This is why College in America costs so much....the U.S. government...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Yep......

The reason college is creating a financial problem for families sending kids to get an education can be linked back to the Federal Government and the 4th Greatest Lie......"I'm from the Government and I am here to help."

College Rising Cost: Federal Subsidies Elephant in the Room | National Review

He writes:

She fails to even fleetingly mention one thing unique to American higher education that has been an enormous factor in driving up costs: the federal student financial assistance programs. The money from those programs has provided universities an opportunity to raise fees aggressively, using the proceeds to fund a very costly and unproductive academic arms race, including ultra-posh buildings, climbing walls and lazy rivers, and college sports programs that are out of control both financially and morally.

That omission is not surprising. Progressives can never bring themselves to admit that any of their “compassionate” programs like minimum-wage laws, rent control, or educational subsidies have adverse effects.

Vedder also points out (based on his long experience in higher ed) that most college leaders have no interest in cost control. They would much rather compete on prestige and luxurious amenities than on price.

His conclusion “sticks the landing,” as they’d say in gymnastics:

“Government has been the problem, not the solution. In the era before big government came to dominate higher education, fees grew less rapidly than people’s income, enrollments rose, and America became acknowledged as the world’s leading center for learning at the highest levels. We can return to high quality, affordable higher education, but only if we’re willing to end federal subsidies. It’s time for liberals to understand that.”

Yep......

The reason college is creating a financial problem for families sending kids to get an education can be linked back to the Federal Government and the 4th Greatest Lie......"I'm from the Government and I am here to help."

He writes:

She fails to even fleetingly mention one thing unique to American higher education that has been an enormous factor in driving up costs: the federal student financial assistance programs. The money from those programs has provided universities an opportunity to raise fees aggressively, using the proceeds to fund a very costly and unproductive academic arms race, including ultra-posh buildings, climbing walls and lazy rivers, and college sports programs that are out of control both financially and morally.

That omission is not surprising. Progressives can never bring themselves to admit that any of their “compassionate” programs like minimum-wage laws, rent control, or educational subsidies have adverse effects.

Vedder also points out (based on his long experience in higher ed) that most college leaders have no interest in cost control. They would much rather compete on prestige and luxurious amenities than on price.

“Government has been the problem, not the solution. In the era before big government came to dominate higher education, fees grew less rapidly than people’s income, enrollments rose, and America became acknowledged as the world’s leading center for learning at the highest levels. We can return to high quality, affordable higher education, but only if we’re willing to end federal subsidies. It’s time for liberals to understand that.”

It's not just the government. The universities themselves go out of their way to buy unnecessary rubbish, like golf carts. Why does a university need golf carts or a massive stadium for football, or to pay for football scholarships and all of that nonsense?

The total 2018-2019 cost of attending Harvard College without financial aid is $46,340 for tuition and $67,580 for tuition, room, board, and fees combined.

Just to give you one example.

I believe the reason behind the high cost of attending college is for a few reasons.

To attend the very best and prestigious college such as Harvard (Yale, Princeton, and others), is for only the strict few. Although, they "claim" they aren't "biased". They are for a reason. They don't want just anyone attending. So, the higher the tuition, the least affordable it will be for the "average" American teen.
I attended a community college. And they run much better than any of the prestigious "high-leveled" colleges. Just my personal opinion.

The total 2018-2019 cost of attending Harvard College without financial aid is $46,340 for tuition and $67,580 for tuition, room, board, and fees combined.

I believe the reason behind the high cost of attending college is for a few reasons.

To attend the very best and prestigious college such as Harvard (Yale, Princeton, and others), is for only the strict few. Although, they "claim" they aren't "biased". They are for a reason. They don't want just anyone attending. So, the higher the tuition, the least affordable it will be for the "average" American teen.
I attended a community college. And they run much better than any of the prestigious "high-leveled" colleges. Just my personal opinion.

Yes, elitism. Harvard is the place you go to to get "HARVARD" next to your name. Same with other Ivy League universities, Oxford and Cambridge. Other countries have similar things.

People talk about "good" schools without actually know what makes the school "good". Happens at all levels of education, because education is difficult to quantify, these schools have set about sell their school rather than just doing good education.

Yes, elitism. Harvard is the place you go to to get "HARVARD" next to your name. Same with other Ivy League universities, Oxford and Cambridge. Other countries have similar things.

