This just came up on my facebook.

elchorizo

Platinum Member
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2009
I'm on a page for my neighborhood community on Facebook. I have a large dog (108 lbs) -- he is of a breed that can be aggressive (Cane Corso) -- he's inside most of the time, and I bring him to work most of the time... so he certainly isn't a dog that is outside all the time. I do of course leave him in the backyard sometimes, and he can bark when he sees something that alerts him... He doesn't bark all the time, and if I'm home and I hear him barking I bring him inside.

I saw this post and the first 10 or so after it were all essentially agreeing with this person and I couldn't believe it. I seriously wanted to say: "Are we seriously having this conversation right now? Is this what American has devolved into?"

Fortunately, before I had a chance to get to the computer more logical people chimed in and essentially said what I wanted to say... but I wanted to hear what everyone else had to say. Here's a cut and paste of the post:

Not so Merry Christmas ...

I know we have a lot of pet owners in the neighborhood, some of whom are more responsible than others.

While walking through the neighborhood regularly, my wife and I have often been startled by aggressively barking dogs who seemed to have been waiting behind their fences just for us to appear. We always hypothesized what could happen if an elderly person would come along that way and be startled like that ... maybe even getting a heart attack.

We know several dog owners who have responsibly trained their dogs to not react like this, or who are keeping their dogs inside the house. But apparently, others are just ignoring their responsibilities and "don't care".

We never addressed any of these owners because we didn't want to aggravate anybody.

Unfortunately, my wife had to pay that price last week. While she was on her morning walk, one of these aggressive watch dogs jumped against the fence while barking like crazy. This shocked her so much that she reacted in a side-step away from the fence and off the side-walk, where she fell face forward onto the concrete. She suffered not only a mild head trauma but she fractured her humerus and had to be taken to a hospital ER for treatment.

This all occurred while I was on a business trip through Europe and Africa.

Since we have a teenaged daughter and no family in the country I had to cancel my ongoing trip and book a next-day return flight.

As you can imagine, this is not only causing my wife severe pain and discomfort for weeks to come, it has also made this one of the worst Christmas season for our family ever. On top of that, it has created a few thousand dollars worth of costs (healthcare, unscheduled return trip, cancellation of two week trips) for our family, which we have to cover out-of-pocket.

In the next few days I will personally contact the owners of this lovely pet to find out how they will face their "responsibilities". I hope that everyone who has a dog like this, and who treats or handles that dog without proper training or restraints is prepared to willingly cover their part in our Christmas story.

We will no longer tolerate ignorance towards others when it comes to responsibly handling pets. This might happen again ... and with an outcome worse than ours.

So someone walking by get's barked at and now should be able to sue?

Sounds like the woman has some weak bones. Maybe she should check about that with her doctors.

Dear God. When I owned restaurants, I had a lady come in and tell me that she was once the "Victim of a fall" and that there were all sorts of places in my restaurant where she might fall and hurt herself.

Take a second to let the phrase "Victim of a Fall" fully sink in.

I asked her not to come back. Cereal Killer is right, at least half a nation of pussies. When did being a victim become more of a bragging point than being able to change your own flat tire?

lol.

and he's going to "personally contact" the owner. This owner would personally tell him to fuck off. Maybe get your wife some walking lessons for Christmas......

What do you expect? FFS, we have robbers that can sue home owners if they get hurt breaking in your house!!
We need a change, BAD

Sounds like a bunch of nerds to me.... Who is this guy ? Santa Clause with his "Christmas Story" He is really reaching with this one. Think he should ask one of his elfs for a sack :)

What do you expect? FFS, we have robbers that can sue home owners if they get hurt breaking in your house!!
We need a change, BAD
The family can sue you if you shoot and kill the intruder as well
Lets not forget our lovely democrat primary contenders want gun violence victims to be able to sue gun manufacturers!
Up next : "my kid got hurt by a drunk driver. I am suing Chevy and Jack Daniels"

I'm usually of the opinion that in any disagreement, neither party is ever 100% correct.
In this instance, the stretch of an owner 'allowing' his dog to be in his owner's yard, who occasionally aggressively barks, being somehow responsible for ruining the Christmas season, is just outright insanity.
One MIGHT be able to argue that the owner could be held responsible for the broken bones IF this was the first time that lady had walked by that house, and she honestly didn't know there was a dog there. Maybe.
That being said, taking to social media and spewing your anger is not going to get an owner to change any behavior. In fact, it will probably just get him to leave his dog out there just in spite.
The appropriate action would have been to stop by the owner's house, anger abetted, and see if he'd be willing to find a way to prevent the dog from being so close to the sidewalk. Maybe.

I'm on a page for my neighborhood community on Facebook. I have a large dog (108 lbs) -- he is of a breed that can be aggressive (Cane Corso) -- he's inside most of the time, and I bring him to work most of the time... so he certainly isn't a dog that is outside all the time. I do of course leave him in the backyard sometimes, and he can bark when he sees something that alerts him... He doesn't bark all the time, and if I'm home and I hear him barking I bring him inside.

I saw this post and the first 10 or so after it were all essentially agreeing with this person and I couldn't believe it. I seriously wanted to say: "Are we seriously having this conversation right now? Is this what American has devolved into?"

Fortunately, before I had a chance to get to the computer more logical people chimed in and essentially said what I wanted to say... but I wanted to hear what everyone else had to say. Here's a cut and paste of the post:

Not so Merry Christmas ...

I know we have a lot of pet owners in the neighborhood, some of whom are more responsible than others.

While walking through the neighborhood regularly, my wife and I have often been startled by aggressively barking dogs who seemed to have been waiting behind their fences just for us to appear. We always hypothesized what could happen if an elderly person would come along that way and be startled like that ... maybe even getting a heart attack.

We know several dog owners who have responsibly trained their dogs to not react like this, or who are keeping their dogs inside the house. But apparently, others are just ignoring their responsibilities and "don't care".

We never addressed any of these owners because we didn't want to aggravate anybody.

Unfortunately, my wife had to pay that price last week. While she was on her morning walk, one of these aggressive watch dogs jumped against the fence while barking like crazy. This shocked her so much that she reacted in a side-step away from the fence and off the side-walk, where she fell face forward onto the concrete. She suffered not only a mild head trauma but she fractured her humerus and had to be taken to a hospital ER for treatment.

This all occurred while I was on a business trip through Europe and Africa.

Since we have a teenaged daughter and no family in the country I had to cancel my ongoing trip and book a next-day return flight.

As you can imagine, this is not only causing my wife severe pain and discomfort for weeks to come, it has also made this one of the worst Christmas season for our family ever. On top of that, it has created a few thousand dollars worth of costs (healthcare, unscheduled return trip, cancellation of two week trips) for our family, which we have to cover out-of-pocket.

In the next few days I will personally contact the owners of this lovely pet to find out how they will face their "responsibilities". I hope that everyone who has a dog like this, and who treats or handles that dog without proper training or restraints is prepared to willingly cover their part in our Christmas story.

We will no longer tolerate ignorance towards others when it comes to responsibly handling pets. This might happen again ... and with an outcome worse than ours.
What responsibility? The owner of the dog had him safely secure in his own yard! How about his wife watches where she is going or finds another route to walk? Sounds like these people are the ones who do not want to take responsibility! Maybe the owner of the dog can enlighten them - if they show up at his front door step.

Dogs are going to bark, babies are going to cry, people are going to be pussies. Life is full of aggravations. :D

Do you think I can sue him for making a stupid post and elevating my stress level, due to dealing with idiots?

Forum List

Back