This is what Psychoblues is talking about

Psychoblues

Nov 30, 2003
North Missisippi
Edited to add the link Psycho neglected to add:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...ome+i+"nancy+greggs"&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

In Response to Col. Jeffrey Snow
Posted by NanceGreggs in General Discussion: Politics
Fri Jun 30th 2006, 08:04 PM
By Nancy Greggs

This morning you stated that the US could lose the war in Iraq because public support here at home is dwindling due to negative media coverage.

Well, I hate to be the one to break it to you, Jeffrey, but it’s not the coverage that is the problem here. It is the mounting casualties, both military and civilian. It is the wounded who come home day after day, only to realize that the freedoms they left to fight for no longer exist.

Our soldiers are not being abandoned by the populace; they are being abandoned by the government that sent them into this quagmire in the first place. They come home to find their benefits have been gutted, and their pensions have been slashed. Some of them come home to find their families facing bankruptcy, because the administration that sent them into combat in the first place have not provided even the basic necessities for their spouses and children to survive while they have been away. Some of them come home to find their jobs gone. Some of them don’t come home at all.

You have complained about the negative press this debacle is getting, and the fact that all we hear is the bad news and none of the good. Well, the obvious question would be: Where IS the good news?

While I doubt that public opinion can be swayed at this juncture, may I offer a few suggestions that might result in a more positive outlook?

Perhaps if the American public were to see their brave fighting forces given the equipment necessary to keep them safe, like sufficient body armour and vehicle armour, they might think a little more positively. An announcement that our soldiers are no longer showering or brushing their teeth with fetid water might also go a long way in terms of seeing things in a better light.

I can pretty much guarantee that a headline in every US newspaper that Halliburton has been forced to return the billions it has pocketed, money meant for rebuilding the nation we have so systematically destroyed, would brighten everyone’s outlook immensely. A few still photos of Baghdad at night, lit up like Times Square because the electrical grid is now working without a hitch, along with some shots of Iraqi children playing safely in the street while their parents set out for work that pays a decent wage – you’d be amazed at the reaction that would get right here on the home front.

Shutting down Abu Ghraib and declaring an end to the unjustified detainment and torture of innocent Iraqi civilians would put a smile on a lot of American faces. And the prosecution of the higher-ups, in the military and in our own government, who are responsible for these atrocities would probably lead to dancing on every Main Street in the USA.

You said, "I would hope we get the time and support we need to finish this mission." Had you stated what ‘the mission’ was, or how we will know when that mission is accomplished, you might have received a better response. We were told years ago that the mission had already been accomplished. When did it get un-accomplished? Or was it never really accomplished at all? The day you or anyone else can answer THAT question, truthfully and unequivocally, I assure you the mainstream news coverage will be positive and widespread.

Many Americans have sacrificed their loved ones to this war. They are being forced to spend their own hard-earned money to equip them for battle because the military won’t. They have had to bear the financial and emotional burden of caring for returning soldiers whose minds and bodies have been shattered. They have buried their own children, whose remains sometimes come home shipped as ‘freight’, because this government doesn’t have the common decency to ensure that a soldier’s final journey is conducted with dignity and care.

We, as a nation, watch as our fellow citizens fall into poverty, as our neighbors become homeless due to natural disaster, as our hospitals close and our children’s educations suffer for want of decent funding, as our jobs are outsourced. And we watch as our soldiers die, allegedly to accomplish a mission that no one can define nor explain.

And in the face of all of this, in the face of the billions of taxpayer dollars that either cannot be accounted for, or have wound up in the pockets of blatant war profiteers, in the face of the unending suffering the Iraqi people are enduring, you stand there and complain about the poor press.

Sir, you may not be the best PR person for this war. Your reasons for its unpopularity are ridiculous, and your articulation of those reasons less than sincere. But I will give you credit for one thing: You’ve got a lot of fuckin’ nerve.

I'll bet you have an excuse?

