator:
i use purina naturals...i am not a big fan of iams. i went thru this big research thing when the chinese were trying to poison clark. da man got home from vacation to find out i was feeding the cats that people quality food at 3 bucks a lb..it was not going well...the food is so expensive you try to go by the feeding guidelines..they went from free feeding to 1/4 cup 2x's a day...talk about some bitchie ass cats...he took me to boone to a major grocery store...said find a reasonable food for the cats...we spent hours reading and comparing charts etc...settled on purina naturals....you can get it ..14 lbs for 15 bucks at petsmart. cats thrive on it.

I've never had a cat that would touch iams. Talk about a waste of money. The one I have now is a bony little shelter refugee I'm trying to put a little weight on, but she's the pickiest thing I ever saw. The only thing she'll eat is purina one and I hate giving her that stuff. I like the naturals too. Once she gets a little weight on her, I'll try to switch her over. For now, it's not worth it.

the switch from purina one to naturals should be easy...i feed purina to all the varmets...dogs and cats...

did you see how handsome clark is?

I've never had a cat that would touch iams. Talk about a waste of money. The one I have now is a bony little shelter refugee I'm trying to put a little weight on, but she's the pickiest thing I ever saw. The only thing she'll eat is purina one and I hate giving her that stuff. I like the naturals too. Once she gets a little weight on her, I'll try to switch her over. For now, it's not worth it.

When I got Ratt, there was no such thing as "Naturals" in any commercial cat food.. This was almost 20 years ago. There's no changing a cats food after the first few years.. They'l starve themselves rather than stick their face in something unfamiliar.

Then again, this is the cat wherein I can put an OPEN can of tuna on the counter, and she won't go near it because it's in a "no" area...but the second it hits the floor, it's hers...

We're still working on the "no" areas. :lol:
Kittens are wild, but training them when they're almost grown can be more challenging. I wish she'd eat tuna though. She was taken out of a place where she was seriously neglected, so we have some issues to work out. She's great with the kids though.

I don't have a cat nor would I get a cat and so far I've had no problems with them nor do I miss them. If you insist on buying something that you have to feed, clean up their shit, take to the vet and terrorizes your home then you may as well have a baby.

( babies don't get fleas and nor drag nearly as many dead animals or insects into you home for approval.)

Last edited:
Awwwwwwwww what absolutely gorgeous furbabies. BUT sorry....mine are the most gorgeous of them all!! Shovel is looking at the camera and Bootwo is the one with his head tucked down against his brother. Both are rescues. Booter was hanging out where my husband worked and he called me to come get him. Shovel was rescued out of a house with 40 other cats all being kept in tiny filthy carriers for breeding. They're both getting on up in years so they get Purina (the name is on the tip of my tongue) something. It's designed for the "older" cat. They turn their noses up at the "designer" kitty foods and the ONLY people food they'll touch is chicken. We've actually broiled them fresh fish and they turn their noses up at it. But they loveeeeeeeeeeee chicken. The mutant, Harley, sitting down in front is our resident ham. Anytime the camera comes out he has to be in the picture.

IMG_0730.jpg

Midnight....I'm a lot like you. My cats pretty much go anywhere they want to in our house. They're fed up on one of the kitchen counters. They walk all over the counter tops and the kitchen table.
I even cut holes in the two small bar-counters I have, where I placed snack bowls. Went ahead and did it on a corner of the kitchen table too, and the center island in the kitchen! "Snack bars" with greenies or some other nummie treat kept in them, the cats love it.

On the bottom shelf at either end of the center island, is their main grazing troughs. 3 feet long, these hold five different crunchy foods. It's a buffet. They like the variety. They like to graze, take care of "grumbellys" when they want.

I have five cats living in the house. All very happy campers. They get "yard time" 2-3 times a day for a 1-3 hours at a time, usually in the fenced back yard. Always with me out there. When we return from outside, they get a bag of tuna I split between them. Occasionally, I will substitute a can of "wet" food instead, each cat gets a dab of that.

Water bowls -- I have two of them, stainless steel. One large one is on the floor near one of the bars, the other is on the coffee table! They drink ALOT of water, and the bowls are cleaned and refilled once each day.