People talk about "good" schools without actually know what makes the school "good". Happens at all levels of education, because education is difficult to quantify, these schools have set about sell their school rather than just doing good education.

I could be wrong. But I think it really doesn't matter these days what college you go. Even if it's one of the elite colleges. Because, after college, I have seen people not even having a decent job. A year later after they just graduated from a University. I have seen many "community" jobs getting them.

So, it goes to show you...a Harvard grad seems to have trouble getting a good job than an average grad from a community college.

If Football programs brought in money, it would stand to reason that those with the largest football programs would have the lowest tuition. There doesn't seem to be much difference between those campuses with the football program and those without.

I could be wrong. But I think it really doesn't matter these days what college you go. Even if it's one of the elite colleges. Because, after college, I have seen people not even having a decent job. A year later after they just graduated from a University. I have seen many "community" jobs getting them.

So, it goes to show you...a Harvard grad seems to have trouble getting a good job than an average grad from a community college.

Huge difference between Harvard and Flordia State. Not much difference between Arizona and Arizona State.

Huge difference between Harvard and Flordia State. Not much difference between Arizona and Arizona State.

Yes, a huge difference! Florida State is not one of the "elite" Universities - such as Yale and Harvard. But it is one of the good colleges.
I think "community" colleges are the new trend. Since just about "no one" (outside making under $100k a year) can afford Harvard or even a good college like Florida State.

Yep......

You should really stick to repeating NRA propaganda.

Here's the real reason why tuition has skyrocketed. Because the states aren't subsidizing universities like they used to. As a result, the universities have to compete for Student Dollars, and they spend a lot of time marketing and creating amenities so that students find their campus more appealing.

To give you an example. When I went to UIC back in the 1980's, Tuition was only $384.00 a quarter, with another $117.00 for fees. Not bad. Who picked up the rest of that? The State of Illinois, which subsidized the U of I system. Oh, there were problems, Urbana was considered the real "U of I" and Chicago was that campus for the City Kids. Still a pretty okay campus, though.

Now - Flash forward. Tuition at UIC is $5232 a Semester, fees going up to 1612.. Now taking into account they went from Quarters (really, Trimesters) to Semesters, the annual cost has gone from 1503 a year to a whopping $13688 a year. (If you factor in inflation, the 1983 cost should be $3879 today.)

So what went up? Well, again, as I said, part of it is that the budget coming from the legislature has gone down. Funding for state colleges has gone dropped 61%. Enrollment is down. Other expenses are up, such as health care for students. (Part of those fees i mentioned). So those costs are being passed on to Students.

Yes, a huge difference! Florida State is not one of the "elite" Universities - such as Yale and Harvard. But it is one of the good colleges.
I think "community" colleges are the new trend. Since just about "no one" (outside making under $100k a year) can afford Harvard or even a good college like Florida State.

Community colleges (of which I'm a graduate) are fine. The Trend? Online universities with no professor, little instruction, and (somehow wink wink, nod nod) accreditation. Biggest joke ever.

Yep......

You should really stick to repeating NRA propaganda.

Here's the real reason why tuition has skyrocketed. Because the states aren't subsidizing universities like they used to. As a result, the universities have to compete for Student Dollars, and they spend a lot of time marketing and creating amenities so that students find their campus more appealing.

To give you an example. When I went to UIC back in the 1980's, Tuition was only $384.00 a quarter, with another $117.00 for fees. Not bad. Who picked up the rest of that? The State of Illinois, which subsidized the U of I system. Oh, there were problems, Urbana was considered the real "U of I" and Chicago was that campus for the City Kids. Still a pretty okay campus, though.

Now - Flash forward. Tuition at UIC is $5232 a Semester, fees going up to 1612.. Now taking into account they went from Quarters (really, Trimesters) to Semesters, the annual cost has gone from 1503 a year to a whopping $13688 a year. (If you factor in inflation, the 1983 cost should be $3879 today.)

So what went up? Well, again, as I said, part of it is that the budget coming from the legislature has gone down. Funding for state colleges has gone dropped 61%. Enrollment is down. Other expenses are up, such as health care for students. (Part of those fees i mentioned). So those costs are being passed on to Students.

Oh STFU. He was right, you are wrong (as usual). It is government involvement that jacked up the price of college.

It motivated schools to lower their admission standards.

Here's what often happens:

Non-college material person gets accepted into school and qualifies for loans.

Person maxes out loans, flunks out. The school got their money, they don't care.

Uncle Sugar picks up the tab.