Psychoblues

Psychoblues said:
By Nancy Greggs

This morning you stated that the US could lose the war in Iraq because public support here at home is dwindling due to negative media coverage.

Well, I hate to be the one to break it to you, Jeffrey, but it’s not the coverage that is the problem here. It is the mounting casualties, both military and civilian. It is the wounded who come home day after day, only to realize that the freedoms they left to fight for no longer exist.

Our soldiers are not being abandoned by the populace; they are being abandoned by the government that sent them into this quagmire in the first place. They come home to find their benefits have been gutted, and their pensions have been slashed. Some of them come home to find their families facing bankruptcy, because the administration that sent them into combat in the first place have not provided even the basic necessities for their spouses and children to survive while they have been away. Some of them come home to find their jobs gone. Some of them don’t come home at all.

You have complained about the negative press this debacle is getting, and the fact that all we hear is the bad news and none of the good. Well, the obvious question would be: Where IS the good news?

While I doubt that public opinion can be swayed at this juncture, may I offer a few suggestions that might result in a more positive outlook?

Perhaps if the American public were to see their brave fighting forces given the equipment necessary to keep them safe, like sufficient body armour and vehicle armour, they might think a little more positively. An announcement that our soldiers are no longer showering or brushing their teeth with fetid water might also go a long way in terms of seeing things in a better light.

I can pretty much guarantee that a headline in every US newspaper that Halliburton has been forced to return the billions it has pocketed, money meant for rebuilding the nation we have so systematically destroyed, would brighten everyone’s outlook immensely. A few still photos of Baghdad at night, lit up like Times Square because the electrical grid is now working without a hitch, along with some shots of Iraqi children playing safely in the street while their parents set out for work that pays a decent wage – you’d be amazed at the reaction that would get right here on the home front.

Shutting down Abu Ghraib and declaring an end to the unjustified detainment and torture of innocent Iraqi civilians would put a smile on a lot of American faces. And the prosecution of the higher-ups, in the military and in our own government, who are responsible for these atrocities would probably lead to dancing on every Main Street in the USA.

You said, "I would hope we get the time and support we need to finish this mission." Had you stated what ‘the mission’ was, or how we will know when that mission is accomplished, you might have received a better response. We were told years ago that the mission had already been accomplished. When did it get un-accomplished? Or was it never really accomplished at all? The day you or anyone else can answer THAT question, truthfully and unequivocally, I assure you the mainstream news coverage will be positive and widespread.

Many Americans have sacrificed their loved ones to this war. They are being forced to spend their own hard-earned money to equip them for battle because the military won’t. They have had to bear the financial and emotional burden of caring for returning soldiers whose minds and bodies have been shattered. They have buried their own children, whose remains sometimes come home shipped as ‘freight’, because this government doesn’t have the common decency to ensure that a soldier’s final journey is conducted with dignity and care.

We, as a nation, watch as our fellow citizens fall into poverty, as our neighbors become homeless due to natural disaster, as our hospitals close and our children’s educations suffer for want of decent funding, as our jobs are outsourced. And we watch as our soldiers die, allegedly to accomplish a mission that no one can define nor explain.

And in the face of all of this, in the face of the billions of taxpayer dollars that either cannot be accounted for, or have wound up in the pockets of blatant war profiteers, in the face of the unending suffering the Iraqi people are enduring, you stand there and complain about the poor press.

Sir, you may not be the best PR person for this war. Your reasons for its unpopularity are ridiculous, and your articulation of those reasons less than sincere. But I will give you credit for one thing: You’ve got a lot of fuckin’ nerve.

Psychoblues

Who needs an excuse? All I see is typical loony-left gibberish. Nothing new here. Just teh same-old, worn-out BS arguments. Y'all REALLY need to try and get with reality.

Not unlike the typial Republican response below. If you see something you dont like you spin it off as "Typical loony Left-gibberish" . No Gunny, the things stated above are fact for many veterans that come home today. Not all of course but alot. You basically refuted nothing in the article and just came back with an insult. This sort of reply usually means the original poster posted something you your feeble little brain could not comprehend thus you come back with the typical republican reply below. Nice job.

