This is why we need a living wage

that is the reality for skilled labor.... and it costs me nothing now.

90% of the work in getting to a new reality is admitting there might be one. (The correct answer was, "Yes.")

If the correct answer is really yes, then you should be able to start your own discount store and pay employees that living wage. Then Walmart will have to raise their wages or go out of business to compete with your discount store.

I (let's just say) am 23, have a high school education, made good grades, and a kid. You think I should open my own store?

The Shocking Truth About What It Would Cost Us All If Walmart Paid A Living Wage

Watch the video.

$300,000,000 a year in food stamps just for walmart employees. Give them a living wage and we pay an extra 1.4% on their goods. One penny for every dollar spent at Walmart and those employees would not need to live on food stamps.

Eliminate EBT, problem solved.

Your premise in this thread is that EBT is a responsibility of the government when it is not. Your premise is to blame WalMart for that false responsibility when it is not.
Sigh.

I make it a point to ask the Walmart employees if they are happy working at our local store who has a woman, lesbian manager and the men and women I ask, always smile and say they do. :thup: The woman in Photo has worked there 12 years and makes $20.00 an hour with vacations and healthcare. That was last year. She said she wouldn't trade her job for the world. She can't stand to hear ppl put Walmart down. She is a successful person.
--------------------------

SNIPS:

Observe any hiring center for a new Walmart and you will see thousands of individuals eager to become a Walmart associate. Many already have jobs at fast food restaurants, supermarkets, or other retail stores. LaShawn Ross, 29, worked for McDonald’s and Winn-Dixie before taking a job at a brand new Walmart in Pinellas Park, Florida. Ross aptly summarizes the sentiments of many applicants: “They are huge, so I know there is a huge amount of opportunity.”

Nobody has to work at Walmart if he feels underpaid or underappreciated. He can always seek another job. So why do 1.4 million Americans choose to work at Walmart, many for well under $12 per hour? [2013]

Many entry-level Walmart jobs consist of comparatively safe and non-strenuous work such as stocking shelves, working cash registers, and changing price labels. Walmart also pays competitive wages, which, for these jobs, are generally under $12 per hour, because these positions require little or no work experience or technical skills. For anyone with modest credentials, these jobs provide good work experience—experience which they can use to eventually land a higher paying job.

more: Why Do 1.4 Million Americans Work At Walmart, With Many More Trying To? - Forbes

So Walmart is already paying the amount and more than 10.10 an hour. The amount that Obama wants to set as the new minimum wage.

And it is not reality for the average walmart worker.

are walmart workers skilled labor?

people need to pay their own way in life. If that means your average walmart worker needs to work three jobs....80+ hours a week..... then that is what they need to do to make a living.....

No, Walmart workers are not skilled labor. I was agreeing with you!

To your next point, most people that are ambitious enough to work 80 + hours per week are going to work their way into higher paying positions. (And I am still agreeing with you)

and then you have the slugs who just want to be paid more....... for doing nothing more.

Or, we could stop subsidizing Walmart with food stamps.

Or, we could stop subsidizing with food stamps
Fixed it for you.

Should we put those savings into education or tax breaks for the top income earners?
It's not a "savings", it's a reduction of expense.
How about tax breaks for everybody that pays taxes?
I'm unsure why you only want to limit the reduced tax burden to "top income earners".

people need to pay their own way in life. If that means your average walmart worker needs to work three jobs....80+ hours a week..... then that is what they need to do to make a living.....

To your next point, most people that are ambitious enough to work 80 + hours per week are going to work their way into higher paying positions. (And I am still agreeing with you)

I assume that leaves out reading the kid a bedtime story.

that's right. If you have qualms about that, dont have children you cant afford.

90% of the work in getting to a new reality is admitting there might be one. (The correct answer was, "Yes.")

If the correct answer is really yes, then you should be able to start your own discount store and pay employees that living wage. Then Walmart will have to raise their wages or go out of business to compete with your discount store.

I (let's just say) am 23, have a high school education, made good grades, and a kid. You think I should open my own store?

I think you should work 3 jobs and move out from mommas basement.

If the correct answer is really yes!

and then you have the slugs who just want to be paid more....... for doing nothing more.

Is this about you or the "slugs"?

Bill Gates did.
Steve Jobs did.
Frank Lloyd Wright did.
Mark Zuckerberg did.

Every one of them a college dropout.
Just sayin'

Bill Gates did.
Steve Jobs did.
Frank Lloyd Wright did.
Mark Zuckerberg did.

Every one of them a college dropout.
Just sayin'

Ever had a sociology class?

If the correct answer is really yes!

And I live in a very rural, poor part of the country. Still?

If you think you are smart enough to tell a highly successful business that they can pay their unskilled employees more, I say put up or shut up. Start your own business and pay the employees more for that unskilled labor. See how it works out for you.

Would you rather have Wal-mart pay the employ $15 an hour or the tax payer pay for food stamps?

It is nice to see that a company is willing to hire people to help them transition off assistance or allow parents the chance to work around their life schedules some. If the MW were $15 an hour, the poverty levels and benefits tables for public assistance will just be re-indexed to reflect the new cost of living and those people will still be receiving assistance and American labor costs will be even more out of alignment with foreign competition than they already are.
The reason some European companies build in the US is because our labor costs are lower than they are there.

Would you rather have Wal-mart pay the employ $15 an hour or the tax payer pay for food stamps?

It is nice to see that a company is willing to hire people to help them transition off assistance or allow parents the chance to work around their life schedules some. If the MW were $15 an hour, the poverty levels and benefits tables for public assistance will just be re-indexed to reflect the new cost of living and those people will still be receiving assistance and American labor costs will be even more out of alignment with foreign competition than they already are.
The reason some European companies build in the US is because our labor costs are lower than they are there.

Should the MW be done away with and whatever business and employees work out for pay is what it is?

Should the MW be done away with and whatever business and employees work out for pay is what it is?

You know, that is one of those questions that really trouble me. My mind says, "Yep", but the hairs on the back of my neck say "Shiver me timbers" to even think about such a system and how that would play out in small towns. I think it would work better in New York City than it would in Apple Creek wherever.

Back to Walmart hating for a sec--the Earned Income Tax Credit has a positive effect on employment for single moms and the working poor. (Policy Basics: The Earned Income Tax Credit ? Center on Budget and Policy Priorities) It bothers me to see people just trash companies that are assisting the people who otherwise have no job, get some work. Walmart, love them or hate them, really does help people work a schedule that works for them, and people I knew who worked there and moved elsewhere had no problem continuing to work for Walmart in their new location.

Now back to the MW, I saw this suggested somewhere else and I am still thinking about it-- perhaps the minimum wage should be based on the cost of living in the cheapest metropolitan areas in the country and let supply-demand drive it up from there as localized wages in places with higher cost of living. A small city then can compete better to lure in businesses/foreign investments and then let supply-demand in labor drive wages up from there. It is one of those ideas still simmering in my mind right now before I take a definitive position one way or the other.

--Sam

The whole idea of every job paying a "living wage" is just not feasible. Do you pay a "living wage" to the 16 year old lifeguard at the local pool?

Not every job is meant to be a career.

And the whole "people should be able to keep the job they like and make a living there" argument is lame. Quit whining about enjoying your job. Man up (or woman up) and do what you need to to make a decent living.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back