This Is Why We Hate The Liberal Media

bush lover

Feb 18, 2005
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5552554&ft=1&f=1001

I trust our President to decide who needs our Homeland Security money. This kind of liberal propaganda and anti-American crap is why we should abolish the so-called "NPR". Cut their funding and close them down. By the way, it seems to me that by disclosing the recipients of this anti-terrorist money, the "NPR" is aiding and abetting the enemy, just like the "New York Times."

bush lover said:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5552554&ft=1&f=1001

I trust our President to decide who needs our Homeland Security money. This kind of liberal propaganda and anti-American crap is why we should abolish the so-called "NPR". Cut their funding and close them down. By the way, it seems to me that by disclosing the recipients of this anti-terrorist money, the "NPR" is aiding and abetting the enemy, just like the "New York Times."

Why is tax payer money still going to NPR?

With all the radio stations out there why is our money being spent on this crap

Libs use the same logic to defend PBS. With over 500 cable channels why do we still need to pay for PBS

RSR, ignore bush lover. He pretends to be what he thinks is a far right wacko to get right wingers to sound dumb in his eyes. It'd be the equivalent of you going to democraticunderground and pretending to be a tree-hugging, sheep-fucking, bad smelling, anti-everything, aging hippy and talking about how much you hate Bush.

To respond to the actual article, typical Bush administration incompetence and outright mismanagement.

I support NPR (both figuratively and literally with financial donation0 and will continue to do. It presents a variety of programming including Car Talk, A Prarie Home Companion, Whaddya Know?, This American Life, and others.

acludem

acludem said:
To respond to the actual article, typical Bush administration incompetence and outright mismanagement.

I support NPR (both figuratively and literally with financial donation0 and will continue to do. It presents a variety of programming including Car Talk, A Prarie Home Companion, Whaddya Know?, This American Life, and others.

acludem

I tend to doubt NPR articles, but I would classify this not as Bush incompetance (the man doesn't do EVERYTHING, you know), but instead as typical, rampant government incompetance.

For the second part, I think NPR's non-news programming is mostly good. Having it free of commercials also makes it appealing. However, I don't like the idea of being forced to pay for it. It could probably succeed just fine off of private donations.

I don't think the government should subsidize any radio stations or TV channels. It's not that NPR or PBS are bad; it's that the federal government has no authority to spend money in such a manner. If PBS went away, Sesame Street would be picked up by FOX or WB or Nickelodeon, because it's the best kid's program out there. The same would happen to all the good programs on PBS.

insein said:
It'd be the equivalent of you going to democraticunderground and pretending to be a tree-hugging, sheep-fucking, bad smelling, anti-everything, aging hippy and talking about how much you hate Bush.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

MtnBiker said:
Would the content of NPR give them enough of a market share to survive without government funding?

The obvious answer to this is absolutely not. NPR has a very limited listener base -- mostly confined to academics and other pipe smoking liberals. Most people in real America do not listen to NPR, and I suspect a great number have never even heard of it. If NPR were forced to make a profit based on advertising revenue, which most radio stations are forced to do, the station would not make a profit. NPR is in much the same boat as Amtrack.

So if people using free will support the advertisers on other radio outlets that they listen to because of content, why should they also support something they do not listen to?

Perhaps congress should create the NPT - National Public Theaters. They could show moives that other wise would not be distributed to the free paying market. School bus loads of kids to go and see An Inconvient Truth.

NPR could probably survive on satellite radio I would think. Actually, from what I understand, they (and other minor radio stations) could survive in the conventional radio market if it weren't for the FCC. I wish I could find the article I'm thinking of, but apparently the bureaucratic inertia of the FCC is the biggest obstacle to having a wider spectrum with more radio stations. People bitch and moan about Clear Channel taking over all the radio stations--well duh, there's a very (artifically) limited number of them in a given geographic region, due to government. If there were hundreds or thousands of potential slots, they would be hard-pressed to buy them all out.

edit: hopefully the FCC's reason for existence will cease very soon:

http://www.mises.org/story/1881

edit2: I think this is the article I was thinking of. The real history of government interference in radio.

http://www.mises.org/fullstory.aspx?Id=1662

Forum List

Back