GunnyL said:
Who needs an excuse? All I see is typical loony-left gibberish. Nothing new here. Just teh same-old, worn-out BS arguments. Y'all REALLY need to try and get with reality.

T-Bor said:
Not unlike the typial Republican response below. If you see something you dont like you spin it off as "Typical loony Left-gibberish" . No Gunny, the things stated above are fact for many veterans that come home today. Not all of course but alot. You basically refuted nothing in the article and just came back with an insult. This sort of reply usually means the original poster posted something you your feeble little brain could not comprehend thus you come back with the typical republican reply below. Nice job.

Rather hard to be a "typical Republican response" when I am not one.

Refuting arbitrary, concocted, spinning out of control arguments is pointless, and regardless the actual state my brain is in, it always seems to get over on your alcohol-fueled buddy, not to mention YOUR idiotic, extremist arguments.

Oh, that's right, you NEVER have made an argument, have you? I don't recall ever seeing anything you have posted besides personal attacks and extreme left-wing bullshit.

T-Bor said:

Hmmm, kinda like the pot calling the......................:read:

Psychoblues said:
By Nancy Greggs

Psychoblues

Every side of a debate usually has some truth to it.

Such is the case with the article posted by Psycyho, there is some truth in it, you just have to look hard.

The troops DO come home, that's true.

There is a difference of opinion among the troops as to what our role in the region should be, that's true.

There HAVE been sacrifices, that's true.

MSM couldn't fine their ass with a flashlight, and a mirror, that's true.(Well, MAYBE with a mirror.)

The left IS getting ready to duck, and run, that's true.

Once the feel good boys, and girls, realized that this was a WAR, and not some police action, that could be played like a video game, they were ready to pack it in, that's true.

The posted article, and the opinions expressed by Psycho have little if any foundation in reality, or truth, that's VERY true.

If the left, and the rest of the turn coats would put as much energy into supporting the WOT, as they do running from the truth, the world would be a much safer place, and THATS THE TRUTH.:salute:

GunnyL said:

Not to dismiss anything here, but Gunny, what is the reality?

Yeah Gunny, if its such Gibberish you tell us what the reality is. Please provide sources with your opinions, we would like to see links to back up your fairy tales.

USMCDevilDog said:
Not to dismiss anything here, but Gunny, what is the reality?

Which statement in the article is NOT slanted left? The very first statement is that the US could lose the war because public support at home is dwindling because of negative media coverage?

Calling the war a "debacle" is not negative media coverage?

Implying that civilians are purchasing gear for military personnel because the administration/military will not isn't negative, besides being an exaggeration beyond belief?

The whole body armor issue itself is evidence of negative media coverage, and how it affects public opinion at home, and even had some troops convinced they didn't have body armor.

Well, bullshit. They had body armor. The idea that the latest greatest could be issued in mass quantity to each and every military person is unrealistic and absurd.

The there's the Haliburton thing. So, they got the gov't contract. So, the make a profit. That's why they are in business. Yet the media would have you believe they someohow got the bid because Cheney has a connection, and that every dime they earn is a dishonest one. Again, bullshit.

Then there's the continual yammering about how we "can't win." This of course, according to the left in no way is meant as being unsupportive of the troops. I mean, it only crushes morale after a period of time, but what's a little morale bashing compared to a sensationalized, bullshit story?

Abu Ghraib ad nauseum. Speaking of blown so far out of proportion to the reality of what happened it's in another universe. Seven soldiers violate the UCMJ. They are brought home and all but one is serving time ( that case is due up), and the sentences they received in no way reflected the nature of their crimes. Child molestors get off lighter.

The way the media represented the story you'd have thought the US was running a state-sponsored, SS-style concentration camp. They acted as though humiliation was on par with shoving bamboo slivers under people's nails and lighting them on fire. And they beat that dead horse for a couple of years. People such as psycho are STILL beating it.

