This is why people hate cops

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by airplanemechanic, Jul 11, 2019 at 6:08 PM.

1. TRFjr

TRFjr VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +252
    so aren't you a bigot for holding animosity and distrust for all of a group for the actions of a few in that group?

2. Pogo

Pogo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +51,808
  3. fncceo

fncceo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,022
    I work with female cops every day. They make up almost a third of my division. They are some of the best operators I've ever worked with.

Policing isn't about being a tough guy ... policing is about communications. Use of force is what happens when communications breaks down.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. JoeMoma

JoeMoma Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,473
    Harry would probably agree with you.

5. shockedcanadian

shockedcanadian Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,206

There are bad apples in any career, but when you give police such massive powers, it demands swift and powerful punishment for what he did. We have a really bad problem of lying police Canada too, and it's caused a ripple effect within society. People have less character and sympathy for one another as they feel "our own authorities get away sometimes with murder". I often compare Canada to East Germany, and I'm more than half serious, our covert apparatus is a security threat to citizens AND our allies and their businesses.

There is a Canadian joke that is addressed specifically to the RCMP but it applies to other agencies:

"Why do Canadian police ride horses?"

"I don't know, why?"

"You can't stack that much B.S on a pony".

Sad but true too often.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 7:11 PM
  6. fncceo

fncceo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,022
    If you remember, at the end of that film, 'The Enforcer', Dirty Harry's life was saved by his female partner. Who lost her own life in the process.

7. JoeMoma

JoeMoma Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,473
    Yep, so Harry was only half right, she got herself killed but not her partner.

I of course post the previous in jest. Female cops are great.

8. shockedcanadian

shockedcanadian Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,206

I recall being a young guy, a kid really, and I worked at the local supermarket. This placed was packed on Saturdays, these cops walked the grounds and also directed traffic.

There was an older cop, who often paired with a younger one. The differences between them were striking. Anyways, the older cop would call me aside to hang out with him when he went for a smoke (back when it was more standard for cops to take smoke breaks). I'd chat with him on the side of the store.

He shared a lot of stories and we got along fairly well. One day, he says to me, "you see that guy over there (the younger cop)? "Yeah". "He's not going to make retirement". I was puzzled, and didn't want to pry as he was an authority figure.

He went on, "in my 30 years as an officer, do you know how many times I've pulled my gun"? "No" I answered. "Not once. The reason is, I'm much better with my mouth than my weapon". He then went on to point at this cop who was literally barking orders at people, some of it warranted I suppose as people get crazy in the heat and their parking skills are horrendous. I did notice though he would yell at people often, a power tripper of sorts, he enjoyed it.

Anyways, he tells me "that guy is too wound up, too tense, he's escalating interactions with people all the time. You don't want to do that when you're a police officer because it puts everyone in more danger, you calm the situation.

He used to tell me some great stories. Some of it went above my head, but he did work in Chicago and even in the 80's he explained how rough it was, but he did well. I sometimes wonder how his life went, he imparted some good information on an impressionable kid.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. miketx

miketx Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73,099
    Cops got no legal reason to come to my house. The last one that did, I had a gun in hand.

10. whitehall

whitehall Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,730
    Call me old fashioned but when push comes to shove, men are men and women are female. Given equal circumstances most male cops would rather have a man next to them in a combat situation if they dared tell the truth without fear of being prosecuted.

• Agree Agree x 2