They have their own private restroom in the laundry room. A large litter box, custom made, it's 3 feet wide and 5 feet long. I have a sieve system for cleaning this twice a day.

I have four homemade cat trees, a few box condos, and many "napsacks" all throughout the house. Each cat has his/her favorite spot, but they also don't mind if someone else gets it first.

These cats live the life of Riley.

Here's one of my latest rescue cats, Lovey, having a go at one of the "snack bars."

Grumbelly.jpeg

Minnit, in one of the "napsacks."

Napsack.jpeg

Powley and Minnit, same spot as Lovey was earlier:

Howdy.jpeg

Booger Bear, in one of the napsacks:

Nap%20Sack%20Situation2%21.jpg

Booger Bear again, enjoying some outside time on the cable tether. Note connector at collar, I use very thin and light aircraft control cable for their leashes:

Wild%20Frontier.jpg

Here's my oldest cat, Peanut. She is 16 or 17 but you would never know by how she acts. Loves playing and loves the outdoor time:

Grazing.gif

Another one of Peanut:

Regal%20Queen%20of%20Cats.jpg

Ahh the cats. Where would we be without 'em?

dont make me get out my camera....we all know clark is the most handsome little fellow..o duckie no one cares what you would or would not do. did we mention that?

Awwwwwwwww what absolutely gorgeous furbabies. BUT sorry....mine are the most gorgeous of them all!! Shovel is looking at the camera and Bootwo is the one with his head tucked down against his brother. Both are rescues. Booter was hanging out where my husband worked and he called me to come get him. Shovel was rescued out of a house with 40 other cats all being kept in tiny filthy carriers for breeding. They're both getting on up in years so they get Purina (the name is on the tip of my tongue) something. It's designed for the "older" cat. They turn their noses up at the "designer" kitty foods and the ONLY people food they'll touch is chicken. We've actually broiled them fresh fish and they turn their noses up at it. But they loveeeeeeeeeeee chicken. The mutant, Harley, sitting down in front is our resident ham. Anytime the camera comes out he has to be in the picture.

IMG_0730.jpg

you see that throw on your sofa? I bought mine in El Paso. where did you buy yours?

Sounds like a typical kitty to me. Do you have a couple corrugated cardboard scratching pads and a pot of grass for it to nom on?

Paul? Strange name for a cat.

Yes, I have those scratching posts things. We also put out mini-Echo's old Barbie dollhouse, she likes to play in that, and climb on top of it play with the top of the ball on the scratching post! :lol:

I should get a pot of grass, that's a good idea!

PS-Kitten is sitting in my lap as I type this, that's the only way I can calm her down, she LOVES to sit in mommy's lap! :)

Don't forget the spray water bottle to correct undesirable behavior.

Does that whole have gallons of water on your yard work? How though? If the water is inside the gallons? :lol:

"you see that throw on your sofa? I bought mine in El Paso. where did you buy yours?"

ummmmmm at a Wilco Truck Stop half way between my house and Wilmington, NC. They sale them at a lot of the convenience stores here in NC. I'd be willing to bet yours is made a lot better than the ones I have. lol

Midnight.......again, you sound like me the way you pretty much have set your house up for your furbabies. My husband and I are constantly saying we bought this house for them, we're just their live in care takers. We have an acre and a half fenced with a 5ft high fence. That is their wander area. For the first week after they finally finished the fence the mutants (the 2 dogs) wouldn't let them get but a foot or two away from the deck. Once they realized they couldn't or wouldn't go any further than the fence allowed they've left them alone. I sit and watch all four of them in the mornings playing and just having a high ole time. We've got "sitting areas" set up in front of just about every window in the house for the two cats and they have numerous hidey hole type napping spots. My orange boy's favorite spot is the little cabinet above the refridgerator. We took the doors off so he can watch his world while he looks down on us all. If I can't find him, there are two floor level cabinets that I know to look in. The Maine Coon's favorite place is under the bed behind the curtains. That's where he goes when he wants total privacy. The mutants have doggy beds in every room but the kitchen and two bathrooms but they sleep with me at night. My husband constantly tries to sneak in and get a picture of the 5 of us in bed but they always wake up and ruin the shot. I'm pretty much limited to one tiny spot all night long. My biggest dog is 132lbs and the little guy, the one in the picture with the two cats is 87lbs. The cats combined are right at 40lbs. So, I don't get much bed space for myself. But, they're a comfort having them close at night. My husband leaves for work between 8-9 every night and we live pretty far out in the country. They become different animals when he leaves the house. I gotta say yours do live the life of riley. Mine, well like I said, this is their house. We're just their care takers.