Many Americans have sacrified their loved ones." Bullshit. Sympathy play shifting the sacrifice from the servicemember to a family member. Yes, family members have lost family members to this, and every other war we have ever been in. About 3,000 people lost someone on 9/11.

Point is, those servicemembers voluntarily joined, and the sacrifice is theirs to give. Ascribing the sacrifice to others cheapens it, and dishonors the member's service.

I would say Greggs IS the best PR person for the left wing extremist, lying, anti-anything Bush does movement. She's got every worn out lie the left and biased media has perpetrated on the American public since Day One.

T-Bor said:
Yeah Gunny, if its such Gibberish you tell us what the reality is. Please provide sources with your opinions, we would like to see links to back up your fairy tales.

:clap: Very good.

I have decided upon an appropriate response that mirrors the intelligence level and quality of your posts:

:finger:

GunnyL said:
Which statement in the article is NOT slanted left? The very first statement is that the US could lose the war because public support at home is dwindling because of negative media coverage?

Implying that civilians are purchasing gear for military personnel because the administration/military will not isn't negative, besides being an exaggeration beyond belief?

The whole body armor issue itself is evidence of negative media coverage, and how it affects public opinion at home, and even had some troops convinced they didn't have body armor.

Well, bullshit. They had body armor. The idea that the latest greatest could be issued in mass quantity to each and every military person is unrealistic and absurd.

The there's the Haliburton thing. So, they got the gov't contract. So, the make a profit. That's why they are in business. Yet the media would have you believe they someohow got the bid because Cheney has a connection, and that every dime they earn is a dishonest one. Again, bullshit.

Then there's the continual yammering about how we "can't win." This of course, according to the left in no way is meant as being unsupportive of the troops. I mean, it only crushes morale after a period of time, but what's a little morale bashing compared to a sensationalized, bullshit story?

Abu Ghraib ad nauseum. Speaking of blown so far out of proportion to the reality of what happened it's in another universe. Seven soldiers violate the UCMJ. They are brought home and all but one is serving time ( that case is due up), and the sentences they received in no way reflected the nature of their crimes. Child molestors get off lighter.

The way the media represented the story you'd have thought the US was running a state-sponsored, SS-style concentration camp. They acted as though humiliation was on par with shoving bamboo slivers under people's nails and lighting them on fire. And they beat that dead horse for a couple of years. People such as psycho are STILL beating it.

Many Americans have sacrified their loved ones." Bullshit. Sympathy play shifting the sacrifice from the servicemember to a family member. Yes, family members have lost family members to this, and every other war we have ever been in. About 3,000 people lost someone on 9/11.

Point is, those servicemembers voluntarily joined, and the sacrifice is theirs to give. Ascribing the sacrifice to others cheapens it, and dishonors the member's service.

I would say Greggs IS the best PR person for the left wing extremist, lying, anti-anything Bush does movement. She's got every worn out lie the left and biased media has perpetrated on the American public since Day One.

:clap:

GunnyL said:
:clap: Very good.

I have decided upon an appropriate response that mirrors the intelligence level and quality of your posts:

:finger:

That guy is stalkerishly creepy. ((shudder))

Have I said that before, to you, about him?

Yes Said1, he is creepy. Now about what Col. Snow said:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/2006/06/mil-060630-dod01.htm

DoD News Briefing with Col Snow from Iraq

Our area of responsibility consists of western Baghdad, stretching from the heavily urbanized areas along the Tigris River west to the farmlands of Abu Ghraib, encompassing more than 300 square kilometers and home to nearly 1.3 million Iraqis. There are more than 200 mosques and religious centers. Key among them is the Khadimiya shrine, one of the holiest shrines for Iraq's Shi'a population. Three Iraqi army bases and the Abu Ghraib internment facility all fall within our boundaries, along with the Baghdad International Airport complex.

