This is why the IRA

You can make non-deductible contributions to an IRA and let them grow tax-deferred until you take them out, at which time you would pay the taxes on the growth but not the non-deductible contributions, since you would have already paid the tax on them.

Don't be so ignorant. Annual contributions are limited, that includes non-deductible contributions. Romney filled his IRA by lying about the value of assets he put into it.

You're the ignorant one fuckchops. I have rolled ESOP money, SEP, and 401k money into my IRA. There are many other qualified plans that can be rolled into a self directed IRA.....

A slow and growing portion of the "Left", when it comes to Romney's wealth, sound more and more like "Birthers" and McCarthyites everyday. It's pretty desperate and paranoid for a group that generally claims to be confident in a second term for President Obama.

I have an IRA.

So do I, as does my wife. We don't have a hundred million bucks in either one.

I'll say it again this has nothing to do with illegality. This is a character issue. The IRA accounts were set up so the people of average means could have tax free funds after retirement.

If it comes out that Romney was gaming the system, and there is no way he wasn't, this is just going to look like a guy gaming the system that was meant for the middle class.

This is the very ugly face of greed. Couple this up with his tax free offshore accounts and you have a man with unimaginable wealth trying to preserve the last penny at his country's expense.

Legal maybe. No way is it pretty. It is not going away.

Did Romney take anything from you to get what he has? Jealousy is an ugly, ugly thing.

You can make non-deductible contributions to an IRA and let them grow tax-deferred until you take them out, at which time you would pay the taxes on the growth but not the non-deductible contributions, since you would have already paid the tax on them.

Don't be so ignorant. Annual contributions are limited, that includes non-deductible contributions. Romney filled his IRA by lying about the value of assets he put into it.

You're the ignorant one fuckchops. I have rolled ESOP money, SEP, and 401k money into my IRA. There are many other qualified plans that can be rolled into a self directed IRA.....

Those things have limitations as well, causing them to fail to account for Romney's IRA balance. You must be too poor to notice these limitations. Besides, your backdoor IRA theory is blown by the fact that Romney hasn't spent very much of his life in a position to contribute much to something like an ESOP.

Since dividends and capital gains are currently taxed at 15%, and withdrawals from your IRA are taxed at your regular income rate, it would take a pretty stupid person to put undervalued assets into an IRA. Any value gained from a faster growth rate by deferring taxes on earnings would be eaten up by the higher tax rate upon withdrawal.

Those things have limitations as well, causing them to fail to account for Romney's IRA balance. You must be too poor to notice these limitations. Besides, your backdoor IRA theory is blown by the fact that Romney hasn't spent very much of his life in a position to contribute much to something like an ESOP.

Wow, you really are one stupid idiot. You don't even know what an ESOP is do you? :lol: :clap2:

Since dividends and capital gains are currently taxed at 15%, and withdrawals from your IRA are taxed at your regular income rate, it would take a pretty stupid person to put undervalued assets into an IRA. Any value gained from a faster growth rate by deferring taxes on earnings would be eaten up by the higher tax rate upon withdrawal.

The tax-free gains within the IRA is a bird in the hand. Lower tax rates on capital gains sometime in the future is a bird in the bush. You know what they say about a bird in the hand? Both liberal and conservatives want capital gains taxed the same as regular income, so if either of them get their way, Romney wins. (Liberals want to raise capital gains rates. Conservatives want to drop regular income tax rates to less than 15%)

I also don't think that Romney is stuffing the IRA with assets heavy in capital gains or dividends.

Forum List

Back