The taxpayers get fucked with that system.

I've seen someone from an elite college walk into a job when she wasn't the best candidate for the job. Funnily enough she had a nervous breakdown after 3 months.

There is more to it than just the name on your degree. But the name on the degree can open doors that other names won't open. Sometimes you have a silver spoon, you still have to make use of that silver spoon.

Yep......

He writes:

Right wing myth

Helping people finance college does not escalate costs. It is all part of the conservative goal of only the wealthy being able to afford higher education

I've seen someone from an elite college walk into a job when she wasn't the best candidate for the job. Funnily enough she had a nervous breakdown after 3 months.

There is more to it than just the name on your degree. But the name on the degree can open doors that other names won't open. Sometimes you have a silver spoon, you still have to make use of that silver spoon.

Oh yes, I can relate to that. My sister who graduated from a prestigious University can't even get into a tech job (like Google). And she had a Master Degree in Computer Science.
I went into a "community" college and I had no problem getting a career in the auto business.
Go figure!

The biggest influx of money into higher education was the GI Bill. It enabled millions who otherwise could not have afforded a college education to attend college

It did not lead to a spike in educational costs

I know college used to cost about 15-20% what it does now.

Something needs to be done about that.

I paid my college with a part-time job and tutoring.

That awesome.

So let's look at that. Going back to my above example.

When Joe went to college as Mr. Young Dumb College Republican in 1983, tuition/fees as I said was $1503 a year at UIC.

Minimum wage in 1983 was 3.35. So working a minimum wage job, I could have paid for that working 448 hours a year or 8.62 hours a week. Now, back in the day, I was in the IL National Guard, which gave scholarships, and worked two minimum wage jobs for about 35 hours a week. And I took a full class schedule. And was involved in student politics, and had to deal with two parents with terminal illnesses. Not sure how I got through it all.

Okay, flash forward to today. The cost of tuition and fees are 13688 a year. Minimum wage is 8.25 in IL, so you'd have to work 1659 hours a year to pay for college. Or 31 hours a week, just to pay for college.

Wow. That's before you are paying for food, transportation, housing, etc.

I know college used to cost about 15-20% what it does now.

Something needs to be done about that.

I paid my college with a part-time job and tutoring.

That awesome.

So let's look at that. Going back to my above example.

When Joe went to college as Mr. Young Dumb College Republican in 1983, tuition/fees as I said was $1503 a year at UIC.

Minimum wage in 1983 was 3.35. So working a minimum wage job, I could have paid for that working 448 hours a year or 8.62 hours a week. Now, back in the day, I was in the IL National Guard, which gave scholarships, and worked two minimum wage jobs for about 35 hours a week. And I took a full class schedule. And was involved in student politics, and had to deal with two parents with terminal illnesses. Not sure how I got through it all.

Okay, flash forward to today. The cost of tuition and fees are 13688 a year. Minimum wage is 8.25 in IL, so you'd have to work 1659 hours a year to pay for college. Or 31 hours a week, just to pay for college.

Wow. That's before you are paying for food, transportation, housing, etc.
States used to contribute more to public universities. Conservatives have continually funneled that money off. The result has been higher tuition costs

Oh STFU. He was right, you are wrong (as usual). It is government involvement that jacked up the price of college.

No, what jacks it up is that 1) You really can't get a good job without a bachelor's, so they have you by the short hairs and 2) States have cut their university spending by huge amounts.

Person maxes out loans, flunks out. The school got their money, they don't care.

I agree, we have too many Red State bumpkins getting into college and wasting everyone's time... but the real problem, again, is that most jobs demand a bachelor's degree.

Now, before I started my own business, I was let go from a company along with two other buyers about the same age and experience level.

I was able to land a new gig almost immediately because I had a college degree.

The guy with only some community college took about four months to land a new gig.

The lady with no college took nearly a year to find a new job.

No, what jacks it up is that 1) You really can't get a good job without a bachelor's, so they have you by the short hairs and 2) States have cut their university spending by huge amounts.

I agree, we have too many Red State bumpkins getting into college and wasting everyone's time... but the real problem, again, is that most jobs demand a bachelor's degree.

Now, before I started my own business, I was let go from a company along with two other buyers about the same age and experience level.

I was able to land a new gig almost immediately because I had a college degree.

The guy with only some community college took about four months to land a new gig.

The lady with no college took nearly a year to find a new job.

As usual:

tenor.gif

Forum List

Back