Within our battlespace there are neighborhoods that are predominantly Shi'a or Sunni, and others that are mixed. In the rural Abu Ghraib area, the population runs to 90 percent Sunni. Linking these areas are several key routes which serve as arteries for travel in and around Baghdad.

Our mission has been to conduct full-spectrum operations in partnership with Iraqi security forces to neutralize anti-Iraqi forces while simultaneously training those forces.

In order to accomplish this mission, we identified six objectives early on.

The first was to neutralize anti-Iraqi forces.

The second was to train Iraqi security forces so that they are capable of enforcing the rule of law.

The third was to facilitate the establishment of competent, local councils responsive to the needs of the people.

The fourth was to improve the quality of life for the Iraqi people.

The fifth was to improve economic opportunities.

And lastly, we wanted to find ways to enhance the perception of Iraqi security forces and the government of Iraq.

So the question is, well, how did we do?

I believe that in conjunction with our Iraqi counterparts, we have contained, suppressed or disrupted the insurgencies in areas once considered safe havens. Early in the deployment, success was indicated by the positive referendum and national election turnout that were a direct result of our combined operations to interdict insurgent networks and mitigate risk to the political process.

Over the past four months, success has been seen in the disruption of Sunni and Shi'a rejectionists and terrorist networks across the area of our responsibility. The enemy has been forced to adopt new tactics as our combined offensive operations have continually disrupted insurgent activities.

I'm pleased with the progress of Iraq security forces. We have trained two Iraqi army brigades and one national police brigade that to a certain extent can plan, execute and sustain counterinsurgency operations with limited coalition support. Though some logistics assistance is necessary, the Iraqi security forces are making progress in providing security for the Iraqi people.

When we first arrived, we were partnered with one Iraqi brigade, and U.S. forces controlled over two-thirds of the battlespace. As we depart, there are two Iraqi army brigades, a national police brigade and a more robust Iraqi police force operating in our area, and Iraqi security forces are in the lead in two-thirds of the battlespace, with coalition forces in tactical overwatch.

Because of the growing effectiveness of Iraqi security forces, we were able to expand coalition efforts to the west of Baghdad. We have been able to disrupt insurgent networks and the route lines they used to travel into Baghdad by denying insurgents crucial support zones and destroying their caches.

The Iraqi security forces are getting better every day, and although they have growing pains like any new army, they have demonstrated a strong will to fight and protect the Iraqi people. It will only get better with time.

Coming into this mission, I told soldiers our mission was to work ourselves out of a job, and we've worked hard to do that. As I am sure you know, our brigade is not being replaced by another brigade. It is being replaced by portions of three coalition battalions under the command and control of three different brigades. We are making progress.

As far as local councils are concerned, we're making progress, but it's uneven progress. In urban areas, the security level facilitates the execution of local governments. In the rural areas, we're having a harder time. While the councils are meeting consistently, they still struggle to get everyone to the meetings and to communicate with higher councils in Baghdad due to security concerns.

We have worked hard to improve the quality of life of Iraqis. We've executed over 50 medical operations to provide medical care to Iraqis in areas where care isn't available. In our area of operations, we have spent over $150 million to enhance the quality of life for Iraqis. We have built water treatment plants, improved water distribution and sewer systems, rebuilt electrical infrastructure and renovated 35 schools. We've made progress, but there is still more work to be done. Our brigade has developed numerous projects that other brigades will see through to completion.

I believe the soldiers of the Warrior Brigade Combat Team have made an historic role in this country, and I believe their efforts have made a difference. There have been setbacks and sacrifices, but we depart optimistic about the future of Iraq. We have witnessed two historic election periods that have set the foundation for the new Iraqi government.

For the first time in decades, all Iraqis now have a voice in their future. This momentum will be hard to reverse, and even the Samarra bombing did not sway the Iraqi people from their belief that all Iraqis can live together, regardless of their religious background.

The insurgents tried to split the people along religious lines, but this tactic backfired. Reporting by Iraqis on insurgent activity has increased significantly since we arrived. Iraqis want to see the enemies of freedom and oppression defeated as much as we do.