LOL Strollin........we'll just have to agree that we all think that our furbabies are the most gorgeous of them all and let it go at that. They're all absolutely gorgeous!!

Ok, just for the record, here are all of my furbabies together. This is the ONLY picture I've been able to get with them all in the same area at the same time. I almost broke my fool neck getting to the camera before they moved. You have to look closely to see my orange boy, bootwo, he's in the basket under the window.

IMG_0634.jpg

When knuckle dog was still a little guy...he is much to big to be walking the deck railing now
IMG_0301.jpg

Harley and bootwo in one of their favorite spots
IMG_0502.jpg

Last edited:
He is now almost 3 months old. Paul sent me a planter for my birthday, I put it up high above on my computer stand. Well, ole' bratty kitty wants to climb on TOP of my computer, then on the tower, to the top of the computer stand to eat the plant!

He also likes to jump on top of the TV center and try to get into the doors that keeps the movies, etc. in them. He can OPEN the plastic doors I have (the kind that stores things) and get inside them.

Is this a demon kitty? :eek:

:lol:No!!! he is just a very athletic and curious little kitty, that's all. My 10 year old cat Scooterbug,as big as he is, still crawls all over the place, getting into things. He still thinks that he is a Kitten. Kittens will do that, no matter how careful you are. One thing you need to be careful of is if someone brings a Lilly Plant into the house, and kitty gets a hold of it,it is very Toxic to their system and could kill them.Even those Christmas plants called the Pointsetta.DEATH to your pet!!!!And certain indoor green leaf plants,will harm your pet, seriously.It is just like having a young child in the home,you got to be very careful.

He is now almost 3 months old. Paul sent me a planter for my birthday, I put it up high above on my computer stand. Well, ole' bratty kitty wants to climb on TOP of my computer, then on the tower, to the top of the computer stand to eat the plant!

He also likes to jump on top of the TV center and try to get into the doors that keeps the movies, etc. in them. He can OPEN the plastic doors I have (the kind that stores things) and get inside them.

Is this a demon kitty? :eek:

:lol:No!!! he is just a very athletic and curious little kitty, that's all. My 10 year old cat Scooterbug,as big as he is, still crawls all over the place, getting into things. He still thinks that he is a Kitten. Kittens will do that, no matter how careful you are. One thing you need to be careful of is if someone brings a Lilly Plant into the house, and kitty gets a hold of it,it is very Toxic to their system and could kill them.Even those Christmas plants called the Pointsetta.DEATH to your pet!!!!And certain indoor green leaf plants,will harm your pet, seriously.It is just like having a young child in the home,you got to be very careful.

My cat kept me from spending too much time on the computer....when she wanted attention, she'd jump on the desk walk across the top of my hands on the keyboard and lay down and look at me. "It's my turn for attention, mommy." I miss my cat.

Sounds like a typical kitty to me. Do you have a couple corrugated cardboard scratching pads and a pot of grass for it to nom on?

Paul? Strange name for a cat.

Yes, I have those scratching posts things. We also put out mini-Echo's old Barbie dollhouse, she likes to play in that, and climb on top of it play with the top of the ball on the scratching post! :lol:

I should get a pot of grass, that's a good idea!

PS-Kitten is sitting in my lap as I type this, that's the only way I can calm her down, she LOVES to sit in mommy's lap! :)
When he's doing something you don't want him to do, distract him with a laser pointer. He will forget all about the unauthorized activity immediately, and focus solely on catching that "firefly."

Hours of good clean fun.

:lol: It works for my old cat Scooterbug!!! he still thinks that he is still a kitten...

Forum List

Back