It will be a long and challenging endeavor, but in the end, I feel democracy will prevail. As long as we continue to support the Iraqi government and the Iraqi security forces continue to improve, then the insurgency will wilt away from the burden of its own oppression. You can only kill your own people for so long before they say, "Enough," and turn against the terrorists.

And they are turning more each and every day. Yes, some are turning to militias, but most are turning to the government and the security forces to solve these problems.

I think this is an important point for the American people and the media to understand. My personal opinion is that the only way we will lose this war is if we pull out prematurely. But in the end, I understand this is a political decision that the American people and our elected representatives will have to make, based on recommendations from our senior leadership. I would hope we get the time and support we need to finish this mission.

This war is a battle of the wills. The insurgents will never defeat our soldiers' will to fight, ever. So they've taken aim at the willpower of the American people. Our soldiers may be in the cross-hairs every day, but it is the American voter who is the real target, and it is the media that carries the message back each day across the airwaves. So when the news is not balanced and it's always bad, that clearly leads to negative perceptions back home.

Now, I'm not saying bad things don't happen. They do. But there are also good things going on, and we are making progress. Our soldiers believe in this mission, and they're proud of what they've done for the people of Iraq.

I tell you this because 746 soldiers from this brigade have reenlisted, and we accomplished our fiscal year 2006 mission in only seven months -- a remarkable achievement. These soldiers understand the mission, and they're willing to continue the fight.

In closing, I want to tell you how proud I am of the discipline and teamwork that each unit and soldier within this brigade has demonstrated this last year. The soldiers continue to amaze me with their dedication, loyalty and motivation. They have represented the 10th Mountain Division and our country well while working for two different divisions.

The Iraqi people and security forces respect the 10th Mountain patch and the results we have achieved in the last year. We've worked hard to build upon the success of those who preceded us, and we knew that the mission would not be complete when we depart.

Our successes come from being team players, forging a relationship with Iraqi civilians and security forces, conducting combined operations with the Iraqi security forces and, perhaps most importantly, from the support of our families and the American people.

At this point, I'll be happy to take any questions you have.

questions and answers found at site...

GunnyL said:

Thank You! :clap: :salute:

I love how republican call leftist comments biased. Like republicans arent biased towards their own viewpoints ? This kind of crap has been going on for decades. What really bothers me about politics is people who actually subscribe to a party refuse to see any other viewpoint other than the viewpoint of their own party. They refuse to see things as what is right and wrong, just what is republican and democrat. Like....ummm.. Gunny. He mentioned nothing about how the Veteran benefits have been gutted nor did he provide any links to backup his claims. Typical republican retort. Gotta love it.

T-Bor said:
I love how republican call leftist comments biased. Like republicans arent biased towards their own viewpoints ? This kind of crap has been going on for decades. What really bothers me about politics is people who actually subscribe to a party refuse to see any other viewpoint other than the viewpoint of their own party. They refuse to see things as what is right and wrong, just what is republican and democrat. Like....ummm.. Gunny. He mentioned nothing about how the Veteran benefits have been gutted nor did he provide any links to backup his claims. Typical republican retort. Gotta love it.

All good points T-Bor!

My only question, how is your comments any different than those of those, that call you to task?

Yes, this kind of "crap" HAS been going on for decades, so why, all of a sudden, has the left captured the "high ground"?

Its NOT a matter of "refuse" T-Bor, its a matter of PERSPECTIVE, do YOU understand the difference?

As to the Veteran benefits, its a "smoke screen" young man, nothing more. The veteran's haven't lost ANY benefits. Show me one, just one benefit, keeping in mind I'M a Nam veteran, that the veteran's have lost.

I'm MORE convinced, that the people that have served this country over the last fifty years have GAINED benefits.

Google Veterans benefits, and once you plow your way through all the BULL SHIT, I think you'll agree as well.

Forum List

Back